Carnival Junkie trying Royal Carib

sgriff17

Hey there everyone, I'm generally a big Carnival fan having been on 4. I've also been on one Princess and I would have to say, I ended up being happier with Carnival. (Food, free Ice cream, atmosphere, etc...) Princess had a few things that were nicer, but quite honestly most things were even.

I'm going on the Empress OTS to Bermuda in September...any of you have anything MAJOR to expect? Likes/dislikes? I'd ask this on the RCL board but I don't want to hear all the mindless Carnival bashing.

Thanks!

PS - Where have you been GLROUNDS?

I also have been on RCL, Princess, and Celebrity. We always stayed away from Carnival especially reading the posts on the other boards. Finally a cruise on Carnival came along we could not pass up and we realized the other boards are doing exactly what you said just bashing Carnival. We loved the ships, crews, and found other passengers on board were great.

Don't get me wrong RCL does a good job but for the uplift I cannot say they are worth it. It's funny but not to long ago I read a post about someone who took there first cruise on Carnival and bashed them about all the drunk passengers etc. A few days later Dateline (I think) did an expose on that very subject and what cruise line were the on? RCL

If you look at my signature you'll see I go back and forth between the two. I like them both and personally I haven't really noticed much difference in service levels. I think you'll have a great time.

I've been a forever fan of Carnival and wanted to try another line. We decided to cruise RCI on the Grandeur in December. We really liked the atmosphere and the service on Royal Caribbean at the beginning of the trip, but by the end of the week, the more subdued atmosphere turned into too subdued for our tastes. We like the activity that goes on at night on the Carnival ships. We also like the shows on Carnival much better than on the Grandeur. The one area that really made us decide on Carnival for our next trip is the food. We were surprised to find the food was just average. Even the desserts were unremarkable. There truly wasn't one item that I thought tasted great. We may consider Royal Caribbean again someday, but for right now, it's definitely back to Carnival for us.

Just returned from our first RCI cruise on Mariner of the Seas. I must say in all honesty....they have nothing on Carnival. We had a wonderful time, the ship was beautiful, we had an awesome room, but I think I prefer Carnival. Have a cruise booked on the Spirit in August and the Miracle in April '07. No RCI bashing....we had an awesome trip!

I've booked RCI too and actually had a period of feeling bad about it! I almost felt like we were betraying Carnival! Sounds silly I know.

We've booked the Grandeur out of New Orleans for December but also have our next CCL cruise booked for 2007. We got a great deal ($800 ea. for a Jr. Suite) with RCI and best of all, we're only an hour from port. I will say that if Carnival had a ship doing a 7 day out of NOLA, we would have stayed with Carnival.

I'll be taking my sister on her first cruise so it will be great for her. I hope to spend the week NOT making comparisons and just enjoying myself. Shouldn't be too hard to do but coming right after two wonderful cruises on the Liberty, I'm a little spoiled. :D

I can't compare it to Carnival because my first Carnival cruise is coming up in 6 weeks, but I have LOVED all 3 of my RCCL cruises. You'll have a great time. I always felt that there were more than enough activities. I never even had a chance to lay out by the pool because there was always something to do!

There are a couple of things in particular that I liked about RCCL that I've heard that Carnival doesn't offer: We got free champagne in the Promenade on formal nights! I thought it was a really nice touch. And on RCCL you can adjust the volume of the announcements in your cabin. You might even be able to turn it off, I don't exactly remember. And they don't make any early morning announcements (that I can recall).

If Empress is one of the ships with an ice skating rink, don't miss the ice show--it's unbelieveable!

Have a great RCCL cruise! I can't wait to give Carnival a try!

Hey there everyone, I'm generally a big Carnival fan having been on 4. I've also been on one Princess and I would have to say, I ended up being happier with Carnival. (Food, free Ice cream, atmosphere, etc...) Princess had a few things that were nicer, but quite honestly most things were even.

I'm going on the Empress OTS to Bermuda in September...any of you have anything MAJOR to expect? Likes/dislikes? I'd ask this on the RCL board but I don't want to hear all the mindless Carnival bashing.

Thanks!

I have never been on RCCL, but will one day. I am certain you will have a wonderful time....after all...it is a cruise!!! Don't spend your time doing comparisons....just go have a great vacation!!!

Empress is RCCL's smallest ship and one of its oldest so please don't compare it to CCL's newer and much larger ships. I haven't been on her yet but I too am thinking about sailing her on the 7-night Bermuda itinerary because it sounds great!

I like RCI. We have done a couple of Carnival lately and when we were on Marnier of the Seas last Spetember, I remembered why I like RCI so much. They are just class all the way.

However, I would go on one of the newer ships. My sister was just on Enchantment of the Seas and she wasn't impressed. I think all cruise lines save their best stuff for the 7 day, new ship cruises.

If you read one post of any line it may be terrible, then look at another post from someone the same week or before or after and it will be a great one. It really all depends on who you are and what people you get serving you. My wife until this year owned a travel agency and we had people that were extremists one way or the other kind of like politics.

We found that people would get partial to one line and look for the negative things of another line therefore ruining their vacation.

Too many people go with these certain expectations and don't go and enjoy themeselves. I have never sailed RCL but would. I have always sailed Carnival because they always beat RCCL by leaps and bounds with the price, even when my wife owned her agency. She booked a lot of RCCL cruises and for the most part had very happy customers. Many reapeats. You have to take what you hear with a grain of salt eg.

Carnival is a more party ship... well know plenty of people that have been on RCCL and everyone of them claim it is the same. That is just one example but there are many. Truth is every cruise line wants you to be happy. They want return customers.

