Tell me about a New England cruise...

I just have to ask...

How was the McDonald's lobster roll? :D

Heh, it won't make Zagat's top 10, but I wouldn't say it was *bad* rest stop food. Imitation lobster on an untoasted (but unsoggy) roll, and if I remember correctly, taken out of the same fridge where they store their salads.

I wanted to try it because, well, why not? You can have a filet-o-fish anywhere! I've heard there's Indian food at McD's in London, too, that I'd love to try. And could you even imagine the possibilities of McHaggis in Scotland?!?! :)

Bringing back memories of this wonderful cruise on the Jewel. The second time in Bar Harbor we walked along the coast. Lots of beautiful views. A nice paved walkway. There is a cute store there called "Bark Harbor" which wells pet related items. I would do this cruise a third time, but this Oct. we are doing the Med. Greek Isles.

Jan

Here's another website you might find useful for info on Portland, Maine:

http://www.portlandmaine.com/

As a resident of Portland, I would have a hard time recommending where to eat. There are literally dozens of great restaurants, bars, pubs, and so forth within walking distance of the Waterfront. The Old Port section of town is a great place for wandering around, shopping, and eating.

I think I read where Portland has more restaurants per capita than any other city in the USA except for San Francisco.

Jan In Maine ~ H.R? I'm completely blank on this. :eek: When we travel up there we stay in Rockport. Love the mid-coast region and Camden.

Geddy's is a real hoot and Randy is a riot! We usually hang out at the bar for a few hours, have a few pints and enjoy the food. My husband loves the lobster pizza and gets it every time. It's a fun place and everyone is so nice. It's our favorite spot in Bar Harbor. Been to a few other places but it's not the same. Ben & Bill's is great and I usually will stock up with some chocolate. Between that place and Wilbur's in Freeport, we bring home about 20lbs. of chocolate every year (I'm not kidding). Most of it is for us! LOL Did you ever go to Jordan's (Ellsworth) for a lobster roll? Husband goes nuts over that as well. We have friends near Ellsworth and see them every year we go up there. Been to the Atlantic Brewery which is a fun spot. We almost had property in Otis but it fell through sad to say. Love the area and being close to Bar Harbor and Bangor was wonderful. Bangor is a beautiful city. All of Maine is beautiful. I envy you for living up there. We'll be going in a few weeks and I can't wait!

Cltoles ~ Congrats on your cruise! Portland is a great city as well. Lots of neat shops, restaurants and a nice area to walk around. If you get hungry, one suggestion is Gritty McDuff's (another favorite place but we go to the one in Freeport). Great pub food/beer, excellent fried scallops, haddock sandwiches, etc. Not sure where you can get a good lobster up there since I was in Portland once. Jan In Maine ~ Can you help out with the lobster restaurants in Portland? A place to see in Portland is the "Portland Maket". It's a really neat place.

For those that will be cruising to NE and stopping in Bar Harbor/Portland, here are some links for you to check out.

Portland Market

http://www.portlandmarket.com/main/home.html

Gritty McDuff's ~ Portland

http://www.grittys.com/

Acadia National Park

http://www.nps.gov/acad/home.htm

Bar Harbor

http://www.barharbormaine.com

Geddys ~ Bar Harbor

http://www.geddys.com

Maine Travel

http://www.gotravelmaine.com

http://www.visitmaine.com/home.php

Address for Ben & Bill's ~ Bar Harbor (no website for them)

Ben & Bills Chocolate Emporium

66 Main Street, Bar Harbor, ME 04609

Windjamming ~ Thanks for the lobster roll report! LOL It's just one of those things you just have to try. If I could eat lobster I might try one as well just for the heck of it. So sad, I go to ME and I can't eat a lobster, only a piece due to a sensitive system. Luckily, I can drink the local beer and I have to say that ME has some awesome beers.

Janice M ~ Did you take a walk along the Shore Path by the Bar Harbor Inn? It's a great walk and so scenic. Been in Bark Harbor as well and it's a cool store.

Superdeal ~ Thanks so much for the Portland website! I already saved it and started looking at it. Such a great city and it has a unique character to it. When DH/I were touring Portland a few years ago, we were amazed of how many restaurants, pubs, etc. this city had. Great place to visit and I would go back there in a second. I envy you as well for living in a beautiful state.

Congrats to all of you that booked a NE cruise. If you do stop in ME, enjoy it since Portland/Bar Harbor are wonderful ports to visit.

If you have 13 days to spare I would highly recommend Celebrity's Constellation for it's Canada/New England cruise.

