Don't book early unless you have to

odiesam

To do the DP7 code you have to go to Carnivals page and act like you are booking the same exact cruise you are already booked on.

When you get to the part where you put in how many passengers etc there is a spot for promo code. It is right above your past guest number.Just put DP7 and continue on until you get to the pricing page.

Bill

I think it also depends on where you will be sailing. We booked a Med 2005 cruise a year in advance and within six months, the prices had tripled. You also may need to book early if you have restrictions re using airmiles or frequent flyer miles. We always book a guarantee and in 15 cruises we have only had two on which we did not receive upgrades.

I booked my Oct cruise last November and the price has dropped 3 or 4 times since then and I have always gotten the lower price.

I would keep calling. my overall price has dropped by $440.00 since I originally booked.

Kim

our cruise fare recently dropped and we call, got offered an upgrde from balc to higher balc AND $140 credit! We use a TA.

Try again and good luck.

MAO

Hey ev1, who can i call or email if i am outside the US?? i booked with Carnival´s representant in Venezuela, and they are not the helping costumer kinda persons

I booked more than a year before and i paid cash at the same booking time (2 OV GTY on the Valor and 1 BL GTY on Destiny)

I would love some onboard credit better than an upgrade but i dunno who to call or write

Thanks a lot

Here's the deal. Find a cruise you like at the price you like and book it. Don't worry about what other people are paying because: (1) people lie about what they pay, and (2) if you liked the price when you booked, what's the problem? If the price goes up, good for you, if it goes down, try to get credit but don't make it a huge issue.

Don't let buyer's remorse ruin your cruise. Someone out there is always going to get a much better deal (or at least claim to) . . . so don't worry about it. :D

Thank God for this thread, it has inspired me to pursue the best deal I can find. .. and that's what it has come to for me...

Originally booked thru TA, with IS gty, and was assured that she would continue to ck and pass on any better deals as they came available. Well, haven't heard anything from her (since final pymt. has been made).

So I get online and ck the CCL site and noticed that the price had dropped ~$55pp. So then I called CCL and was informed that the IS gty room rate had dropped $100pp or I could get a Balcony w/obstructed view for $10 more than my original rate.

So then I call my TA to inform her and get her to call and get me that same offer (since I have already booked thru her, my ability to chg things are pretty much null). She called me back, with CCL on the other line, and said that they couldn't find the $100 cheaper room rate ?!!?, but they could offer me the Balcony (7A).

I didn't want to tick my TA off, because at this point I feel like I am kinda at her mercy?, so said fine that I would like the 7A and didn't want to push it. But I must say, she seemed very unhappy that I had found myself a better deal.?!? She even told the person at CCL that it was "causing problems" by them giving out this kinda info to me. I thought to myself, "problems for who?"

So after considering this experience and the other posts here, I will really think twice about using a TA upon booking my next cruise... if seems to me that if you want the best deal , you have to find it and then pursue it until you are satisfied.

Lesson learned for us - don't book early unless you need a certain cabin(s). And yes we booked the supposed "busy" summer season "when prices will only go up!". We booked in February for the June 18th Miracle and I suspected at the time the prices seemed high but everyone said - summer prices! So my Carnival reservationist told me I would definitely receive an on-board credit if prices dropped after final payment. Prices dropped - yesterday - and I was told they could give me a $300 onboard credit but I had to lose my upgrade from 8H back to a BL.. So today I log in the Carnival website to see if there is a credit and with my past passenger discount the prices have now dropped to $500 less for an 8I (highest cat 8 balcony; extended) than what I originally paid for my BL; $200 less than yesterday's price and no they won't give me anything else . So I have a BL - guarantee; no cabin assigned while they are selling out the higher categories for lower. And they told me my original reservationist should not have told me about the credits and the person I spoke with last night should have told me once they adjust the price once for you - no more.

Whatever - I am tired of the fuss - it leaves a bad taste with me.

