Was Insignia Drydocked In April

luvs2cruzga

From Frank:

Everything like Nautica.

Every square inch of carpeting in the staterooms, hallways and all public rooms were changed.

OS and VS total remake

New Second generation Tranquility Mattress in Concierge and above (incredibly comfortable)

Install Cabanas, plus only on Insignia, the flooring on Deck 11 is now teak rather than astro-turf.

New furniture in upper hall, martini’s and library

Lots of new (antique) art

New ceiling fans on pool deck under cover

New Asian theme to Spa

New Versace dinner ware in Toscana and GDR

New Cristofle real silver in all restaurants

All new books in Library

Frank Delrio does all the shopping himself for the art and has impeccable taste so I am sure everything is magnificent..

Jan

We just returned from the April 21 Insignia cruise. The ship was in dry dock immediately prior to our cruise. There was new carpet & new furniture in the main areas of the ship- we did not notice anything else. But, the ship was maintained well and was very nice. The crew is constantly cleaning every part of the interior of the ship.

Please tell me they did not put cabanas topside blocking the outside view forward!!!!!! I wouldn't book Nautica again because of that. I love going topside forward to view the sights. We are on the Insignia June 26th. If I had known that I would not have booked them.

I'm sorry, but if they want to have cabanas, they should be in another location. We always go with the Penthouse staterooms, but I hope Del Rio isn't ruining this line. Renaissance went under for some reason. Nothing implied.

It will be back to Crystal for us, I guess if everything is going to be blocked to the passengers and you must pay to enjoy the scenery.

Dear Spendthrift:

Your message was poorly disguised.

If you don't like how I run the line, don't cruise with us.

I'll be more than happy to arrange for a full refund.

Enjoy Crystal.

FDR

Quite a turn of events for Spindrift. I just did a search of his previous posts, and they were all exceptionally complimentary regarding Oceania. I hope that our friend from Texas will put aside his negative comments about O's chairman and again enjoy the best overall cruise experience afloat.

Mike

I was out of place with my remarks regarding Del Rio and Rennaisance. I'm sure the loss of Rennaisance was a blow to him as well. I was really excited to learn that Joe Watters was w/Oceania, and that was the main reason I made my first reservation with them, which was the South American cruise.

We never chose to sail Rennaisance for any number of reasons--which is unimportant at this point.

We then followed with the Beijing to Hong Kong trip as we LOVED the line from the SA cruise. Also following the SA cruise, we booked the June 26th cruise, which we plan to stay with at this time.

Then, upon experiencing the cabana "sight," I was shocked to hear they had done that to the Insignia as well. There was not one person aboard the Nautica that spoke well of the cabanas and had the same feelings my husband and I had. Each said they would be including the comments at the end of their cruise. My feeling was that they would listen to their passengers.

Of course, I am only one opinion.

My apologies.

Your comment - There was not one person who spoke well of the cabanas on the Nautica - leads me to believe that none of them were occupied as I would bet no one who had one would complain. Is this an accurate assumption?

I had one on a recent cruise and absolutely loved it. Of course I have a slight disability and could never keep up with the port intensive schedule of Oceania. But my husband can. When he's off the ship, it is a wonderful place for me to be. I have already booked, over a year in advance, another cruise complete with cabana.

Life is choices and what works best for me is obviously not to your liking.

But someone on here always says....How lucky are we that we have choices such as these to make.

I meant to ask - and forgot? What would be your suggestion for another place to put them? After my cruise I wrote about the fact of "steps only" up to the cabanas and with my disability that was an issue....of course the staff was wonderful about offering to assist me if my husband was not present. And, there is no restroom facility up on the sundeck which means you must utilize the steps even more often. Just wondering what your thoughts were for someplace else....not that I think or expect that Oceania will be calling anytime soon to ask me to move them!

It is probably true that those who commented on the Cabanas did not use them. I do not know that for a fact. Yes, you are right, PA Nana, there is something for each of us, and this being America, we are all entitled to our opinion, which is a good thing.