I did it last October and it was the best cruise I have done to date. This cruise is even better this year because it has more ports in Maine (which mine didn't have) and cruises down the St. Lawrence River and stays TWO days in Quebec (which is fabulous) then it cruises the Sagaunay River for it's whale watching and turns around and goes back up the St. Lawrence. Anyway, it's a wonderful cruise and one I would do again.

Okay if you don't have 13 days to spare, then I would suggest the Jewel out of Boston. The Jewel is a wonderful ship. I just did a B2B on her in December.

We Were On A Princess Cruisetour Going To Cities In Canada And Niagra Falls Which Takes Your Breath Away, Acadia Ntl Park Which Is Absolutely Lovely. Then Cruising The New England States That I Loved. We Went In 2004. Going In 2007 When Princess Decides What Ship Will Be Going There. So Far, There Are No Brochures Or Info On Those Cruisetours. We Went On The Maple Leaf Explorer Cruisetour. First Class All The Way. If Anyone Knows What Ship Will Be Sailing In 2007 Please Let Me Know.

Well - I just wrote a very long reply and it never did post ("service unavailable") - its too bad too as it had lots of interesting information!!!

thanks for the compliment Merion Mom - I really do enjoy living in Maine and talking about it too. Jan

LetsParty - no this cruise was September of 2003. IT was crazy.... people were very upset, becuase RCCL or TA did not call anyone about the change and just handed fliers at the terminal iN New York, it was all over the news here in the Tri State area of New York - my friend even said she saw me waiting in line at the terminal :eek: we did dispute it with our credit card company and we did get back the price of the cruise. Long Story, RCCL lost on this one with the Citibank Lawyers... they did a great amount of things in the wrong.... don't flame me I just called the credit card company venting while In halifax and they asked me if I wanted to dispute it and I (being 25 at the time) said what's that..... etc...

we did the best of it!

We also drive there all the time. We love licolnville beach... we LOVE THE WHALES TOOTH PUB! it is to die for. that is near the Candem area. We referred people to that area and restaurant and they all loved it! we will be back again soon...not this year :(

Everyone on this thread has focused on how beautiful Maine is...I just want to add that, if you've never been to New England, definitely plan a couple of days in Boston. I have spent a lot of time there since my brother moved there about 10 years ago. It is a fantastic city with such a variety of museums, wonderful American history (which I love), good shopping and great food. (Don't miss eating Italian in any of the restaurants on Hanover Street in the North End.)

It's also great for kids -- not only the historical sites, but also there are at least three days of children's museums around for every age.

Only thing I would not do in Boston is DRIVE. I have no fear driving in NYC but Boston is crazy. Very easy to get lost. Get a hotel (need to search for a decent price or just stay in the Marriott Waterfront) and let the Bostonians do the driving.

After you experience this city, you'll be ready for a relaxing cruise -- and can enjoy the beauty and peacefulness of Maine.

Tennislover ~ There are just a few of us that loves Maine! LOL

NE has many beautiful places to visit whether by car or cruise. I've never been to Boston but do want to go there since the city has so much to offer and it's phenominal. I'm happy to read that the city has a lot for the kids to explore. I might have one by the time we go (DH/I are trying to adopt) so that would be a lot of fun for our child.

I'm hoping to take a NE/Canada cruise out of Boston since DH/I never been on Jewel. I heard that Jewel is gorgeous. It's on the list but not sure when we'll do it.

Renata102 ~ You definitely had an interesting cruise in 2003. You did the right thing by making the best of it but had a right to complain as well. If you're going to ports where the weather is much cooler, then RCI and TA's should have informed everyone. People pack shorts and summer type clothing. In NE you can't do that since the weather changes so quickly. You need to pack a little bit of everything just in case. At least you obtained your money back.

Back to Maine (LOL). Been to Lincolnville Beach but never ate at the Whales Tooth. Heard many wonderful things about it. Will have to try it this year. Had lunch at the Lobster Pound and it was pretty good. Hope you get back to Maine soon. Do you travel all over the coast or stay in one area each time you go?

Maine is beautiful, but it can be very different living here and being a visitor here - Maine is more than just the coast, we have mountains, blueberry fields, potato fields, mills, lakes, rivers and streams. We have one of the highest tax burden of all the states, wages can be low, suicides high, we are very highly government regulated, and the winters are long and cold with large oil bills, at times it feels as if the whole state is one small town (even though most will say that the state is really 3 separate states) - but I still love it - it was a great place to raise kids - even if most of my kids think its boring and can't wait to leave.... funny they talk about leaving and love to go exploring in other areas, but they still remain here.

