Nha Trang

billsrobb

I was stationed in Nha Trang IFFV in 1967. I have always wanted to go back to see what the city looks like now. A cruise sounds like a good idea. where exactly does the ship port? Is it Nha Trang or else where? Does anyone remember the Grand Hotel, seems that was the name of the compound I was at?

Robb

I was stationed in Nha Trang IFFV in 1967. I have always wanted to go back to see what the city looks like now. A cruise sounds like a good idea. where exactly does the ship port? Is it Nha Trang or else where? Does anyone remember the Grand Hotel, seems that was the name of the compound I was at?

Robb

This was my experience in October, 2005. I posted it on another Asia cruise thread. I was "in country" twice-1970 and 1971 with the USO.

Nha Trang-ship docks basically in town. Easy to do. If your DH is Vietnam war era, look up the "Mama Hahn boat trip". http://travelchannel.igougo.com/planning/journalEntryActivity.asp?JournalID=447&EntryID=103 5&n=Mama+Hahn's+Boat+Trip

My friends all told me I would hate it-too many backpackers, too crappy, not "upscale enough". I have done it twice since October 2005. The most deja vu experience I have ever had in my life. To be floating in Cam Rahn Bay, where almost every American who served in Vietnam landed, listening to the soundtrack of "Good Morning Vietnam" amongst both Vietnamese natives, Vietnamese from America (Viet keu) and backpackers from other countries was truly a highlight in my life. Easily bookable from any agency in Nha Trang. There are a LOT of agencies. Or you can book all of your Vietnam stuff from this guy-http://www.indochinatravel.com/home.html

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Nha Trang 2 years ago as part of a Princess Cruise. I had been there for a few days during the war (was actually stationed at Da Nang) and this was our 2nd cruise to "Nam." The ship docked about a mile from town (just down the coast) and my wife and I decided to avoid all the tours and just walk into town. We found an excellent beach club (just as you enter town from the South) and rented chairs for the day. The service on this beach was wonderful, and we had decent drinks and lunch. The city has not changed much since the war..except its cleaner and there is some new construction. It still has great resort potential, but still lacks the top facilities.

Hank

The city has not changed much since the war..except its cleaner and there is some new construction. It still has great resort potential, but still lacks the top facilities.

Hank

The city itself has not changed much. But foreigners have built some top notch facilities. I stayed here http://www.vietnamstay.com/hotel/vinpearl/ in October 2005. Pretty spectacular AND they are expanding, with condos for sale, a golf course and more beach front rooms.

Ana Mandara is another 4+* hotel in Nha Trang (I stayed there in February)http://www.vietnamstay.com/hotel/anamandara/. But I like the Vin Pearl better. Love the boat ride to the resort. The Vietnamese are VERY big on infinity edge pools going down to the sea. There are at least three such pools in Vietnam that I know of.

The city itself has not changed much. But foreigners have built some top notch facilities. I stayed here http://www.vietnamstay.com/hotel/vinpearl/ in October 2005. Pretty spectacular AND they are expanding, with condos for sale, a golf course and more beach front rooms.

Ana Mandara is another 4+* hotel in Nha Trang (I stayed there in February)http://www.vietnamstay.com/hotel/anamandara/. But I like the Vin Pearl better. Love the boat ride to the resort. The Vietnamese are VERY big on infinity edge pools going down to the sea. There are at least three such pools in Vietnam that I know of.

Greatam

Do you know if either one of these hotels will allow cruise passengers to purchase a day pass to use their facilities? If not do you know of any beach resorts close to the cruise port that would let us spend a beach day with them?

Thanks

Greatam

Do you know if either one of these hotels will allow cruise passengers to purchase a day pass to use their facilities? If not do you know of any beach resorts close to the cruise port that would let us spend a beach day with them?

Thanks

I am not sure about the resorts. Ana Mandara has a large spa and a tour dept, so they must have "day trips". A phone call or email should do the trick. Vin Pearl will almost have to let people go to the island to play golf for the day (unless the course is ONLY for hotel guests). I don't play golf, so never inquired. Wish I would have seen your post a couple days ago-I was in DaNang and could have made the inquiry for you. Sorry.

This place in Nha Trang DEFINITELY can be used for a day trip. The food and bar are very good. The beach was not very crowded the two times I have been there.

http://www.elephantguide.com/sailingclubnhatrang/index.htm

Read my new post in the other Nam thread. When we were in Nha Trang we just walked from the port into town and went into a decent looking beach club as we entered town. The facilities were pretty good, and we were treated very well. My hunch would be that you could arrange day passes anywhere.. as the Vietnamise business folks are still entreprenaurial...despite the fact that they still have a very restrictive government.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...

Robb

Robb, I was also stationed in Nha Trang around that time and I too would love to go back on a cruise but I can not find any one who would like to make the trip. Have you tried Google Eearth, you can bring Nha Trang up real good but I can not find the Grand Hotel since that is where I worked. I can not even find our old compound and I have searched all the streets looking for it and we were only two blocks from the water.

