Honest Opinion on Holiday Inn, Miami

logbook

I haven't stayed at the Holiday Inn but have stayed at the Hyatt. We got it on Priceline for under $35 three years ago. While the hotel was nice and the rooms huge, it was quite a walk from the hotel to Bayside. I assuredly wouldn't stay in a dump and believe that the HI is far from that. To us, the location near Bayside is it's selling point. When we walked by the hotel, we wished we had have stayed there and it was a BW at the time. I believe HI has done some renovations.

I haven't stayed at the Holiday Inn but have stayed at the Hyatt. We got it on Priceline for under $35 three years ago. While the hotel was nice and the rooms huge, it was quite a walk from the hotel to Bayside. I assuredly wouldn't stay in a dump and believe that the HI is far from that. To us, the location near Bayside is it's selling point. When we walked by the hotel, we wished we had have stayed there and it was a BW at the time. I believe HI has done some renovations.

I stayed at both the Hyatt (on points) and HI. The Hyatt is a few blocks away, not far at all, but I wouldn't want to walk it with my family at night. We had a hard time getting a taxi for 5-6 blocks to the Hyatt.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn pre and post cruise in Oct/Nov and would definitely go back. The rooms were clean, the staff was friendly, the price was excellent and the location couldn't have been better. It wasn't a fancy hotel but it was perfect for what we wanted.

The hotel also has a nice restaurant. We had a fabulous brunch before boarding the ship (although looking back we should have skipped this and ate once we got on the ship to save some $$).

Thanks Autumn3 - I didn't even think about what kind of restaurants they have. I am too anxious to get over to Bayside and check it all out!! I think we will have enough to eat once we get on board! :)

Speaking of taxi prices, what did it run to get from Miami airport and then from the hotel to the Port? I understand the hotel is very close to the port and won't be an issue. Thanks

Speaking of taxi prices, what did it run to get from Miami airport and then from the hotel to the Port? I understand the hotel is very close to the port and won't be an issue. Thanks

Cost us $24 plus tip from Airport to hotel.. and I think $13 plus tip to the port.. it depends on traffic.. on the return trip from port back to hotel it only cost us $8 plus tip.

This Is A Question For The People That Have Stayed There In The Past.....at Bayside..is There Any Place To Buy Liquior? I Am Staying The Night Before The Cruise And Would Love Not To Have To Carry It In My Luggage On The Flight To Miami

Your right downtown. Go to Flagler Street. They have all kinds of stores there. Just a few blocks away.

We just stayed at the HI in March. The rooms were big and clean. Ditto the elevator complaints. Not a big deal. The location was great given Bayside Market. We'd definitly stay there again. The cab from airport was 22 plus tip and then to port was ~10. There were plenty of cabs waiting outside the airport and hotel. You won't have any problems with that.

The ONLY reason I would stay there again is if I had Priority Club Points to redeem for free nights.

The location is the only thing it has going for it. The staff was rude and the rooms were mediocre (sp?)

I have to agree. I have not stayed here since it changed hands but I found the staff to be less than friendly and the rooms were ok but nothing special. Also agree that the location is the best thing going for this hotel. I also had problems the last time staying there with street noise. I much prefer the Marriott Biscayne Bay.

One of the biggest advantages of HolidayInn Port of Miami besides its great location is the fact that you can put 5 people in one room. Most hotels do not accommodate 5. We've stayed there many times, and will be there again in 3 weeks, and I have absolutely no complaints. It's not a luxury hotel, but I like the spaciousness of the rooms and as others have said, the location is terrific.

Pros to hotel:

Location is close to pier: You can see ships if you are on the correct side.

Bayside: Which is across the street, is fun to do the night before if you like shopping.

Cons to hotel:

Elevators: After waiting 30 minutes for any elevator, we walked down the stairs with all our luggage from the 6th floor.

Noise: The bands played until early morning. Traffic noise was really bad. That area of Miami has lots of night clubs, and people coming in and out of rooms until 4 a.m. There was so much partying in the rooms.

Dirty: The bathroom was dirty and we found food under our beds.

Staff: Not enough staff to help so many people.

For one night, it wasn't going to ruin my vacation, but I would look for something else next time.

Our cabbie decided to take the long route, so the fare was $28. The difference came out of what would have been the tip. Our experience seems to have been different than many on this thread. The hotel lacks a motor lobby and so the mere act of getting out of the cab on the sidewalk outside of the hotel was dicey. People started climbing in the cab before my family was even out. No doorman or anyone to help with luggage. Then get sent to a smoking room when I'd reserved N/S and then called to reconfirm shortly before the trip that DW has breathing issues and N/S was essential. The room we got moved to was cramped, in that the foot of the bed pretty much touched the back of the chair at the desk. The sitting "area" next to the windows did not have knee room between the bed and wall. Had to shift around to get into the bathroom and then close the door. Absolute zoo the next morning in the lobby. The expensive buffet breakfast did not look edible to DS and DW who inspected, so we ordered off the menu and it was...edible. No convenient other choices--Bayside eateries do not open until 10 a.m. to us 7 or 7:30 is sleeping in. In contrast to someone else's replay about a line of taxis outside, we had difficulty getting to the sidewalk to hail a passing cab because of the mobs of groups who were loitering and assembling outside for their pre-arranged bus and van rides. Had to bring the luggage through the masses to the next block so that we could be seen by cabbies and get a ride to the port. Cost about $13 to get to the mob scene, no one from the port or a cruise line lending any organization, that was our terminal, and the cab could not get to the curb to drop us off because of the mobs of debarking passengers still there at 11:30. We won't cruise out of Miami again, but on the off chance that I got talked into doing so, I would spend more and get a better experience from a hotel, or just stay in a different area, but not back at that Holiday Inn. And this from a guy whose favorite place to stay the night before a cruise out of Port Canaveral is a Hampton Inn, so I'm not some 5 Star snob with unreasonable expectations.

We stayed at Holiday Inn Port of Miami in Feb '06 for the second time, and are booked again in November '06 for our Explorer cruise. We have always been happy with this hotel or we would not go back. As for the breakfast, it was very good. Eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, bagels, cereal, fruit etc. They have a cruise package which includes breakfast and either a harbor cruise or 2 free drinks at one of the Bayside kiosks. As for getting a taxi to the port, it is no problem. Yes, maybe you will have to wait a little to let the passengers who are debarking the ship get out of the taxis for their post-night hotel stay, but it says boarding time is 2pm, so where's the fire?? Relax, take a dip in the pool, go over to Bayside at 10am and walk around for a couple of hours. Use your vacation time to enjoy the sights versus moan & groan like some people who think they are still on a work schedule.

Have a great time!!

Lori

We stayed there November '05, I love the location, but I found the hotel staff to be rude, they wouldn't even listen to our requests for a room with bayside view (we had pre-booked this for pre and post cruise stays). There was something brown on the walls in the bathroom and our friend walked around in her white socks in her room and they turned greyish-black. We won't stay there again.

• 11 months later...

Archived