Have a few questions about Alaska please

Lois R

:) Hi, going to Alaska for the first time. Reading tons about

it and of course these boards are awesome (as usual).

Everyone keeps telling me to remember I probably won't get as much

sleep due to the amount of daylight. When does the sun actully

set? And I was told to bring binocolurs...which I have! And I know,

"layer, layer, layer":)

And I just got my cabin assignment....I had booked an inside gty

at the lowest cat...(12).....but got an upgrade to a category

9, still inside but only 2 decks from the Lido;)

Anyway, it is cabin 9233 which is aft...anyone stay there? I looked

at the deck plans and it is down the hall from the FUN FACTORY.

Is that open late? You think I will have a noise problem? I don't know

the "usual demographic" of a 7 night Alaskan cruise...and this

is still during the normal school year...so I am guessing most

kids are there....(in school).

Thanks for any help:) I should have said questions about Alaska AND CABIN:)

Hi Lois,

The free portion of the kids program lasts until 10 pm every evening in the Fun Factory. There is a slumber party (generally it carries an hourly fee) that starts at 10 pm and lasts until 1 am or when the last kid leaves which ever occurs first. Sailing on May 19th is a good bet that you will find few children on board because schools will be in session.

To give you an idea on sunrise/sunset times: on May 21 in Juneau (the day Mercury is scheduled to be there), the sun rises at 3:19 am and sets at 8:31 pm (local time, of course).

Hi Mahdnc,...thanks for that update! :)

I will be at dinner at 10;) and usually don't get back to my cabin

till near 1....so noise should not be a problem!

That is ALOT of daylight hours!!!!

Hi Lois,

That's wonderful you are going to Alaska. The only time the daylight bothered me was when we were on the land portion of our cruise tour. Since we too had an Inside Cabin cat 9 on Summit the extra daylight didn't bother us.

Let me tell you when it's bright as day out at 12:00 Midnight it's really, really strange!!!!

Hi Lois,

I feel like I know you, but have never met. Just read all (er, some) of your posts and know you love cruising.

Please see my review from 7/05 (under member reviews) for Summit for shore excursion stuff.

We had an inside cabin and sleep was therefore no problem with so much daylight.

It's a spectacular setting with all those snow covered mountains and the glaciers!

Have a great trip!

Hi Lois,

I'm so happy for you........I have writen many times before, I think a cruise is a vacation and a cruise in Alaska an adventure. You are going to have a wonderful adventure.

I don't know where in Florida you are so I just took a look at centeral state. Today the sun rise/set in Florida is 6:43AM-8:02PM. Compare that to Skagway which is 4:56AM-9:02PM. Of course when you go there will be even more daylight.

We sailed to Alaska May 05 from SF on Infinity. We had a balcony cabin and the daylight hours weren't a problem. Actually, it was nice to see the water from the dining room.

You know, if light bothers your sleep, take a nice Bucky Sleep Mask. However, after a full day of Alaska, you'll sleep just fine.

Dear Lois,

We sailed on Summit southbound in Alaska last year, departing on May 27. There were very, very few children and teens aboard ship. My kids' last day of school was May 20th, so we took advantage of the reduced rates for Alaskan cruises in May. The counselors for the Ensign program (9-12) would come looking for my daughter, then age 10, so that they would have some girls in their program. The counselors were absolutely top-notch, my DD really enjoyed getting to know them and learning about all of their home countries.

We sailed to Alaska May 05 from SF on Infinity. We had a balcony cabin and the daylight hours weren't a problem. Actually, it was nice to see the water from the dining room.

You know, if light bothers your sleep, take a nice Bucky Sleep Mask. However, after a full day of Alaska, you'll sleep just fine.

No worries about the light for me as I have an inside cabin;)

Hi Lois. We don't know each other, but I've read so many of your posts that I feel as if I do. We are also going on our first Alaska cruise on July 16 on the Infinity & we're very excited about this new itinerary. We have an inside room too so the light won't be an issue. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for all the replies:) it is appreciated.

Phyllis, I read your review and it was excellent. I am doing

"The Duck Tour" too:D

I did it once when I was in St Martin and it was really fun

so I know I will enjoy this one as well! And it was one of the more

reasonably priced excursions as well.

Hi Many Cruises, thanks and I hope we both have wonderful

cruises.

Hi Chuck:) I feel like I am going on an adventure!!! Seeing

ALL NEW PLACES...I have never been to Seattle either!

Hi Lois--Like alot of other CC people on these boards, I have read alot of your very balanced and very positive responses. If you put 'sunrise/sunset' into your browser you will obtain specific information about sunrise and sunset times in all of the USA. We have been fortunate to cruise from San Francisco to Alaska on two different occasions. Alaska is awesome and very particularly beautiful. If your cruise incluces Hubbard Glacier and/or Sawyer Glacier and/or Icy Point Straight (which we have not seen), then you have a special treat in store for you. Not to mention the Inside Passage portion called Grenville Channel. WOW! In Skagway, if you like railroads with a phomenal view, be sure to try the railroad from the the dock. I am sure that you will have a great time! Bear in mind that Alaska does not mean COLD in the summer months! We were there when the temps were in the 70's. Look at http://www.weather.com for the latest info before you leave. There is no question that you will have a grea time. Alaska is a 'special' cruise--we saw dolphins, 'killer' whales' and spectacular scenery.

Lois, you will have a wonderful time. On my first trip to Alaska (Fairbanks) the weather was in the high nineties (and I was dressed for the cold--LOL). May should be an absolutely wonderful time to make that trip. When you report back about your trip, I would love to hear about the wildlife and weather there at that time of the year. I do have two recommendations for shopping. The first, the Passport booklet isn't really worth it (and I've done it twice). Second, I bought several of the Russian nesting dolls and even a wonderful book (forgot the name of it--it's at school). They make absolutely, wonderful gifts and if you have kiddos around, the kids love to stack them, re stack them, etc. In fact, when I make my trip in September my colleagues have asked for nesting dolls, books, and native Alaskan memorabilia for their classrooms. Have a wonderful trip Lois.

Robin:cool:

Archived