Robb, I was also stationed in Nha Trang around that time and I too would love to go back on a cruise but I can not find any one who would like to make the trip. Have you tried Google Eearth, you can bring Nha Trang up real good but I can not find the Grand Hotel since that is where I worked. I can not even find our old compound and I have searched all the streets looking for it and we were only two blocks from the water.

I'm going back in a couple of months. I am up for company. All land trip-no cruise. Not enough time to see anything on a cruise. And China is sooo polluted!!! But I absolutely love Vietnam and Cambodia. If interested, email greatam@earthlink.net

Hi there, I was stationed at the Grand Hotel 69-70 and spent a lot of time on the beach at noon time. I went back there this past February and stayed at Vin Pearl which is located on the ocean side of Hon Tre Island which you will all remember. Yes, the Grand is there located better than ever. It isn't called the Grand anymore (may be for political reasons), but is Guest House and I'm not sure what number maybe like 62. Right next door on the southern side is the older government bldg which is now a gorgeous opera house. On the beach across from the Grand is a huge monument under some sort of construction the war victory... I use to lay out on that sandy area and soak up the rays in my younger days. You can fly to Saigon easily these days and get an in country Air Vietnam flight from there to Nha Trang via the old air base facility at Cam Rahn Bay and then shuttle up a brand new coastal route into Nha Trang. Vin Pearl was a beautiful place to stay and ran about $155 a night including buffet breakfast. Across from the Grand is the Nha Trang Lodge a high rise for about $65 a night. Lots of new places.. I wouldn't worry about finding one ahead of time if you wanted to wait except for Vin Pearl ... it is run by Soffitel so look on their web site. They use Cam Rahn now instead of the old air base... the cruise port is actually south of the air base an area I frankly didn't even realize was there since I think most of that area was secure for navy supply port as I remember. The beaches are all public and a great restruarant and beach facility is located not far south of the old Grand call the Sailling Club... great food and atmosphere with outdoor dining lunch and evening. I'm attaching a photo of the Grand hope it takes. By the way Air Vietnam (the airbus flights) were some of the nicest flights and airline people we've ever been on...Air France has had a (training role) with them... we flew them from Seim Reap (Cambodia) to Saigon then to Nha Trang and back to Saigon. By the way the airport in Saigon is not like you'll remember if you were there back in the old days.. for that matter neither is Saigon... still a lot of the old landmarks there... but instead of thousand of bicycles it's now motorcycles with very nice and reasonable hotels to stay in. We stayed on the Marriott right on the river and the staff was wonderful... another story.

600351040_GrandHotel.jpg.22dea7cb6800005fe3fd54fd87cfd04d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there, I was stationed at the Grand Hotel 69-70 and spent a lot of time on the beach at noon time. I went back there this past February and stayed at Vin Pearl which is located on the ocean side of Hon Tre Island which you will all remember. Yes, the Grand is there located better than ever. It isn't called the Grand anymore (may be for political reasons), but is Guest House and I'm not sure what number maybe like 62. Right next door on the southern side is the older government bldg which is now a gorgeous opera house. On the beach across from the Grand is a huge monument under some sort of construction the war victory... I use to lay out on that sandy area and soak up the rays in my younger days. You can fly to Saigon easily these days and get an in country Air Vietnam flight from there to Nha Trang via the old air base facility at Cam Rahn Bay and then shuttle up a brand new coastal route into Nha Trang. Vin Pearl was a beautiful place to stay and ran about $155 a night including buffet breakfast. Across from the Grand is the Nha Trang Lodge a high rise for about $65 a night. Lots of new places.. I wouldn't worry about finding one ahead of time if you wanted to wait except for Vin Pearl ... it is run by Soffitel so look on their web site. They use Cam Rahn now instead of the old air base... the cruise port is actually south of the air base an area I frankly didn't even realize was there since I think most of that area was secure for navy supply port as I remember. The beaches are all public and a great restruarant and beach facility is located not far south of the old Grand call the Sailling Club... great food and atmosphere with outdoor dining lunch and evening. I'm attaching a photo of the Grand hope it takes. By the way Air Vietnam (the airbus flights) were some of the nicest flights and airline people we've ever been on...Air France has had a (training role) with them... we flew them from Seim Reap (Cambodia) to Saigon then to Nha Trang and back to Saigon. By the way the airport in Saigon is not like you'll remember if you were there back in the old days.. for that matter neither is Saigon... still a lot of the old landmarks there... but instead of thousand of bicycles it's now motorcycles with very nice and reasonable hotels to stay in. We stayed on the Marriott right on the river and the staff was wonderful... another story.

Tropic:

Thanks for your post on the Conquest bb site. I am now over here and boy the Grand Hotel looks nothing like I remember it. There is a way to find the old compound but I can't remember how to do it. I did it once a few yrs ago but have forgotten. If I find this out I will e-mail it. I used to spend allot of time on the beach too. Some day I will go back hopefully in a year or two. Thanks again for contacting me.

Robb

• 6 years later...

I was there n 1966-67 with JUSPAO. Going back in apr 2013. Need to check it out and see the changes. I enjoyed my stay with the Army there.

Archived