So lesson for the rest of you - don't book until 45-55 days out even in the busy season if you don't have to unless you like paying more!

i Booked early for New Years. i had too

I did not do the promo code however recalled my agent ... nice surprise after I asked about the past guest ... we got upgraded again, now from 8d on the empress deck to the panorama deck to cat 8I and still get our $60 OBC :D again thanks to everyone on here, other wise I would of never known! How sweet!! Persistence prevails!!!

I did not do the promo code however recalled my agent ... nice surprise after I asked about the past guest ... we got upgraded again, now from 8d on the empress deck to the panorama deck to cat 8I and still get our $60 OBC :D again thanks to everyone on here, other wise I would of never known! How sweet!! Persistence prevails!!!

That's exactly what CCL is counting on. People not knowing.;)

Bill

FIRST...ALWAYS book through a TA...You will never pay any more...and if you have the right TA, you will get a discount off of what the line charges direct...AND, for issues like this, much better to have the TA call the cruise line and fight it out for you...

SECOND ...ALWAYS book early...Sometimes rates go UP, sometimes they go down...it's a free floating market, supply and demand and all...But, by booking early, all you've really done is to purchase a cheap option (What's the interest rate on your bank account right now? I'd be surprised if it's more than 1.5%...Well, interest on $500 at 1.5% for a year is only $7.50!!!)...Because, you can cancel for a FULL REFUND any time up to final payment...So, for SIXTY-TWO and one/half cents per month, you've got a FIXED FUTURE PRICE...If fares go up, you'll be danged happy...If they go down, you can have your TA handle the renegotiation (and, despite what they tell you about "policy", they can do it more than once)...'

And, to the poster who claimed the best prices were at around 55-65 days out, hey, if true, no problem...If final payment is at 60 days out, then check the rates on Day 61...If they're selling your category, that means you should have no problem booking another cabin at that new low rate...BOOK IT, then cancel your prior reservation and recoup that deposit...You now have that great 60 day out deal...BUT, if the prices are HIGHER --or not available entirely, then smile and be glad you booked early...

I just booked an 8-nighter on the Liberty for July 2007--an 8A Guarantee...costing me $1360 per person including taxes and fees...Good deal? I think so...But, if a year from now, the prices are down from there, I'll just book another and cancel this one...but, I probably won't have to do that...because my TA will call Carnival and rework the deal... No problem...I have the best of both worlds...

You never know. My May 14 Victory cruise just kept going up... would have been $500 more per person if I waited 45 - 50 days out before booking. And the cruise sold out with more than two weeks before the cruise.

You never know.

You have to be happy with the price you book at. Kind of like buying something at the store, and 3 months later they have this wonderful srping sale where you could have saved a bundle.

Gosh... if you don't buy at all, you really save a lot.

Go and have fun, and don't let it bother you that someone got a better deal. Besides... maybe they will upgrade you to one of those 8I categories. You never know.

I hate misinformation. Just know this. You can always book a year or more in advance and cancel and rebook at a lower price at any time, for any reason, even if you have paid in full, regardless of who you book with, without penalty, up until the date that final payment is required which is usually 70 days prior to the sailing date for a 7 day cruise. Period. After that date, all bets are off, you may or may not get credit or an upgrade for a price drop. It's as simple as that. So if you have the luxury of waiting til the last minute to plan your vacation, you might be able to save a few bucks by waiting. In general, prices do go up closer to sailing date, so the odds are against you.

They should do it. Ask to talk to a higher authority. They will do it. They haven't fully compensated you. If not, don't tip.

That's sound advice.:rolleyes: If corporate CCL doesn't adjust your price just don't tip the workers that are making your vacation as good as it can be.<scratching head>

Bill

They should do it. Ask to talk to a higher authority. They will do it. They haven't fully compensated you. If not, don't tip.

crazidude, crazidude, crazidude.....sigh.:rolleyes:

I always book 8 to 10 months out and really shop around. Then when i fine the deal i want or need i show it to my TA and she gets it for me. I just booked the Carnival Miracle out of Tampa for Sept. 24 just a inside cabin. The coast was 190.00 dollars for the room and taxes and port charges was 214.22. A total of 404.22. I really dont think it is going to drop lower then that. I am happy with that and wont watch for a drop. This is alittle more then then i paid for last dec. carnival triumph 7 day trip. Also i was upgraded to oceanview on that. Dont buy a high price room. I would rather go on 2 cruises then 1

But everyone likes it there own way

I followed everyone's advice and called back AGAIN and talked to someone new again and this time they upgraded me to an 8G (extended balcony) - he said I could have had an 8I but the ones for 3 were all full AND I received my $300 on board credit -

and I know it for sure because it is stated ON MY DOCS WHICH JUST CAME IN THE MAIL!!!!! (for a 6/18 sailing!)

