Insulting response from Carnival

Prince1

Well, I am not even sailing till Feb., but the itinerary changed for the Destiny and I too found out on this board. When I phoned Carnival they confirmed it, but said if enough complaints they could go back to Aruba. I have still not been notified "officially" whatever that is, but I do agree, this is a pain when trying to confirm what to do at ports. I suppose I will get something concrete down for Antigua and St. Lucia and then they will go back to Aruba!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sure many people in this world wish that was their only problem:rolleyes: so I guess I am just thankful I'll be cruising!!!!!!!!:p (And thankful I can find things out on this board)--so don't be too hard on the poster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Booked cruise Key West, Cozumel, Belize, CCL cancelled Cozumel added Costa Maya(can't remember how I found out but it wasn't through CCL). Just found out, through this board, that they cancelled Key West and ADDED Nassau and Cozumel!!!! I was looking forward to that extra sea day. Do you think I could get a free cruise?

I really like the sea days. And if you book your excursions thru Carnival, you don't have to worry about changes in itinerary. You just go with the flow. Sometimes it's just too much work trying to save money by booking excusions outside of Carnival.

I don't know who is right or who is wrong. But one stipulation that Carnival has that hit me right in the face from day one is that they can change itineraties without notification. To me, the statement that passengers will be notified when practical means not to expect a notification directly.

Therfore, I may be dissapointed if a port I really want to go to is substituted, but it is always a possibility that a change could take place.

I feel safer booking excursions thru Carnival, with the exception of Sunset Beach in Jamaica, which I have researched quite a bit, and you don't pay for it until you get there. It may cost a little more to book thru Carnival, but the extra expense is worth it. Think of it as insurance. After all, this will only be our 2nd cruise.

Of course I can understand why the OP is upset. After all, form letters are pretty cold. But I believe his being upset goes beyond the form letter. He was upset that we was not notified of the 2nd change. Then he was again upset because Carnival did not make it up to him. Instead, he received a form letter which explained their position.

Another reason to book your excursions thru Carnival. You never know what can happen on a cruise. You can sometimes find yourself SOL. Enjoy the cruise and move on. Wind can cause the ship not to dock somewhere, and they will let you know when it happens. Nothing is set in stone, as things can happen. Sometime its whatever can go wrong will. Learn to go with the flow. Always check out what your status is, never rely on someone else. You learn that after a few cruises, and I still love to go with Carnival.

I wonder what the tone of voice the OP used in their letter? Sometimes e mail just doesn't get through or is deleted accidently. On the upcoming Glory change my DW deleted the e mail assuming it was just another sale announcement.

Now this has got to be one of the longest threads I have waded through. I just want to say, I think I agree wholeheartedly with Prince. Seems 1 of the negative responders is happy with poor customer service. I dont own even 1 bmw, and have invested quite a bit into my first cruise, which I will take on Jan, 2007. I am not a "Expert" traveler. I did fortunately find these boards and have been educating myself, but man, there are some harsh people on these boards. Almost seems they are being paid, or have stock invested. I will more than likely lurk on these boards, and read what the few complainers are willing to post, as that negative experiences are what I want to avoid. I am surprised anyone posts of a negative experince though, as many of the responses are just embarassing.

You all act like everyone is in the digital age, and should look at web sites, and be as informed as those members on these boards are. I am also in the IT field, and I know many of my customers hardly know what google is, let alone how to find itinerary changes on Carnivals website. My grandmother when on her first cruise before she passed away, and this is the truth, never used a ATM before, and yet she went on a cruise. Do you think she was capable of browsing the web for itinerary changes? Give the guy a break.

There is always room for improvement as far as customer relations go. I am in the customer service business, and even though we do mostly good, we respond to each and every negative complaint as if it is valid. If it turns out to be invalid, we do the "Kiss the Customers behind" and all laugh about how rediculous the complaint is. Thats how customer service goes. Sure, I am in a smaller organization than Carnival and have the ability to ensure complaints are taken seriously, but I dont think size of a corporation should limit their liabilty in the least.

