NCL Jewel 7/9/06 - Party People

neilrr

Dear Friends:

We did not see any postings (in the gay section) for the W. Med trip for 7/9/06 on the Norwegian Jewel so we decided to see if any Gay or Bi travelers were going. We are also spending 3 days in Barcelona upon return from the cruise.

This is our first cruise on NCL. We usually travel on Celebrity but it was such a great deal (w/air & transfers) we decided to give them a try. We are in our mid 40's and early 50's and are looking forward to a great vacation.

We were on a recent Celebrity cruise and hooked up with two other gay couples and two gay singles and we had a wonderful time. We also met many straight couples and had a lot of fun with them too. We are straight appearing/acting.

On the Norwegian Jewel - Roll Call you will see our cruise with 4 other people that are going and we hope to meet at sailaway. We do hope more join -- as we had 44 people involved in our last Celebrity cruise!!

Sailaway was a real hoot....

We hope to hear from others on this itinerary and look forward to meeting you.

Neil & Jerry:)

My mistake. I thought it was some sort of self-loathing "I'm gay but you can't tell I'm a sissy" routine. As a friend of mine say, most people who consider themselves straight-acting have bigger issues than working out the wording of their personals ad.

Dear Schplinky (nice code name) and Sjbdtz:

Maybe one day you will be able to afford the diamonds for the tiara... But if you are not going on this cruise -- then stay out of this thread....

We are two discreet individuals who do not have to make a statement to the world about their sexuality. We are very comfortable with who we are and are able to mix in all social situations. Believe me, there are no "bigger issues." Sometimes, others that are not flaming queens look at a website -- out of curiosity and they do not need to have anything thrown in their faces or be discouraged, especially if they are traveling with a spouse of the opposite sex or other family members.

Remember -- it is better to use good judgement and not run off at the mouth -- and maybe one day even you might meet the men of your dreams.

N

Dear Schplinky (nice code name) and Sjbdtz:

Maybe one day you will be able to afford the diamonds for the tiara... But if you are not going on this cruise -- then stay out of this thread....

N

Never trust a screaming queen to stay out of a thread.

We are two discreet individuals who do not have to make a statement to the world about their sexuality. We are very comfortable with who we are and are able to mix in all social situations. Believe me, there are no "bigger issues." Sometimes, others that are not flaming queens look at a website -- out of curiosity and they do not need to have anything thrown in their faces or be discouraged, especially if they are traveling with a spouse of the opposite sex or other family members.

I would guess that if your target audience is closeted spouses, discretion must be a great asset.

Remember -- it is better to use good judgement and not run off at the mouth -- and maybe one day even you might meet the men of your dreams.

N

I've met the man of my dreams but thanks for that tip. Having met him, we're not so much looking for a man of the moment together. That you are is fine but you know, yours was the second time today I heard a gay man refer to himself as "straight acting" and let me assure you than in the other case, he's the only one who believes the performance. Here's hoping that one day you can stop acting straight and just be gay. Walk right up to those women and tell them you're stealing their husbands (or giving them herpes). Serves them right.

I've met the man of my dreams but thanks for that tip. Having met him, we're not so much looking for a man of the moment together. That you are is fine but you know, yours was the second time today I heard a gay man refer to himself as "straight acting" and let me assure you than in the other case, he's the only one who believes the performance. Here's hoping that one day you can stop acting straight and just be gay.

I've married the man of my dreams, and after 13 years together, we're completely comfortable in all social situations as well.

What I contributed to the thread was a commentary on how asinine the phrase "straight-acting" is. The ONLY thing that is different between me, and a straight guy is who we sleep with. Therefore if I were straight-acting, it would by definition suggest that I sleep with women...

:rolleyes:

Scplinky:

Obviously, you are a screaming queen with too much time on your hands...

Maybe people refer to themselves as "straight acting" due to people like you who give gay people a bad reputation. It is okay to let your hair down in certain situations -- but a screamer all of the time is not how most gays want to be represented. Obviously, if you heard "straight acting" twice in one day

maybe it is something to think about..... Food for thought...

The gays that are out there have done many beneficial things and they are greatly appreciated.

I also have been in a long-term relationship of 22 years and we are certainly not looking for anyone's husband. I certainly would not want you or anyone else to give them herpes. I hope you heal up....

Anyway, back to the business of vacation..

Trying to reconcile this with your previous posts. Getting headache. Giving up.

I think the sort of people who give gays a bad name are self-loathing closet types who want people to like them so much that they pretend they are something they are not: straight. I am not a screaming queen (despite my earlier comment) but I also would not deny who I am in any social situation because that would be done for others' benefit, not mine and it would demean me to put their feelings (or my fears about their feelings) ahead of my own. My general feeling is that anything you are hiding, you are ashamed of.

I really do wish you well and it is entirely possible I mis-read your first post when you said you "hooked up" and were looking to do it again. Slang and jargon can be regional.

We are straight appearing/acting

I just get such a kick out of the straight-acting expression....like it's a badge of honor.

What's even funnier, in my eyes is the idea of being "straight appearing". Does this mean one of you looks like a woman? ;)

:) I agree it has gone to far. I also agree about things being regional -- when I said "hooked up" - I meant we all got together and went for a fabulous dinner (8 of us) in one of the specialty restaurants on the Millenneum-- we started at 9:00 PM and finished at 1:00 AM - we also met at the FOD get together at the Martini Bar and had a wonderful time as well as the pools, etc...

I also agree that if anyone does approach me or my partner we are very open. Unfortunately, our society does not let everyone live and have this opportunity -- My parter was originally from a very small town in Texas (Bible Belt) and we know quite a few gay people there (due to circumstance) and they must live a more discreet and conservative life, but I do not belittle or demean them. That is their life -- I'm from the Big Apple originally, and have been around the block many a time... I always look like Babs in Funny Girl coming off the plane in Texas in my 3/4 length mink/leather (butch action) coat -- as we live in S. Florida and it usually freezing at Christmas. Believe me - they know I'm gay....

On a funny note -- one of our friends was telling us they were on a cruise and everyone was so excited about "dress up night" and I replied "yes, we like to get dressed in Tuxes, etc.." and he said oh no -- mosty everyone got dressed up in drag on our cruise -- talk about regional differences...

I wish you both well and hope that I can see if the original note I placed makes any inroads with others going on the W. Med. trip...

N.

Archived