I would love to try the Freedom of the Seas someday! I was looking at it for next spring but we decided on Vegas for my sisters 30th in March so I will have no extra $$$. But someday I will go on that ship! I can't wait to read the reviews from the people getting off the first sailing! :D

articular that I liked about RCCL that I've heard that Carnival doesn't offer: We got free champagne in the Promenade on formal nights! I thought it was a really nice touch. !

On the first formal night and the repeaters party (2nd formal), you can get champagne. As a matter of fact, you can get almost any drink that your little heart desires! Want a strawberry margarita? No problemo! Midori colada? You got it! Just go up to the bar and ask. Leave a buck tip for their effort.

Or , wait for the servers. Their trays usually have screwdrivers, champagne, and my favorite, whiskey sours (aka- Carnival rocket fuel).

Thanks!

unless you book a superior ocean view 157sq ft. you'll be in a broom closet on the Empress. 108 sq ft to 139 sq ft. CCL is 185.

Bill

I sailed Carnival Glory in Jan. 05 and RCL Legend OTS in Dec 05. Both were great cruises with great service, great food, and lots of fun activities. We got awsome rates for both cruises. My older sister was on both cruises and kept comparing them--Carnival coming out on top for her. Although I can't find any fault with the RCL cruise, for some reason I just prefered Carnival a bit more. There is more late-night fun going on on Carnival and I don't mean drinking/drunk people, just fun activities and late-night food available. We didn't find much going on on RCL after 10 p.m. so we just walked around to the different lounges listening to the music offerings. We have book with CArnival again for Dec 06 (Triumph) and can't wait to sail with Carnival again.

Kathy in Maine

I've done both.Carnival legend this year.Explorer 12 southern next year.They both have there specialty areas but are pretty similar in service and food.I will give the nightlife to carnival.Voyager of the seas last year was a snoozefest after 9 pm,but for the most part i just like to cruise period.

We're trying RCCL for the first time next year too. We've had a great time on our Carnival cruises but really need a change of scenery. Want that "new" feeling again.

I have to admit, though, that I am a little concerned about the night life on RCCL after what I've read on the boards. Comments keep coming up about a "subdued" late night atmosphere. I've always loved the late-night parties on Carnival (especially in the piano bar). I'm sure I'll have a great time no matter what, but I also hope that the late-night is part of it.

I have a feeling that we'll be back with Carnival at some point.

I was on an RCI cruise last week (my second time w/RCI). It was time for a little change. I thought the service was great, and I enjoyed the food and entertainment, but Carnival's food is better, and yes, the cabins are much larger on Carnival.

The only thing I really missed on RCI was having my complimentary espresso and cappuccino in the dining room w/every meal. Other than that, I didn't really make comparisons. I had a very nice, relaxing cruise - to the Bahamas this time - needed a change from MX.

Sometimes change is a good thing. I'm thinking of trying Princess again next year, but will probably do another Carnival in the interim.

BTW - I'm glad we don't bash other lines like some folks on other boards do Carnival.:rolleyes:

After having done 2 Carnival cruises, we sailed on RCI's Enchantment of the Seas (one of the first post-stretch cruises) last summer. Enjoyed it very much. It is really 2 different approaches to the same product. Enchantment was more subdued in architecture, service was comparable (our room steward, though, was the best we have had). Thought food on Carnival was better, definitely more late night food optioons on Carnival. Entertainment was comparable for both lines. I would do RCI again in a heartbeat. Just a matter of intinerary and cost.

You will love the Empress, I've been on it. We will be on our first NCL cruise in a couple of months. We love Carnival but we're going to try it. We've also tried RCCL. They all have their advantages and disadvantages, its a personal preference.

On the first formal night and the repeaters party (2nd formal), you can get champagne. As a matter of fact, you can get almost any drink that your little heart desires! Want a strawberry margarita? No problemo! Midori colada? You got it! Just go up to the bar and ask. Leave a buck tip for their effort.

Or , wait for the servers. Their trays usually have screwdrivers, champagne, and my favorite, whiskey sours (aka- Carnival rocket fuel).

REALLY?! If so, that's even better than RCCL's free champagne on formal nights! Do all the bars give out free drinks on the first formal night, or is it just one certain bar?

I thought there was plenty of night-life on my RCCL cruises. I never went to bed before midnight; there was always plenty to do. They had late-night parties out on the pool deck a couple times during the cruise. There was music and dancing, food (buffet and a guy making bananas foster--yum!), specialty drinks, etc. Do they have parties like that on Carnival?

I do remember being disappointed that the pools closed early (8 pm?). How late are the pools & hot tubs open on Carnival (Legend in particular)?

REALLY?! If so, that's even better than RCCL's free champagne on formal nights! Do all the bars give out free drinks on the first formal night, or is it just one certain bar?

No, only at the Captain's party in the main showlounge. It's about a hour, and it's prior to your formal dinner. Also hors d'oeuvres. If you don't care for the drinks the waiters are passing around, you can go to the bar in that room and get whatever you like, including champagne. The Captain meets folks at the door, and then goes on stage to introduce his officers and staff. Nice party.:)

They had late-night parties out on the pool deck a couple times during the cruise. There was music and dancing, food (buffet and a guy making bananas foster--yum!), specialty drinks, etc. Do they have parties like that on Carnival?

Yes. On our Miracle cruise a month ago, there was a 70's & 80's party one night with music and dancing out by the aft pool. Super fun!

One night there was a 50's & 60's party ~ didn't go to that one.

One night there was a bathrobes & beer party at the main pool area with dancing, conga lines, mexican buffet. Another really fun night. :)

Archived