Sydney Hotel - Any Suggestions?

wrp96

My aunt is going to Sydney for a week this coming September and is currently looking for a hotel. Does anybody have any suggestions of a good, reasonably priced hotel or at the very least a good area of town to look for one in?

My aunt is going to Sydney for a week this coming September and is currently looking for a hotel. Does anybody have any suggestions of a good, reasonably priced hotel or at the very least a good area of town to look for one in?
What do you mean by "reasonably priced"? If the budget can deal with about USD 100-120 per night, try Pricelining a 5* hotel in the city centre. Almost always you will get the Sydney Harbour Marriott, which is a very good hotel (ex-Renaissance) in a very good location, and which is an absolute steal at that price. But nothing is guaranteed when Pricelining, so only do this if you are prepared to take the risk.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We spent three days in Sydney in February as a part of a Grand Circle Australia, New Zealand, and Fiji tour. Sydney is a wonderful city to visit. We stayed in the Carlton Crest hotel. It was only average plus it had the further disadvantage of being about 2 miles from the harbor.

We will be returning in March for HAL cruise which begins in Sydney. We plan to spend two nights prior to the cruise in Sydney. I plan to try Priceline for our hotel. For Sydney, Priceline has one area, Sydney Center. The 5* hotel that has been obtained through Priceline for $120 to 160 is the Sydney Harbour Marriott. Not only is it a good hotel, it is ideally located on the waterfront at Sydney Cove, close to the Rocks district, the Opera House and about two blocks from where the ms Statendam will dock. Further, it is across from the Circular Quay rail station. Apparently the best and quickest way to get to central Sydney from the airport (even faster than by cab and certainly faster than waiting for a HAL bus and other passengers) is the airport rail link (www.airportlink.com.au). It takes about 15 minutes and the station is in the basement of the airport terminal. Cost pp is $11 AUD, about $8 US. So far I have bid up to $160/night with no luck. I will continue to try over the next few months. It may be too early for inventory to be available.

If this doesn’t work out, I will probably back up to 4* hotels ($90-110 on Priceline). I have an excellent map that shows the locations of over 80 hotels. Any hotel within about a mile of the waterfront would be acceptable. In addition, the Novotel Darling Harbour (but not the Ibis Darling Harbour!) would be great. It looks over Cockle Bay. This is a great area with many, many restaurants, from fast food to fine dining, and close to the Maritime Museum and the Aquarium. I would also consider the Old Sydney Holiday Inn because of its location in the Rocks. Not the Holiday Inn Darling Harbour. This is too far from the city center, close to the Carlton Crest. If your into boutique accommodations, I would seriously consider the Lord Nelson or even the Russell Hotel, both in the Rocks.

Archived