Insulting response from Carnival

Prince1

I don't think that expecting e-mail notification of a change is asking too much. One e-mail could be typed and sent automatically to everyone on that particular sailing. I doubt it would take more than a few minutes.

The first e-mail that told of the original change probably led the OP to believe that notification is the norm, not the exception.

We received e-mails concerning the time changes to Conquest's departure. I would have expected them to do the same if the time's had changed again.

The web site is great for those who use computers on a daily basis, but there are still many people who do not own or operate computers.

The contract is written to protect the company from liability. IMO, it does not protect them from the need of good customer service. Secondly, the response to his complaint could have been handled in a more diplomatic manner. He probably would have been more accepting of the slight if Carnival had taken a different tone in their letter to him.

What's the excuse for not calling?? People are expected to call the airlines prior to flying to check for changes, what is different about a cruise other than you pay more and it's a vacation. I would never travel ANYWHERE without checking my itinerary and verifying my schedule. Then again, I don't mind taking responsibility for MYSELF, actually, I kind of expect it of myself. Learned long ago that if you want something done right, you do yourself. Carnival put the notice of the change back to the original itin on their website, and notified their PVP's... so while completing your funpass, it would have been there. If scheduling excursions online, it's there, etc. If Carnival sent ME an email, I would not see it... because it would have gone to spam... just like it would have for thousands of others. Bottom line, the OP stated that he/she is a very savvy traveler... a savvy traveler, checks the itin.

That last statement kind of negates your first.

No negation - two different situations - For those who do not use e-mail, cruise lines could send out snail mail when time allows for that.

From what Prince is saying, it was their response that he takes the most offense to.

No negation - two different situations - For those who do not use e-mail, cruise lines could send out snail mail when time allows for that.

From what Prince is saying, it was their response that he takes the most offense to.

So you are saying, that anytime there is a port change, Carnival should send out a snail mail to the tens of thousands that are affected????? :eek: FTLOG!! No thank you... I'd prefer that they spend that money elsewhere. WOW. I can't even begin to imagine, considering the number of times, on all cruiselines, itineraries are changed. WOW. All I can say is WOW. Well, I guess that would be a first...

What's the excuse for not calling?? People are expected to call the airlines prior to flying to check for changes, what is different about a cruise other than you pay more and it's a vacation. I would never travel ANYWHERE without checking my itinerary and verifying my schedule. Then again, I don't mind taking responsibility for MYSELF, actually, I kind of expect it of myself. Learned long ago that if you want something done right, you do yourself. Carnival put the notice of the change back to the original itin on their website, and notified their PVP's... so while completing your funpass, it would have been there. If scheduling excursions online, it's there, etc. If Carnival sent ME an email, I would not see it... because it would have gone to spam... just like it would have for thousands of others. Bottom line, the OP stated that he/she is a very savvy traveler... a savvy traveler, checks the itin.

I did not say that he was in no way responsible. What I said was that I don't think his expectations were outlandish. You seem to be missing his main point: he felt that Carnival's response was insulting.

BTW, you can fix the problem of e-mail going to SPAM. Any company that I do business with is added to my list of "allowed" e-mail. I don't want to miss important communication.

I did not say that he was in no way responsible. What I said was that I don't think his expectations were outlandish. You seem to be missing his main point: he felt that Carnival's response was insulting.

BTW, you can fix the problem of e-mail going to SPAM. Any company that I do business with is added to my list of "allowed" e-mail. I don't want to miss important communication.

ROFLMAO... Thanks for the instruction Kitty. I own an IT company, I guess I should have known that :rolleyes: However, Carnival sends out enough email to remain on my blacklist. Any information I need to know from them, I get myself. I never miss important communication, if it is important enough, I'll find out on my own. I don't rely on email to get important information. I guess I've seen too many people that did, and the consequences. There is too much that can happen... if one relies solely on email for "important communication" they are eventually going to end up learning those same lessons.

I don't think their response was insulting... SINCE HE NEVER POSTED THE RESPONSE!!! I don't know how I could come to that conclusion, since I never saw the response.

Nor did I state that I thought the response was insulting. He did. It's his response that is up for discussion: not yours.

Well if that's going to be your ruling... I guess we will all abide. But since you changed the rules halfway, I really think you should call every member of this thread or at least send them a snail mail, so they can be aware of the change :D

I don't think their response was insulting... SINCE HE NEVER POSTED THE RESPONSE!!! I don't know how I could come to that conclusion, since I never saw the response.

I think what I'm gathering is in the OP's "opinion" the response was insulting because they only reinforced their contractual rights........I can see them doing that with our sue happy world and all the people we see coming on CC wanting something free:rolleyes: .....NOT saying Prince is....I think he just wanted a little more personal touch but that's not going to happen here...sorry:( .....but Carnival is already in the stance to shoot out those replies to the sue happy people and Prince just got lumped in with them.......AGAIN....lesson learned.

Well if that's going to be your ruling... I guess we will all abide. But since you changed the rules halfway, I really think you should call every member of this thread or at least send them a snail mail, so they can be aware of the change :D

I'm not sure what your "deal" is. If you want to argue, find someone else. I stated an opinion: MINE. IF you don't agree, that's fine. We can agree to disagree.

Ruling: I don't make rulings. As I said, it was my opinion. If we're not allowed, let me know.