LetsParty - HR (Harbor Ridge) is a time share that is on the quiet side of Mt Desert (Southwest Harbor) - the last time I checked it was a 5 star resort - you must have yours at the Samoset - those are nice too - we used to take the kids to the hotel there for mini vacations - swimming, games and good times - they had a blast - its a lovely area.

If you haven't had the oportunity to explore Castine you really should take at least one day there - the town is seeped in history with the outline of a old fort (Fort George) a nice lighthouse, museum, a self done walking tour of the town with placards every so often about the history from the 1600's forward. Also visit Fort Knox, Scoodic (sp?) point, (wild and not as touristy as some areas of the coast) and everyone should take the ferry to Monhegan (sp?) Island at least once or twice. I spend some weekends in the summer with my youngest playing tourist and exploring all sorts of unknown areas - this summer will be the western part of the state and mining for tourmaline (the state stone - probably won't find any, but sounds like fun).

Lastly (I have a tendency to write long replies!) Lobster - I've said this before - never under estimate the power of advertising. Until the 1930's when airplanes became available for shipment, lobster was considered "poor peoples" food. We still have a statute on the books that Maine State prisioners cannot be required to eat lobster more than 3 times per week (they complained about having to eat it too much).

Around here lobster is considered picnic food and is best eaten outside with lots of butter, clams and paper towels to soak up the mess. I've had lobster at McDonalds, and agree that they aren't anything to write home about - but I'm sure that the lobster is real as the only imitation sea food I know of is sea legs which is a fake crab meat product (totally gross). Lobster rolls do not have the same type of bun that most people are used to having a hot dog in, rather normally they are a bread roll that sometimes is grilled but many times not. I like the rolls that are made from lobster claws as I find them sweeter while the meat in the tail is much chewier. (DH completely disagrees on that one!).

All in all, I hope that everyone and anyone has the chance to visit all the beautiful places in New England and especially Maine - as it truly is a remarkable place. Jan

Hi All,

I heard on the radio last night that Maine will be handing out $100 coupons good lodging throughout the state to encourage cruise passengers to return for another visit.

They didn't give a lot of details- just mentioned that they wanted to track when and where the coupons are subsequently turned in, and the home base of the guest.

I think they said this promotion would run this summer, but may extend into the fall foilage season, too.

As for the Jewel, she is a beautiful ship without feeling crowded.

Happy sailing, Wendy

Heh, it won't make Zagat's top 10, but I wouldn't say it was *bad* rest stop food. Imitation lobster on an untoasted (but unsoggy) roll, and if I remember correctly, taken out of the same fridge where they store their salads.

No, it is real lobster, just not that much of it. I wouldn't bother if I were you. It is cheaper than a lobster roll in a restaurant, but you definitely get what you pay for. It is a novelty item. Eat a real lobster roll and you'll definitely see the difference.

I agree wholeheartedly on Acadia National Park. It is definitely one of our country's great treasures!

Jan In Maine ~ Just checked out Harbor Ridge, great resort. They are affiliated with II timeshare company. We own at the Samoset and are with the RCI timeshare company. We've been going there for ten years and the view is spectacular. We always take a walk to the Breakwater Lighthouse and sit out there and watch the lobster boats, ferries and schooners go by. We even traveled to Samoset in the winter so I can go skiing at Camden Snow Bowl (best skiing I've ever done). Even went smelting so DH/I graduated to Maine-iacs! LOL It's a pretty area but ever town is unique in it's own way so all of them are great. The people are wonderful and we've made many friends over the years which makes our vacation even more enjoyable.

I agree with you that living in ME is much different than visiting it. I have friends near Ellsworth and I've heard some wild stories over the years. Also with having friends at the Samoset, good stories as well. DH/I were so close to moving up there and actually wanted to get away from the craziness around here. The property in Otis was about a mile from the pond and I couldn't wait to go kayaking. Found a place to take riding lessons as well. The land across from the property we almost bought was a blueberry field (32 acres). It was heaven and the best of everything. It hurt so much that it didn't pan out for us. For now we'll enjoy our vacations and our favorite places in ME.

Thanks for the advice on checking out those places. We were at Little Schoodic once and plan on going back. Beautiful area and very scenic. We were thinking of checking out the islands at some point and make it a day trip. Always wanted to go but due to rain over the past few years we didn't bother. Maybe this year we'll be lucky with better weather.

As the saying goes.. Maine ~ The Way Life Should Be!:)

Powelweb ~ Thanks for the USA article. I do hope people will take advantage of the coupon and visit Maine again.

I heard so many wonderful things about Jewel that I have to go on it someday. Also stay in Boston prior to cruise and tour the city as well. Best of everything!

Archived