Labadee Jet Ski Excursion

Has anyone done this through RCCL? My husband and two sons (17 and 10) want to do this. They are not serious jet skiers; just want to have some fun instead of sitting on the beach. Any comments. I personally will be parasailing in Labadee!!!!

This is one of the best tours I have ever done. My wife would not agree as the seas were choppy and she was hanging on tight while yelling every curse word in the book. After 17 cruises, I would definitely rank this as one of my favorites. I had only been on a waverunner one other time, so experience is not a must. They line people up by comfort level. Those who want to go full throttle are put in the front. Those who want to move a little slower, are slotted toward the back. Adjustments to order are made during the tour so if you are moving slower or faster than anticipated, you can adjust your position.

You husband and son should have a fantastic time. The scenery is great and the waverunners are FUN!!!

We were there a few years ago and booked the Jet Ski's. They hold two people but ( at least at that time ) they required the driver to be over 18 and would not allow a minor to ride with anyone other than a parent. That meant that my youngest son was left out. We argued the fact because their own paperwork did not spell that condition out but they would not relent. That issue was the only time I ever lodged a complaint to RCCL about anything. It was very disappointing to the kid. I would check out this detail before booking it. It is possible the rules have changed or are relaxed but still worth checking on.

By the way....... in Cozumel, there were no such rules. The kid got to go on a Jet Ski.:D

Yes, I have done this. At first we thought it would be a little lame since you travel in a group. It turned out to be a really fun excursion. The only problem was we purchased the excursion last minute via the in-room TV channel at 2:00 am the day of Labadee. We say one of the jet ski excursion times listed on the TV for the afternoon trip with an extra 20 minutes for the same price. We decided on jet skis and purchased that timeslot. It turned out to be a error in their system and was the same length of time as all the others available for the day. If we would have known that, we would have chosen another time earlier in the day.

Funny I should see this thread, as I just finished typing out the story of the waverunner experience. So I'll just cut and paste what I wrote over on our roll call thread:

chaffin514 and puggdogg1 asked about the waverunner trip. No special skills needed. Last year was my first time to ride one, and I was kinda hopin' it was foolproof. They almost design it too well for dummies, because there were a couple of more experienced people in the group who acted a tad bored by "instructions". All you do is watch a short safety video, and then the guide goes over the controls on a static 'runner. Then you grab a lifejacket, grab a machine, and you're off. Basically, you just wear a bracelet that's attached to the engine kill switch (in case you fall off), push the button to start it, and give 'er gas to go! A little gas, you'll sputter along. A lot of gas and watch out! vrrrroooommmmm! Just you and an open machine flyin' through the water, airborne over the waves! Whoooo--hooo!!! The group is overseen by guides who lead the way and bring up the rear, and they count off the order in which riders take off so a safe distance is kept between everybody. The lead guide stops at the "tour stop" and everyone just pulls up around him to bob and hear the speil. In Labadee, we went out "around the bend" far enough whereas you couldn't see the ship anymore. If I remember correctly, it was three tour stops out, and then the long ride back to the final tour stop - the ship! (Boy she's huge when you sit next to her bobbing on a personal watercraft!) Then you just sputter back to the dock. The description says 50 minutes, but I really didn't time it. It was so exhilarating, I was just off in la-la land for the experience. No matter how long we were actually riding, it always goes too quickly before they kick you off. And wouldn't you know it, they wouldn't let me bring the 'runner home as a souvenir!!! Something about it not fitting in the suitcase... Can you believe the nerve!

Anyway, I imagine it will be near the same at CocoCay. Now that telling the story again has relived the trip in my head, I can't wait to do it again! We'll be in CocoCay just one week from Monday!!!!

It was a highlight of our cruise. Would we do it again, in a heart beat. I remember seeing kids on the waverunners, I don't think they drove but they were a passenger and he was way under 18. Great time. My dw & I can't wait to do it again. Unfortunately, our cruise in December does not stop at either Labadee or CoCoCay.

Book early as the slots fill up quickly. You can always cancel once on board the ship.

We also did the waverunner in Labadee and had a blast. My son was 16 and had his driver's permit and was able to drive one. You all stay in a line and are assigned a number as far as order and just follow each other. We are looking forward to going in CocoCay!

I've done it twice and loved it. I was definitely braver the second time around. I brought my real digitial camera and kept it in a ziploc in the front compartment. Then I took it out when we made stops on the tour. The guys that helped with the boats were great...took photos of us on the waverunners and on the dock.

Same here- I drove with my 13yr old grandson on the back and my other grandson aged 17 rode on the back of a friend,also age17,who had a driving license.

It was exhilarating,but I found it more strenuous than I realised.

Next time I'll be the passenger.

