Not completing a multi-stop flight?

staufj22

So I have a question.. I can't seem to find this covered previously..

Say I want to fly from A to B, but its actually cheaper for me to book a flight from A to C, with a stop in B. Is there a problem buying that, and just not get on the plane from B to C?

-Jimmy

Don't quote me here, but I believe if you are flying from A to B and buy a ticket to fly from A to C with a stop over at B and you get off, it would be fine. BUT only if it is a one-way flight you are interested in. If it is a RT ticket and you don't show up for the portion of your flight from B to C, they cancel the return portion of your tickets as you were a no show so to speak.

Pooh

Don't quote me here, but I believe if you are flying from A to B and buy a ticket to fly from A to C with a stop over at B and you get off, it would be fine. BUT only if it is a one-way flight you are interested in. If it is a RT ticket and you don't show up for the portion of your flight from B to C, they cancel the return portion of your tickets as you were a no show so to speak.

Pooh

Thanks, thats what I was hoping..

I'm only looking for a one-way ticket after my one-way cruise.. =) Its kind of funny how the longer flight is actually cheaper.

Say I want to fly from A to B, but its actually cheaper for me to book a flight from A to C, with a stop in B. Is there a problem buying that, and just not get on the plane from B to C?

It ticks off the airline, but theres really not much they can do about it.

Do consider that you will be limiting yourself to "carry on" baggage only, since any "checked" bags will be delivered to final destination "C". This may or may not pose a problem for you.

Actually the air lines could, in this instance , go back and adjust your fare based on the shorter route. I recently booked a roundtrip fare which was cheaper than a one way ticket, then only used the outgoing leg. I read later that the airline had the right to adjust my fare and bill my credit card for the difference. They never did so however.

Actually the air lines could, in this instance , go back and adjust your fare based on the shorter route. I recently booked a roundtrip fare which was cheaper than a one way ticket, then only used the outgoing leg. I read later that the airline had the right to adjust my fare and bill my credit card for the difference. They never did so however.

It is within the airlines rights. But 99.9% of the time, unless you do this often OR use your airline FF# to book your reservation, nothing will happen. AA now has new software to find unused returns more easily. But if it's a once in a long while occurance, I wouldn't worry about it. Lots of people change plans, legitimately. If you have an inexpensive, non-refundable ticket, the change fee is often as much as the balance on your ticket. The airlines' understand this. Just don't make it a habit.

Is there a problem buying that, and just not get on the plane from B to C?
In addition to the problems for you that have already been pointed out, don't forget that you are also likely to cause problems for the other passengers on the B to C flight when you fail to show up for it. If the airline holds that flight even for just a few minutes, and then something happens like missing a slot or being in a much longer queue for takeoff, the passengers on that flight might end up being very delayed arriving at C. Some of them may miss connections or other transport. You may not care about the inconvenience that you cause them, but you should be aware that your decision may have this effect.

In addition to the problems for you that have already been pointed out, don't forget that you are also likely to cause problems for the other passengers on the B to C flight when you fail to show up for it. If the airline holds that flight even for just a few minutes, and then something happens like missing a slot or being in a much longer queue for takeoff, the passengers on that flight might end up being very delayed arriving at C. Some of them may miss connections or other transport. You may not care about the inconvenience that you cause them, but you should be aware that your decision may have this effect.

A really good synopsis - but as a frequent flyer - I have never seen a plane held up for one passenger. I have been held up for 10 passengers from another lat connecting flight though!

Archived