UNTOLD RULES in buying fun ship dollars in advance

Luckily I asked my TA (after buying them) if I needed to do anything else with the fun ship dollars mailed to me before the cruise, I was just gonna take them on the ship and try to hand them in as cash for credit to my sign and sail.

He said I have to sign them at least 15 days in advance and mail a part of them back to carnival or himself in order to make sure they will be credited to my sign and sail. This sounds like too much of a hassle, I think Im going to just by travelers cheques from now on for the cruise. :(

Luckily I asked my TA (after buying them) if I needed to do anything else with the fun ship dollars mailed to me before the cruise, I was just gonna take them on the ship and try to hand them in as cash for credit to my sign and sail.

He said I have to sign them at least 15 days in advance and mail a part of them back to carnival or himself in order to make sure they will be credited to my sign and sail. This sounds like too much of a hassle, I think Im going to just by travelers cheques from now on for the cruise. :(

You need to hire a new TA:cool: He is totally wrong. We have done this several times. Just take them to the pursers desk when you get on the ship and they will credit them to your sail and sign card:)

My TA handled it for me. When I went in to make my final payment she made a copy of the fun ship dollars for my records, then mailed the original form in to Carnival for me. It wasn't a hassle at all.

My TA handled it for me. When I went in to make my final payment she made a copy of the fun ship dollars for my records, then mailed the original form in to Carnival for me. It wasn't a hassle at all.

Yeah, I guess that way it probably wouldnt be a hassle if she did it for you, unfortunately, mine didnt say anything about it, I found out about this on my own.

Better yet: take the money you want to put into Funship Dollars and put them in an ING Direct savings account instead. Pay your cruise bill with a credit card, and use the money in your ING account to pay the credit card bill. This way you get some sort of reward points for using the credit card and your money earns interest in your savings account until that bill is due.

You need to hire a new TA:cool: He is totally wrong. We have done this several times. Just take them to the pursers desk when you get on the ship and they will credit them to your sail and sign card:)

I really hope your right! here is what someone else told me (you'll see it on this post):

Im guessing this person didnt have them mailed at all, but credited straight to the on board account. Not too sure:confused:

I really hope your right! here is what someone else told me (you'll see it on this post):

Trust me. We have done this several times. It might make you feel better if you give Carnival a call yourself. They will tell you.:)

Rvr is totally correct. You can either hand them in at the Purser's desk, or you can purchase them over the phone through CCL, and instead of having them mail them ask them to be put down as a onboard credit, which is what we did.

We used our funship dollars on the Pride April 16th. We just handed them to the Purser's desk and applied them to our sign and sail account. It was very easy and no problem..........

We have purchased Funship $$ via the CCL gift website three different times for our cruise later this month. Each time we purchased them we received an e-mail from CCL telling us that we could disregard the instruction printed on the back and simply bring them on board with us.

I think the rules may be different if you are actually using them to pay for the cruise as opposed to using them on our S&S account.

I never even got the paper coupons. I bought them online, and, thanks to a tip from on here, just put my booking number in the Address 1 line on the web order form, and got an e-mail stating they would be directly applied to my onboard account. Now I just have to print out all those e-mails, and I should be set. No coupons to deal with. :cool:

If you go to your reservation and click on modify booking down at the bottom under preferences where it shows what you've paid there is a line that shows how much you put on your S&S. It's called booking charge/credit i think. my total that i prepaid is there. I think this only works if you booked through Carnival though.

:)

Trust me. We have done this several times. It might make you feel better if you give Carnival a call yourself. They will tell you.:)

Thank you soooo much! Because I did have them mailed to me though, do you happen to know if I DO need to mail anything in ( I guess I could wait a day or two for them to get here, but I'd rather take advice from someone who actually knows):) I have our booking and cabin #, I'll definitely do it the other way from now on:o

We have purchased Funship $$ via the CCL gift website three different times for our cruise later this month. Each time we purchased them we received an e-mail from CCL telling us that we could disregard the instruction printed on the back and simply bring them on board with us.

I think the rules may be different if you are actually using them to pay for the cruise as opposed to using them on our S&S account.

The cruise is paid for, I was wanting to start pre-paying our s&s account instead of pulling a large amount out of savings at once (I just dont trust the credit card thing, I've heard too much about "holds" and other issues). I did get a confirmation email, nothing like what your talking about. I also have not got the actual $$ in the mail yet, maybe Im jumping the gun a little, I got nervous talking to our TA:rolleyes:

Count me in as one of the ones that has taken them to the pursers desk... although from now on, I'll just be calling up and applying money to my S&S... I don't want to be responsible for those things ever again :p :D

Thank you soooo much! Because I did have them mailed to me though, do you happen to know if I DO need to mail anything in ( I guess I could wait a day or two for them to get here, but I'd rather take advice from someone who actually knows):) I have our booking and cabin #, I'll definitely do it the other way from now on:o

No. You don't have to mail anything in. When you get them though, I believe it might say something on the back to that effect.