I am a little excited if you can't tell!

Lesson learned for us - don't book early unless you need a certain cabin(s). And yes we booked the supposed "busy" summer season "when prices will only go up!". We booked in February for the June 18th Miracle and I suspected at the time the prices seemed high but everyone said - summer prices! So my Carnival reservationist told me I would definitely receive an on-board credit if prices dropped after final payment. Prices dropped - yesterday - and I was told they could give me a $300 onboard credit but I had to lose my upgrade from 8H back to a BL.. So today I log in the Carnival website to see if there is a credit and with my past passenger discount the prices have now dropped to $500 less for an 8I (highest cat 8 balcony; extended) than what I originally paid for my BL; $200 less than yesterday's price and no they won't give me anything else . So I have a BL - guarantee; no cabin assigned while they are selling out the higher categories for lower. And they told me my original reservationist should not have told me about the credits and the person I spoke with last night should have told me once they adjust the price once for you - no more.

Whatever - I am tired of the fuss - it leaves a bad taste with me.

So lesson for the rest of you - don't book until 45-55 days out even in the busy season if you don't have to unless you like paying more!

You truly have no idea what you are talking about. Booking in February for a summer cruise is not booking early. For the best price always book early. Early booking is at least 12months in advance preferably more

I stick with my former statement - today with the glut of ships and berths - unless you need a certain cabin or cabin(s) - or need to book flights in advance - the deals are all in the last 60 days - let's face it final payment has been made - and I have cruised 5x previously = one in the summer (high time) once over Christmas (extrmemly high season) and thrice over spring break. These were all "high" season and ALL of these cruises except the Christmas one dropped incredibly in the 60 days prior.

I would NEVER book 12 months or more out - why give the cruiseline your money to hold?

Just my experience.

I am a little confused on some of this. No matter when you book, final payment is not due until like 76 days before your cruise. So, you should have plenty of options before then, including complete cancellation.

There are good experienced TAs, just like there are bad ones, and there are good customer service reps just like there are bad ones. For both of these, I would also say who you consider bad might not be "bad" but inexperienced. This is no different than any other large company you call. So, either knowing what they can or can't do before you call helps, as does getting to the right person (supervisor), as does having a good, experienced TA. In addition, different sailings sell differently depending on time of year, ship, itinerary, large group cruises, airline sales, and probably a dozen other factors. All of this is like trying to out guess the stock market. You may know trends and have educated guesses, but there is not a magical formula gaurenteed to buy at the lowest and sell at the highest. You just try to get as close as you can without killing yourself and driving yourself crazy about what you should have done.

So, if you can get a better deal on you own - Go for it! If you find out some information others may not know - share it please! I just don't think there is one single answer to all of this. (IMHO)

My observation is that on many cruises there does seem to be a point in the sales cycle where prices are reduced to build the numbers. I think it is more like 90 days out. After a week or so the numbers are either built sufficiently and the prices head back up or they may offer further reductions or incentives. I think much of it depends on the popularity of the cruise. The hot ones offer no discounts or incentives because they sell out with any...others require some prodding to get them going. It appears that all brands go to great lengths to ensure that cabins do not go empty.

Hi, I booked the Triumph for the Sept 30th sailing. I booked 2 - 8a cabins for 579.00 per person (military) then the price dropped to 529.00. I called Carnival and they adjusted my price. Is it likely this price will drop again or have I probably gotten the best price I will get? The regular fair is 679.00 for the same cabin. Thanks for your help, Rick

Archived