Grand Turk Update: Not Quite Ready for Prime Time but Dune Buggies are GREAT!

Host Caroline

I think some folks on Grand Turk are going to have to put in some major OT to have the new cruise center ready by mid-June... that being said we had a ball there last week on our honeymoon doing the Dune Buggy Adventure (a tour also offered by Princess acc. to their website). But first things first: Margaritaville has pool, drinks, a new beer (Latitude) and a partially finished but open upper level where you can hear yourself think.. right now limited menu but nachos were good and the margaritas overpriced but pretty much worth it. Store was bustling. There are a few vendors (local) open there and a Goodmark Jewelry Store... that wasn't doin' much business. The locals we met were very cordial and the crew of the dune buggy adventure great!! Hope you get Dennis Miller as your guide if you book it... They only take 10 buggies with two people so if you are even thinking of this, book it soon and online.. it sells out online weeks ahead on Carnival. The ride is a guy's dream--fast and very "off road" and if you're adventuresome like me it is "the" way to see Grand Turk IMHO..Fun rides with dust in your face thru the salt flats to Dunn Hill, then into town.. lots of off road, beautiful views and a stop in quaint Cockburn Town (not much there but some picturesque buildings like the pink Supreme Court and Methodist Church)... Historic lighthouse is very interesting and great view of the water.. a good watering hole as well for a cold drink, souvenirs etc.

Island itself is pretty clean as Caribbean goes... they keep it clean and there's very little "stuff" laying about.. that goes a long way AND there wasn't the overt pushiness that you find on some islands.. hopefully it will stay that way.

I liked this port for the excursion we took and the fact that it's unspoiled.. be forewarned however that there is NOT much to see, no "shopping" in town etc. If you want a beach and drinks and a pool then IMHO you just need to stay put at the Cruise Center.. hoping they make it thru hurricane season.. this is going to be a very nice facility when it's done and IMHO much nicer than Costa Maya.

Any questions feel free to ask.. for more info on GT visit http://www.grandturkcc.com

Thanks for the info, we'll be going to Grand Turk in August on the Crown Princess (hurricane season willing, of course!!) I've enjoyed Costa Maya on the past, and a quieter island is a nice change from the bustle of San Juan and St Thomas, or even Bermuda, which are our other stops. It's all about being prepared so you know what to expect......

Thanks, Caroline. Sounds like a fun excursion.

Although still unspoiled, I've read that many celebs have homes on the island. From the pics I've seen, it sure looks like paradise with quite a few very high end hotels/spas.

Looking forward to our visit on the Crown. ;)

Thanks for the congrats, Pam :)

Most if not all resorts are on Provo aka Provincales, which is maybe 35 miles or so from Grand Turk.. GT is the "capital" of the Turks & Caicos and there's not a lot going on there although as I said, then the Cruise Center is finished there will be more to do. Bruce Willis, Bill Gates and someone else whose name escapes me have homes on one of the islands near Grand Turk.

• 3 months later...

Archived