The first time I ordered them I kinda freaked out also. I ordered them for my kids christmas present. On the back it said to mail them in by a certain time........well if I did that then I couldn't wrap them and give as a gift. So I called my TA and she called Carnival. Carnival said just bring onto the ship and they would add to their sail and sign card. Long story short, that's what we did:) Since then, we have done it 4 more times.:)

Good luck!

No. You don't have to mail anything in. When you get them though, I believe it might say something on the back to that effect.

The first time I ordered them I kinda freaked out also. I ordered them for my kids christmas present. On the back it said to mail them in by a certain time........well if I did that then I couldn't wrap them and give as a gift. So I called my TA and she called Carnival. Carnival said just bring onto the ship and they would add to their sail and sign card. Long story short, that's what we did:) Since then, we have done it 4 more times.:)

Good luck!

this really helps, but it makes me very, very nervous about my TA now. My dad paid for the cruise for him and my mom, and me and my husband through some TA he found (he's never been on a cruise before, none of us except me and that was YEARS ago). The TA gave me all our booking #'s with carnival so i dont see why I would have any problems doing it the way you all did. When I get these things in the mail, I'll definitely check back:p

this really helps, but it makes me very, very nervous about my TA now. My dad paid for the cruise for him and my mom, and me and my husband through some TA he found (he's never been on a cruise before, none of us except me and that was YEARS ago). The TA gave me all our booking #'s with carnival so i dont see why I would have any problems doing it the way you all did. When I get these things in the mail, I'll definitely check back:p

Your TA was just telling you the way it really is supposed to be. They DO say you have to mail them in... and Carnival many times will even tell you this. We are just telling you our experiences. Now, none of us can guarantee what your experience will be... we can just tell you what happened to us ;)

Your TA was just telling you the way it really is supposed to be. They DO say you have to mail them in... and Carnival many times will even tell you this. We are just telling you our experiences. Now, none of us can guarantee what your experience will be... we can just tell you what happened to us ;)

I appreciate the advice, I'll call carnival and see what they say when I get them in the mail. I suppose things do work differently depending on the circumstances. Nothing I didnt expect though:) thats why Im asking and planning ahead:):D

Also, Im sooo new at this, can and how do I save you to my "buddy list" to check on this when I get these things in the mail. You seem to have a lot of knowledge on a lot of this stuff:rolleyes:

The cruise is paid for, I was wanting to start pre-paying our s&s account instead of pulling a large amount out of savings at once (I just dont trust the credit card thing, I've heard too much about "holds" and other issues). I did get a confirmation email, nothing like what your talking about. I also have not got the actual $$ in the mail yet, maybe Im jumping the gun a little, I got nervous talking to our TA:rolleyes:

I also have thought of putting 1k on the S&S in advance, but the question I have is what happens at the end if I have a balance? Cash back? :confused:

I been buying 1 $50.00 funship certificate each pay. I have almost 600. towards my onboard account. I have used these each cruise in the past. I have taken them to the pursers desk. I dont trust sending theminthe mail because where is the proof that they were sent and/or received.

If you have funds still in the account on the last day you get a check for the remainder. You can cash that check at the pursers desk.

My onboard account has always been under 300 for the both of us. I also buy drink coupons/soda coupons and photo coupons to prepay as much as my account as possible.

Money that is onboard credit through a drop in price or through a booking you use it or lose it. (this is what confuses people)

money you place there yourself-- you will get whats left.

Also, Im sooo new at this, can and how do I save you to my "buddy list" to check on this when I get these things in the mail. You seem to have a lot of knowledge on a lot of this stuff:rolleyes:

the buddy list here is disabled.

As someone else said in this post they buy them every payday. I also do this it is a good way to have the money and not be temped to spend it before you sail. I do NOT want a big bill at the end of the cruise so everything is going into my account (cabin number instead of your home address) this is a sure and easy way of doing things and not have to worry about coming up with the money at the end. My DH is also doing this each month so he will have money for (tips & drinks) and they said at the end you just cash out and get the money you did not spend. One less thing to worry about when you are trying to remember everything you will need for the cruise!;) When I get the email from carnival I print it out and have a copy and the total that I have already. I plan on doing this each week that way I never see the money and I or my DH have no way of getting it until we take the cruise. I have learned alot by hanging out on this website:p I am adicted to it. every day I get up and look to see how many more days we have to go! CAN'T WAIT!

This probably isn't an issue to most of you, but I thought I would mention it. Those "Fun Ship Dollars" do expire!!!! My step daughter gave us $100.00 in Fun Ship Dollars for Christmas a few years ago. Since then, we have been on 3 cruises, unfortunately, none of them on Carnival. Well, we just scheduled a cruise on the Miracle for 9/3 of this year and I tried to apply my "money" to the booking and the res agent said they had expired. When I looked over the coupon closely, I noticed that they had expired on 2/8/06. What a bummer, $100 wasted.

Archived