Resident Rate Discount

Crusier722

Does anyone have experience in utilizing a residential discount. What type of proof do you need to present at the pier in order to prove you are resident.

I understand a driver license or non-driver ID would have your address, but say you are a "snowbird" you live 6 months in one state and 6 in another. How do you prove you live in one state without a picture id? Are utility bills sufficient enough proof with your passport? The passport doesn't have your residence listed.

Any information would be appreciated.

I do live in the state, but I do not have a driver's licenses. I own a home - pay property taxes, have utility bills. What about for people that don't drive or have a state id?

I wonder if Hillary Clinton had to show her NY driver's license to become a senator.. LOL

I do live in the state, but I do not have a driver's licenses. I own a home - pay property taxes, have utility bills. What about for people that don't drive or have a state id?

I wonder if Hillary Clinton had to show her NY driver's license to become a senator.. LOL

Hi Cruiser !

If you can prove you live in Florida, why not get a Photo ID from the Motor Vehicle Bureau. It is not a drivers license, but it is a Florida photo ID.

I am not sure if Celebrity would accept that, but you can call and ask. If they are willing to accept that, it may be your best bet.

You can only be a citizen of one state. If you prefer the opportunities provided by the other state that you live in, then move your citizenship.

Have to agree with darrencantwait on this one. If you want the benefits from Florida, you'll probably have to change your residency. But that affects voting and many other items, so be sure before you do it.

As an after thought, can you get a Sherrif's ID?

Duane

I also have to agree with darrencantwait as to state citizenship -- you can only be a citizen of one state.

That said, I unexpectedly received a fare reduction due to resident rate after I'd already booked a cruise (it happened to be Royal Caribbean, not Celebrity). I do not recall providing the cruise line with any id upon check-in other than my passport and, as I did not request the rate, I suspect it is based upon my billing address.

They are fairly strict with resident rates. I would call the cruiseline and ask them exactly what they will require so you are not surprsed at the pier. If you are willing to just take a chance, then you also have to be willing to pay the difference in cruise price at the pier.

I was just looking for people's experiences as to what happens at the pier. I wasn't asking about citizenship - I was asking about residency. Residency is where you live - if you own two homes you live in two places.

Unfortunately the cruiseline does not document what is required for these fares. I've had the experience in the past where you "speak" with someone and they tell you one thing and then when you get there it is another thing.

Your passport does not indicate your residency. They are usually valid for 10 years and you do not have to send in a change of address if you move.

I am not looking to beat the system - just looking for factual information. If the cruiseline is going to offer these incentives they should have it documented in the Ticket Contract as to what is expected and not operate on verbal instructions.

I would be upset if I was told one thing and then get to the pier and it is supposed to be another way then they try to hit you with an increased fare because of a misunderstanding.

Having recently booked a 'residents special' aboard the Galaxy I was told I needed a photo ID at the pier. I would check with the company for the final say. Good Luck & have a great cruise:)

From the legal perspective, you may have more than one residence but only one domicile. Your domicile is the address at which you're registered to vote. It is also the address which must appear on your driver's license and passport. Thus, a valid license or passport (both are picture IDs) is proof re a resident discount.

what state issued ID will you be using to get onboard?? people who dont drive will need a state issued id..

Sounds like you may be out of luck. Its the state issue ID or the passport that would be used as a residency requirement. Would it pay to get a new passport?

Having recently booked a 'residents special' aboard the Galaxy I was told I needed a photo ID at the pier. I would check with the company for the final say. Good Luck & have a great cruise:)

How do you get info on residential discounts?

For Tracy123:

You can simply ask your Travel Agent if there is a discount for the state that you live in. I've also seen a residential rate list on Exepdia.com - I use that website for information, but usually book through a travel agent for a better rate.

Property tax bill has worked.

There is no true legal definition of residence. Depends who you ask. Ask the Commerce Department, it is where you reside on Apri 1st. Ask the Board of Elections it's another story. Ask DMV, it's another. Ask the military it's another.

I have clients who own homes in not only multiple states, but multiple countries! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I had a chance to call Celebrity and ask them what is acceptable proof for the residential discount. The agent at first said driver's license. I explained that I don't have a driver's license and was planning on using my passport as my photo id. I asked if I could show utility bills and my tax bill as proof. The agent said it would be acceptable as long as it is "consistent". I asked what he meant by "consistent" - did he mean they should all have the same address on the documents. He said yes and that I might need more than one.

So there is the "official answer", but I wish they had something in writing to have as backup. I would also appreciate anyone else that took advantage of a residential discount to share their experience - Where you asked for proof and if so what did you provide?

Thanks again.. and I hope this information helps others.

Can someone please explain the purpose of a resident discount that is only available to residents of certain selected states? I don't understand why residents of one state should receive a better price for a cruise than residents of another state.

As long as you are willing to pay the price they ask, what difference does it make to Celebrity where your official residence of record is located? All states in the USA use the same currency. It is not as though someone from another state would be trying to pay for the cruise with Confederate dollars.:confused:

Archived