Money in Europe

We are going on a 12 day Mediterranean cruise this summer, sine neither my husband or I have EVER been out of the country we were hoping for some direction on the best way to bring our money.

Cash? Traveller's Checks? Credit Cards? ATM Card?

We will be visiting Spain, France, Italy, Greece and Croatia if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jackie :)

Take a little cash to get you started...EUROS all but Croatia

http://www.ecb.int/bc/intro/html/map.en.html

ATM's ..you need a 4 digit PIN and check your daily withdrawel limit at your bank

Credit cards ...be sure to notify your card company you will be travelling in Europe or they could freeze your card on you.

I print off a cheat sheet just before we go on the currency exchange just so you know what you are paying

http://www.oanda.com/converter/classic

Jackie,

Spain, France and Italy all use Euro's. (not sure about Greece or Croatia).

Are you going to be taking ship sponsered excursions? If so, they'll be billed on your Sign and Sail account and you pay that with your CC at the end of your cruise.

If you're taking any private tours, you'll probably have to pay in local currency. So you would need perhaps 500-600 Euro's for that depending on how many ports you'll take private tours.

So that makes a big difference in how much to bring.

You'll need local currency for tipping tour guides and small items. Street vendors and flea markets want cash while big stores take credit cards.

Others here will jump in, but on a trip like yours we would probably go with about 500 Euro's and then find ATM's along the way to get more.

You can ask your cruise company about using TC's, often there's a surcharge. I have about $200. in TC's that have been in my wallet for 10 years. One of these days I'll cash them in! :)

Before your trip, make sure you have a univeral ATM card, like NYCE or Cirrus and that you have a 4 difit PIN. Also, call your credit card companies before you leave and tell them what countries you'll be in so they won't refuse any purchases you make thinking they may be fraudulent. ( I usually make these calls while waiting to board the plane to pass time. The 800 numbers are on the back of the card)

If you can obtain travelers cheques for no charge, you can use them to obtain cash aboard ship. However, travelers cheques won't be very helpful ashore. Most shops won't take them and you will have to stop at a bank or currency exhange shop to obtain euros at an inflated exchange rate.

The simplest and most effective way to obtain euros is with your ATM card. As the previous poster said, be sure to notify your bank security department before you leave. ATM's are everywhere in Europe including the baggage claim areas of the airports.

Credit cards are also an effective way to pay for purchases. They are accepted just about everywhere except very small restaurants and sidewalk markets. Again, be sure to notify your card issuer before you leave.

You will find that by far the best conversion rate for dollars to Euros will be at ATMs in Europe, not here in the US. We aren't really nervous nellie types, but we do get at least 100 Euros here (AAA sells them in different packages, and you can get them from banks but allow enough time for your bank to get them for you) and pay the premium, just so we have enough to get something in the airport when we arrive or our first taxi ride or whatever.

Croatia is the only country you mention that doesn't use the Euro. But there are ATM machines all over the place - actually much more common there than in the US I think. Do NOT use your credit card in an ATM machine to get money - use a debit card only. Using a credit card to get Euros results in very high costs - you're essentially getting a cash advance and paying the issuing bank the regular loan interest rates plus a conversion fee.

KnoxvilleSam

Hi All,

Go to your bank and find outif they have a charge for use overseas. Also find out if they have a charge for usage of ATM. Our bank does not have a charge for either. Thus we accessed cash at ATM s whenever we wanted. It can make a huge difference.

ATMs are all over Europe.

What your bank does matters.

Have a great Cruise!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Shannon

Hi All,

What we have discovered after traveling around the world for the past few years is that banking relationships really do matter. Some banks don't charge anything for foreign withdrawals, while others do. Some banks don't charge an access fee for ulilization of an ATM while others do. It can be VERY TRICKY. (Send a student abroad and you learn fast!!!!!!) You have to talk to YOUR BANK and find out what they will or will not do.

Have a great cruise,

Regards,

Shannon

Archived