Don't book early unless you have to

odiesam

I am always amazed that people think they are entitled to a credit or a refund if the price goes down, but would raise a stink so large that it would cover the whole world if the cruise line tried to charge them the higher rate if prices went up.

Just curious, you don't think you should be entitled to a credit or refund if the price goes down:confused: Why not?

Have you ever bought a large ticket item from a retailer and the next thing you know it goes on sale? You could have saved 100 or 150 dollars if you had waited till Sunday when the new sales started, but didn't even know that it was going to be cheaper in a few days. Take your receipt back to the store for a price adjustment. I have and dont feel that this would be any dif. I don't feel that it is being cheap, I think it is being smart. We have to stretch every dollar we can to the max. Rick

The way I look at it, the higher price is the premium I pay for booking early to guarantee myself a spot. So if I book early and still get the benefit of future price reductions, I'm pretty much getting to have my cake and eat it too. Don't get me wrong -- if I can get it, I'll probably ask for it, but I don't think a company OWES that to me. Price adjustments are only financially feasible because a some passengers aren't going to bother to ask for them. It's human nature for us to want as much as we can get, but at a certain point, if business isn't reasonably profitable for the company, service cuts are made or the company goes out of business entirely. So it can be unrealistic for us to get too self-righteous about what we're 'entitled to' as customers. They are in business to make money, after all. :)

I did not do the promo code however recalled my agent ... nice surprise after I asked about the past guest ... we got upgraded again, now from 8d on the empress deck to the panorama deck to cat 8I and still get our $60 OBC :D again thanks to everyone on here, other wise I would of never known! How sweet!! Persistence prevails!!!

Well I decided to check out my cruise date again (Victory Nov. 26/06) with a promo code dp7, and looks like the 4a we booked has gone from a 4c to a 4g, so I just called my TA now and left a message to see if she could get us obc? Is that how this works?

A greater profit is seen with onboard spend then on ticket prices. If they make you happy by giving you money back, you're more likely to spend money onboard. If you're happy, you're more likely to sail with carnival again. If you're happy, you'll tell all of your friend what a great time you had sailing Carnival. They want to make you happy so you'll spend more money with them over a long period of time. They give you credit/upgrades to make you happy so you'll spend more money with them.

Well I decided to check out my cruise date again (Victory Nov. 26/06) with a promo code dp7, and looks like the 4a we booked has gone from a 4c to a 4g, so I just called my TA now and left a message to see if she could get us obc? Is that how this works?

You haven't paid your final payment yet so if you purchased a 4a for xxx amount and that price is now lower CCL usually just adjust the price and gives you a new confirmation. You usually don't get the onboard credits until after you pay in full and are in the penalty phase.

Bill

I guess I don't know what I am doing. (yet) My TA called and said she called Carnival, and they told her that I would have to have my cruise paid in full to receive any kind of credit. Also that if my cruise was paid in full that they may or may not give me credit/upgrade. If I wanted to receive the upgrade to the g level now, I would also have to pay extra now. I really don't know how this all works, but I will just keep reading all of your great posts. I will try again after we pay for our cruise if the opportunity arises.

Thanks again.:)

...I then found out that the past guest price (promo code DP7) went down...

Bill

S.S.,

Thanks a bunch for the info. We are booked on the Glory for September 16. When I first booked the promo was good for a 8A to 8C balcony upgrade, Well I thought that was a pretty good deal.:)

When I read your post I went straight over to the Carnival website to check it out. It turns out that the promo for our sailing has changed from an 8A to 8C upgrade to an 8A to 8E upgrade.:D Not only that but its $60 pp CHEAPER!!!:eek:

I called Carnival (I booked directly with them) and when I told them what I had found they were more than happy to change my booking. So now we are booked in cabin 1010 on deck 10 (Panorama) for $120 less!!!:D :D

Is the category you booked in selling for less now then when you originally booked the cruise?

Bill

I didn't look at that originally. That is why the 4g would cost us more now too.:) I think I might have a better idea of what to do the next time I think about bugging my TA.

Thank you for your help!!:)

I am an agent and when prices drop, I'm always able to pass that on to the client. It's not because you are the top selling agent. I take a group every year and get group rates. If the individual rates eventually drop lower than me group rates, I always get the new rate. Maybe, your agent doesn't want to do the work.

Thanks to Terry who shared this on our roll call, the he heard about on this string...!!

With the price reduction, we just saved $80 each on our cruise. We had booked on one of the "Greatest sales" and got a Panorama deck cabin for the guarantee price, but now got the additional savings!!

The great thing is I called my PVP and found out he had already done the reduction without me calling!!

I already knew I had a great PVP, but now I have a greater apprecaition for him.

JB

I booked 18 months early for our Aug 7, Ecstasy cruise. We got a great price, however I did ask my TA if the price went down would be get refund, upgrade or credit? She told me that if it went down before final payment (price for same cruise, same date on the same ship) then I would get refund of the difference or upgrade of cabin. If price drops after final payment I would get upgrad and obc. I am now 87 days (but whos counting) out and the price has contiuned to go up. It is now 50 pp more. I check once a week. So I don't know how you can lose by booking early. If it goes down, worse case just cancel. If it goes up, you are ahead of the game. Please, I think this is a no brainer.

As far as talking to different people and getting different answers, all pvp are still just salesmen and women. So know that if you give more you will end up making more in the end, others have not learned that yet. But blame canival because you did not get the same deal as the guy in line next to you is wrong. You need to be an informed consumer and take responsibility for yourself. If you don't like the answer of the person you are talking to (and it is before final payment) cancel and rebook with someone you do like. But remember, when you are asking someone to do a favor (ie getting you a better deal) being nice goes a long way. Never raise your voice no matter what. You catch more flies with honey and sometime people forget that.

Happy cruising!

Ok wait, you are talking about after final payment correct? We just put a deposit down and wont pay until the very last minute for the balance, I did learn that. Final payment is final payment. However, a deposit you should get a price reduction if the price drops down, otherwise ppl would just cancel at a 100% refund and rebook....that's why the give the price adjustment. So....I'm assuming you are talking about booking and making the final payment. NEVER pay more than the deposit until you have to. Right?:( Also..........what's with these prices dropping? We were off the miracle and the price only went up.......I guess that is the difference between booking spring break huh?

Another thing........I'm honestly asking....why book with a TA instead of carnival directly. What do you get out of it? I know they can bundle your air and car but I tried that with two different TA's and they were actually more.....plus I think it's easier to get those reductions and upgrades if you deal directly with them. I found that out the last time. So if there is a good reason for going around the source and booking with a TA I'd like to know....maybe it's my TA, although I've tried three now. :o

Another thing........I'm honestly asking....why book with a TA instead of carnival directly. What do you get out of it? I know they can bundle your air and car but I tried that with two different TA's and they were actually more.....plus I think it's easier to get those reductions and upgrades if you deal directly with them. I found that out the last time. So if there is a good reason for going around the source and booking with a TA I'd like to know....maybe it's my TA, although I've tried three now. :o

I got my TA from the carnival websit. I entered my zip code and it gave me 2 in my area that are certified carnival TA's. She is local, she is knowledgable and sometimes I like someone I can talk face to face with. Sometimes you learn more from body language then what is being said. I can tell when someone is just blowing sunshine up my AXX (well you get the point) you can just see it on their face. But anyway, cruises are all she does. I did talk to 2 other TA's before I went to the carnival website. I didn't like either of them.

Yes, you can have a full refund up until final payment, but why would I want that? I did book the cruise to be on the cruise. So if I can get a refund on the difference of the dropped price and what I paid then all is good. Good luck!

Archived