I am pleased that they provided you with pleasure and will continue to do so. I have no suggestions on where they should be placed. It just appears to be to be another revenue source. I had just never heard of paying for a view, you might say. Oceania is a good line with more great features than poor ones--the cabanas only. This line should have much success. We take 4 or 5 cruises a year, and enjoy varied features of the different ships.

This is not an issue I wish to continue discussing since I obviously upset folks. That certainly is not my intent, and I shall be more cautious in the future relative to my remarks.

I have been away from home for over a week and just scanned through Cruise Critic posts, reading only the most recent on each thread. So, all I read was what you wrote most recently, that being what I quoted. I went back and read the thread in its entirety after your reponse to me. So, I'm sorry if I re-opened a sore subject. I really meant no harm and my questions were sincere. My husband and I had discussed a better location relative to my personal situation, disability and steps. I will tell you that we kept our "curtains" open so others could see through us - and anyone who asked, and several did, we invited them in and shared with them the costs, times they are staffed, etc. A couple of our acquaintances (folks we just met on the cruise) stopped up and tried out the bali beds for comfort. (That said, I will also tell you I did not appreciate the folks who "squatted" in the space I paid for and had to be asked to leave on several occasions, but it is my understanding that Oceania has addressed that issue and occupied signage will be clearly visible in the future.) I agree that it is a money making venture, but in my case it was a win-win. I guess I equate it to deciding whether or not to spring for the extra $$$ when deciding on an oceanfront room versus a gardenview - in the same hotel. I am looking at the crashing waves as I write. Or a penthouse with a verandah versus an inside cabin on Oceania. It all boils down to the individual's priorities. And the choices always seem to be about paying for a view. Let us all live yet another day to make these wonderful choices.

I also rented one for a 14 cruise through the Panama Canal.......I must say we enjoyed the entire experience.....have already rented one for the Transatlantic from Lisbon to Rio......I think they are WONDERFUL

I'll be more than happy to arrange for a full refund.

Enjoy Crystal.

Hello Readers,

For many months I have carefully read all the reviews that were posted on the internet. And I have read all the Cruise board posts that I could find to assist me in choosing the best possible cruise for my wife and I.

After looking long and hard at each of the lux lines/vessels I realized that I had a very difficult decision.

However this "was" a difficult decision until I came upon this stread.

Anytime a Chairman or Principle of a Company stands firmly behind his/her service, I take notice. Based only upon FDR's confidence and willinness to deliver a service, even after one has cruised, made my decision easy.

Today, I decieded our next voyage will be on Oceania's Ragatta on March 12, 2007.

Sincerly,

Hal and Cecelia Johns

:)

Just finished reading all these posts on a very minor part of Oceania's new upgrades. They are trying to give additional services to those that want them. We were on the Bangkock to Beijing cruise and had a most wonderful time. We found the Nautica every bit as good as our trips on Crystal and Silversea. The food was great and the crew could not do enough for us.There was not one person who did not listen to anything we had to say about what needed to be dont to make things even better, including the GM. They are all trying to improve a great product. It was our 2nd cruise on Oceania and we will do many more in the future.

HAL2, you won't be sorry. We did the Med on the Insignia and it was hands down the best cruise we have ever done. I was amazed to hear that the Insignia was dry-docked, I couldn't find a thing that needed replacing! :)

Enjoy your "not luxury, but Upper Premium class" cruise on Oceania! I bet it won't be your last!

Cathy,

My wife and I will cruise to the eastern Caribbean Islands on M/S Rgatta not M/S Insignia. We leave out of Miami on March 11, 2007.

I came upon this post during my extensive research to find our next cruise.

I read all the most recent reviews and posts before I make any committment. See my wife, in her early 50's and has both Addison's Diease and Myasthenisa Gravis. So at some point in time, she will not be able to travel. I plan as if our next cruise/vacation will be our last. And I am sure, after reading FDR's confidence and the reviews, I have chosen our next cruise "perfectly".

Regards,

Hal

I'm so sorry to hear of her condition, HAL but very glad that you are travelling while you can both still enjoy the experience.

I was talking in general terms of the cruise line and our experience on it, sorry for the confusion. I know you will have a wonderful time and an outstanding cruise!

Enjoy!

Archived