As I am ranting, mentioned many times were reading liscense agreements, ticket fine details, etc. Tell me you read each and every word when you installed your last version of Windows, or any other piece of software. Very few people do. Business use those as a crutch in many instances, taking away customer rights by saying, it was in our liscense agreement, so go away. Sure, that is a necessity in some instances, due to the sue happy world we live in. Bubba has created the need of businesses taking that route by suing for the coffee in the lap. I still think that that does not remove any liability from a company. I tip poorly, (if I can get it past my wife whome used to waite tables) when service is poor. Why, because I am greedy? No, because I feel it makes the waitress realize, she is doing a crappy job. If I just paid out a huge tip, after my dinner was sub par, what lesson is learned there. No customer should sit and take what ever is dished out if they feel there is room for improvement.

In summary to my long rant, I see where Prince maybe should have checked the web site, but I also see from a customer service standpoint where Carnival should have made an attempt to at the very least, play that "Customer is always Right" response, weather they felt they were or not. Also, as I am sure I will be slammed for this, for the love of god, some of you need to get over yourself, or demand more reimbursment from Carnival for your total robotic dedication.

When it comes to me spending a good deal of money on my vacation, you can better believe I read the contract! If I get screwed and haven't read it, I deserve what I get!!! Anyone who doesn't read their contract and is putting out money, is foolish.

I agree, not everyone has computer access or knows how to even operate a computer. But if they don't know how to operate a telephone, they probably have no business booking a cruise... just my opinion, not flaming.

play that "Customer is always Right" response, weather they felt they were or not.

As a business owner I've got to tell you that the customer is not always right. There comes a point where it it not worth the trouble to keep a customer and it is better to just cut them loose. Carnival, like all big corporations, has untold thousands of folks trying to scam something for nothing, whining about nitpicky bs, overreacting to insignificant issues and folks who you just can't reason with even if you wanted to. That is why others like the OP get that generic, cold form letter. Believe me you can't spring anything new on Carnival. They've heard it all before. This is not their first rodeo. I'm sure that when they were a smaller company you may have gotten a personal reply but with all the hate mail I'm sure they get everyday can you really expect a personal reply. You've got to think that if they carry 4 million pax a year and only 1% send in a complaint letter that's 40,000 complaints a year or 3333 a month. They may actually read each and every complaint but only act on the ones they deem to be of a legitmate and serious nature.

I too would be upset. I recently experienced poor customer service with Carnival. I am a business owner and when I spend my hard earned money I have certain expectations. Ten years ago I had a terrible experience at a chain restaurant and I have never been back. At least I know that company will never make another cent from me.

As a business owner I've got to tell you that the customer is not always right. There comes a point where it it not worth the trouble to keep a customer and it is better to just cut them loose. Carnival, like all big corporations, has untold thousands of folks trying to scam something for nothing, whining about nitpicky bs, overreacting to insignificant issues and folks who you just can't reason with even if you wanted to. That is why others like the OP get that generic, cold form letter. Believe me you can't spring anything new on Carnival. They've heard it all before. This is not their first rodeo. I'm sure that when they were a smaller company you may have gotten a personal reply but with all the hate mail I'm sure they get everyday can you really expect a personal reply. You've got to think that if they carry 4 million pax a year and only 1% send in a complaint letter that's 40,000 complaints a year or 3333 a month. They may actually read each and every complaint but only act on the ones they deem to be of a legitmate and serious nature.

This really is it in at nutshell as I stated earlier....Carnival is already in that "stance" and the OP just got the prepared cold form letter.....AND...it appears the OP as well as others have increased knowledge here and this thread has pretty well run it's course with all the opinions..without getting out of control......which it could have and I don't want to have to delete it so I think I'll perserve it and close it for now.....Thanks :)

Archived