Dublin.....some questions

SF

We're thinking of taking the hop on/off tour bus while in Dublin. After reading about the traffic there I'm wondering if we'll actually get to see anything or spend most of our time stuck in traffic. Has anyone taken this tour before? Would appreciate any info.

Also, are there any good half day tours we can take to Malahide Castle from Dublin? Would like to do one in the morning. I think Grayline has one but would prefer getting some feedback from my fellow CC posters prior to deciding.

Last year Princess had a shuttle from and to the Pier to a central part of town. Most of the traffic jam is on this part so be sure to be on time to get the shuttle back because missing the last shuttle can cause problems. Once in town, the HOHO has fixed time tour but most of the important sights are within walking distances. If you get a group of 4 or 6, it is fun to wander around on one's own and stop for lunch and beer at one of the pubs. /Sultan

SF - we were on a day trip to Dublin only 4 weeks ago and, yes, the traffic is pretty horrendous but the HOHO bus is still a good way to get around. We thought it good value for money (I think around 14 euros each) and the commentary given by the drivers both interesting and humorous. As Sultan has said, the main places of interest are all within walking distance so a combined walking/HOHO experience is also a possibility.

You must visit the Guinness Brewery - the bus drops you right at the door. A free pint of the dark stuff is included with admission and there is a fantastic panoramic view of Dublin from the bar. Enjoy.

Malcolm

The HOHO bus also stops at the Jamieson Whisky distillery!

We will be in Dublin at the end of May and are planning to use the HOHO. Will post my impressions, if I remember when we return!

You may find more info on the EUROPE board.

Thanks for all the information. We'll probably take the HOHO and do a walking tour on our own to see some of the city sights since you mentioned they are within walking distance.

Anyone have info in regards to Malahide Castle?

Sultan,

Was there a charge for the Princess shuttle and did you just get off the ship and pay there or did you have to pre-purchase a transfer to town?

dileep,

Enjoy your trip and yes, please post a review when you return for all us who are still waiting anxiously for our trip.

Malcolm,

There appears to be two HOHO tours in Dublin. The Dublin Tours (green and cream buses) and also the City Sightseeing (red buses) which did you take? Wondering if there is any difference.

First a clarification -- we were on the Star Transatlantic. But before we left, I read the posts in the Europe Section / Golden (?) British Isle cruise last year and all of them mentioned a shuttle. Now for our cruise I will quote from the Patter:

"Local Bus Transfer -- Dublin: A local bus transfer service will operate from the ship to Dublin town. $4 per person each way can be charged to your shipboard account. You may purchase your ticket at the Tour Office or on the bus. The first bus will depart the ship at 8:30am and the last bus from town at 4:30pm."

We got a round trip ticket as we entered the bus and they charged it to our shipboard account.

BTW, the shuttle dropped us where the HOHO starts. /Sultan

Sultan,

Was there a charge for the Princess shuttle and did you just get off the ship and pay there or did you have to pre-purchase a transfer to town?

There appears to be two HOHO tours in Dublin. The Dublin Tours (green and cream buses) and also the City Sightseeing (red buses) which did you take? Wondering if there is any difference.

I can definately recommend the City Tour company the one with cream and green buses. We were in Dublin for a weekend at the end of February and took this tour. It has live commentary from the driver, rather than a taped commentary, and we hopped on and off a couple of different buses and the drivers were all very knowledgeable and entertaining! I have the tour leaflet here if you have any questions, and it also includes discount vouchers for entrance to the Distillery and the Guinness Storehouse.

If you have time visit Oliver John Gogarty's pub in Temple Bar, go upstairs for the live music. The food is very good there too.

Carol

Thanks Carol,

Does the brochure mention anything about a half day tour to Malahide Castle?

Also, do they have music at Oliver John Gogarty's pub at lunchtime? What type of prices do they have? We'll only be in Dublin for lunch as dinner will be aboard the ship. Don't want anything too heavy or too much as that would make us tired and slow us down for sightseeing. Always get kind of sleepy after a big meal. Can you get sandwiches, soups etc... there or is it main meals?

Another really interesting place to visit is the Kilmainham Gaol. The guide who gives you the tour (takes about an hour) makes the place come to life and you actually can walk in the cells etc. At Jameson Whiskey, be near the guide when they ask for volunteers and you can be a "taster" and receive a nice certificate at the end of the tour. Dublin is a wonderful place and is easily walkable. However, the jail is quite a distance from the other main sights.

Cheers, Pam

SF - We were on the green & cream HOHO bus. You also asked about Malahide Castle. I have a vague recollection of seeing tours to the castle advertised in one of the many leaflets we picked up - it might even have been the one on the tour bus. Maybe Cazz could have a look as she still has this leaflet.

dileep - We ran out of time on our day trip so had to give the Jameson Distillery a miss - and as a Scotsman you can imagine how much this hurt!! ;) Have one for me when you visit in May.

Malcolm

Sounds like the Green/Cream HOHO is the one to go with. Does anyone have the website so I can check it out? I do have the site for the Grayline buses which are red or yellow but not the other one. Thanks again.

Thanks Carol,

Does the brochure mention anything about a half day tour to Malahide Castle?

Also, do they have music at Oliver John Gogarty's pub at lunchtime? What type of prices do they have? We'll only be in Dublin for lunch as dinner will be aboard the ship. Don't want anything too heavy or too much as that would make us tired and slow us down for sightseeing. Always get kind of sleepy after a big meal. Can you get sandwiches, soups etc... there or is it main meals?

Try these links:

http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/coast_and_castle_tour.asp

There are plenty of places to eat and bars with traditional music but this one is probably the most famous and great fun:

http://gogartys.ie/pub.htm

I couldnt find a menu, but I remember having sandwiches - huge ones, that you can eat while listening to the music in the bar. If you have the time on this trip!

Hope this helps,

Carol.

Carol,

Thanks so much for the links. Did you just purchase the ticket for the HOHO when you arrived or did you pre-book it online? We're thinking of doing the combo both Malahide and the HOHO. We're not concerned about getting a ticket for the HOHO but the 10AM Malahide Castle tour may fill up so we're thinking about purchasing ours online before we leave.

Sounds like a great pub and we'll definitely be checking it out.

Appreciate your help.:)

Archived