Dover or Harwich

Can anybody tell me if it easier to get to and cruise out of Dover or Harwich,

England on a transatlantic. I am a full time wheelchair user. If you have done

either of these ports how did you get there? Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill

Tampa, Fl

Hello Bill,

We are leaving from Dover this summer on our Baltic cruise. My husband uses a scooter and wheelchair, but is not full time. He can walk a short distance and can transfer.

We are using a transfer service to go from Heathrow to Dover. The owner has a Kia Sedona minivan.

We are staying at the Premier Travel Inn Central the night before the cruise because they have handicapped facilities.

Will try to let everyone know how this turns out when we return as this is the first time we've sailed from Britian.

Hope this helps a little.

My husband is a full time wheelchair user. We have sailed out of or into both Dover and Harwich with no issues at either port.

The biggest issue might be getting to/from the port. We used a private transfer to get to Harwich and a ship transfer from Dover so I do not know about the accessibilty of trains or public transportation.

Judy and Dale thanks for the info. Could you please sent me how to

contact the private transport company for the London to Dover/Harwich

trip.

Thank you again for your help

Bill

Tampa

Hi again Bill,

My mom's in Seminole- fairly close to you. Just came home from visiting her.

The fellow we're using is David Stubbs who owns London Country Tours.

www.londoncountrytours.co.uk.

davidstubbs@lineone.net

He is great to work with. I emailed him with all of the things we are bringing and he can take us in his Kia. He'll let you know if he can fit everything into the vehicle. Don't forget that European taxis and vans are much smaller than in the USA.

Bill:

Unluckily on our second visit to England, we found that the company we had used for touring and to transfer to Harwich had been sold and the new owner did not respond to my email regarding tours in the Dover area.

I suggest that you search the web using a variety of phases - tour companies, cars and drivers amd anything else you can think of. That is how I found that company and ones in other countries. I have found that pricing varies greatly and is not always an indication of the quality of the service.

Also, have you considered ship transfers? We have never used them in England, but several cruise lines (e.g. RCCL, Celebrity and HAL) have provided us with accessible transportation (or a van since my husband can transfer to a van or taxi) for the price of a regular transfer.

• 4 weeks later...

bill, we have cruise out of dover and harwich with a scooter and a wheelchair with no problems - ditto southampton. in all cases, we have used the same company for transfer from london to the ship. it is wheelchair travel and the email is trevor@wheelchairtravel.co.uk and the fax is 01483 237772. the owner is trevor pollitt; he has a number of drivers and accessible vehicles with lifts and we have been fortunate to have him personally on 2 occasions. can't tell you anything about price because the transfers were included in our precruise london stays by both rccl and princess.

Archived