When can I book on line for an October cruise. And when is a good time slot for this jet skiing. Unfortunately our DD(11) will not want to do this, so it will be our DS(10) and DH together..... maybe next time it will be DH and DW!( what we do for children...LOL)

Myself and my BF did the waverunner back in February 2006 in Labadee. IT WAS AWESOME!!:D We can't wait to do it again in 2007. You do travel in a line with a group, but they line you by experience. In the beginning you do watch a short video and they run over the instructions with you. After that everyone puts on lifevests and off you go. Highly recommend it!!

How does it compare with just renting them on your own while on another island stop? Everyone says this tour is great. I have seen others renting in St. Maarten and Cozumel and Jamaica, but they just go up and down and across the beach area.... not much to see. How is this tour at Labadee different. Thanks~!

I'm so happy to read about this. In 2 stops at Labadee, we haven't been able to do it as DD is still only 9. It's definitely on our to do list for next spring break!

I've never been on a jet ski... if I'm careful, what are the odds of me falling off?

You can easily stay on and not fall off. If you're not as comfortable on the waverunner, stay towards the back of the line and you don't have to go as fast. Just don't take the corners tight and stay in the wake of the person in front of you and you won't fall off. It's a blast!

I have a little different opinion than the other posters here. I went on this excursion a couple of years ago and did not care for it. I had rented Waverunners before and had a blast, so I was really looking forward to this on Labadee. What I didn't realize was how different the experience was on a calm lake vs. the ocean. In even very calm seas you get bounced around quite a bit if you go any decent speed. Also, even though you are arranged by how fast you want to go on the tour, there is a lot of pressure to keep up with the person in front of you and not hold up the line. I much preferred the freedom to go where I wanted and how fast I wanted with an individual rental.

We had a great time on this excursion last month while in Labadee on the Brilliance last month. My DW and I rode double and felt it was one of the best things to offer there.

Aubie

They told me they didn't allow Auburn fans on their ships. :D

We won't be visiting Labadee again for another 14 months (just booked the June 30, 2007 Liberty of the Seas)...but I already know this is going to be a major debate in our household...

We were last there on the Grandeur in 1999 with our daughters (then 13 and 15)...they really wanted to do this whether we wanted to go or not...but, alas, the age limits and driver's license requirements meant that for them to go, both my wife and I would have to drive...and NO WAY was Beth going to drive one of those things...

This time, we'll be there without the kids...so I can drive and she can be a passenger...The question now is whether she'll want to go on one of those things if I'M driving it!!! She thinks I'm a little reckless (I'm not...but, what's the sense of being on one and going 10 miles an hour? It's like the little old lady who buys a Porsche or Ferrari and putters along in it at 35 on the freeway!)

Last time, we ended up taking a dumb boat excursion with local dancers entertaining...couldn't wait to get off that...

And, it was the most expensive port stop we ever had: Beth, somewhat stupidly as she now admits, was wearing a diamond ring...and lost it somewhere in the water at the beach at Labadee...Centuries from now, archaeologists will find it and surmise "These people were dirt poor, yet they had exquisite jewelry!"

One of the interesting things you do see at Labadee as you get away from the private beach, is the locals doing subsistence level fishing off crude hand-made rafts...and dropping the catch off to their families, living out in the trees...

I often wonder what they think as the giant cruise ships come gliding into port...or even waht they think when their wind and paddle-powered craft are passed by rich tourists playing on jet-skis...

Re Labadee fishermen:

During our tour we stopped close to shore and were approached by some canoes with the skinniest looking people onboard,trying to sell us 'local crafts'...... if I had been carrying any money I would have just handed it all to them. I had just paid $200 for the privelege of zooming around for an hour on a jetski and that amount would have provided them with some decent food. It did make me think..

And appreciate what I have.

At least when the cruise ships dock there they contribute something in the way of port fees to the local economy don't they?

I have a little different opinion than the other posters here. I went on this excursion a couple of years ago and did not care for it. I had rented Waverunners before and had a blast, so I was really looking forward to this on Labadee. What I didn't realize was how different the experience was on a calm lake vs. the ocean. In even very calm seas you get bounced around quite a bit if you go any decent speed. Also, even though you are arranged by how fast you want to go on the tour, there is a lot of pressure to keep up with the person in front of you and not hold up the line. I much preferred the freedom to go where I wanted and how fast I wanted with an individual rental.
I agree. The ocean, even when very calm, is rough with a jet ski. Although my wife and I had a blast when we did this tour a couple yrs ago, we won't ever do it again. I had a sore back for a week and a stiff neck for a month. It's rough!

• 4 weeks later...
We also did the waverunner in Labadee and had a blast. My son was 16 and had his driver's permit and was able to drive one. You all stay in a line and are assigned a number as far as order and just follow each other. We are looking forward to going in CocoCay!

My 16yr old son also has his permit,will they let you drive with a permit? They said if your under 21 to bring your DL my older son is 19 do we need to bring that? Did they really check? We have rented them in Cozumel but they did'nt ask him for anything.

Archived