I think what I'm gathering is in the OP's "opinion" the response was insulting because they only reinforced their contractual rights........I can see them doing that with our sue happy world and all the people we see coming on CC wanting something free:rolleyes: .....NOT saying Prince is....I think he just wanted a little more personal touch but that's not going to happen here...sorry:( .....but Carnival is already in the stance to shoot out those replies to the sue happy people and Prince just got lumped in with them.......AGAIN....lesson learned.

You are oh so wise, oh wise one :D

I'm not sure what your "deal" is. If you want to argue, find someone else. I stated an opinion: MINE. IF you don't agree, that's fine. We can agree to disagree.

Ruling: I don't make rulings. As I said, it was my opinion. If we're not allowed, let me know.

I'm sorry... you told me that my response was not up for discussion. You didn't state that was your opinion, it sounded pretty matter of fact. I was responding to that. I'm sorry if it offended you... and yes, we can agree to disagree.

I'm sorry... you told me that my response was not up for discussion. You didn't state that was your opinion, it sounded pretty matter of fact. I was responding to that. I'm sorry if it offended you... and yes, we can agree to disagree.

I'm not offended, just not up to the normal sparring that we (you and I) tend to do when we see things differently (late night probably not thinking quickly enough today).

The reason behind the "response" remark was that the OP is the only one who read the letter. None of us can respond to what we haven't seen. Opinions are all we have.

Wow - as the Original Poster, I never would have expected this much reaction. Let's review the bidding...

1) I recieved an email notification of change #1 which (as a new cruiser) trained me to believe this was the norm.

2) Even though Carnival made the 2nd change (apparently in early February) they had ample time to notify me as above, but didn't. Nobody in 80+ posts has given any explanation of this inconsistency.

3) I lodged a complaint with Carnival with only 2 expectations; to help them improve customer service, and to get an apology/explanation. I never once asked for or expected any monetary or other compenstation.

4) The form letter response I recieved was proof positive that my questions were ignored. I found that insulting. Mabe you wouldn't but I did. Such is life.

5) I have clearly learned for future reference to do more checking and I fully accept that. I'm a reasonable guy and that's certainly a reasonable piece of advice.

6) Regarless of any shortcoming on my part for not checking, I still hold firm to my belief that Carnival was wrong for #1) not notifying me of the 2nd change when they had ample opportunity and a proven ability to send me email notifications. #2) responding to my complaint with a legalistic non-answer.

I appreciate all of the energy this stirred up, and I mostly appreciate the supportive comments from those that sympathize with a first time cruiser. For those whose knee-jerk reaction was that I'm somehow at fault for expecting professional, timely and personalized communication I would respectfully submit that your comments are duly noted and discarded. My bar for customer service is set very high and will remain there.

In order for a company to notify 2500 ppl by snail mail would cost them over $1000. E-mail cost only someones time. (no telling how long it would take to gather all the addresses) But if the info was posted on their website maybe they felt that was sufficient considering more than 2 months notice prior to the sailing. And I'm with GC on this one. Always, always, always check for changes to itinerary before leaving the house. It only takes a minute and could save hours of grief and aggravation. That holds true for planes, trains, automobiles, hotels and cruise ships.

My bar for customer service is set very high and will remain there.

I'm with you on this one. Perhaps if we all expected and demanded the same level of customer service that used to be the norm, we would still get it.

This remark is not intended for Carnival, but for every company with which we do business.

In order for a company to notify 2500 ppl by snail mail would cost them over $1000. E-mail cost only someones time. (no telling how long it would take to gather all the addresses) But if the info was posted on their website maybe they felt that was sufficient considering more than 2 months notice prior to the sailing.

Not to mention it wasn't just one cruise... it was multiple cruises affection, on MANY ships, for a MANY cruises....

I will still maintain, Carnival already stated in one notification that "when possible", apparently it wasn't possible for the 2nd notification.. no further explanation needed. While many complain that customer service has gone by the wayside, so has personal responsibility. Everyone expects someone else to look out for them, take care of them, do the right thing for them... yet we don't expect that of OURSELVES anymore... quite sad. I too expect excellence in customer service... and I've always gotten that from Carnival. I get a great vacation for a great price. If I want more, I will pay more. I would never expect a personal letter for a change in my cruise, or a change in my flight, etc. I take responsibility for myself and I check, as is recommended. I personally don't see this as poor customer service... they announced this change 2 months in advance. Bravo I say.

To the OP it is a shame that you have been flamed by the Carnival supporters on this board. Carnival could have taken a few extra minutes and said that they were sorry that they dropped the ball and should have notified you.

This seems to be all that you asked of them in your communication after your return.

I have read every post in this thread and the vast majority of the posters cannot grasp that it is the attitude displayed by Carnival that is the problem and nothing else.

The people who are flaming you just don't get it, in spite of what they think Carnival is not above reproach and is not always right.

Nobody in 80+ posts has given any explanation of this inconsistency.

Let me help here.....they're NOT consistent because they are soooo big and they lack in that area and have for several years so I don't think it's going to change anytime soon....NOW...I know this, accept it and still love their ships and service on the ships......I kinda sorta overlook their fault because I know how I can offset it....and hopefully this has helped you out for future cruises?

In order for a company to notify 2500 ppl by snail mail would cost them over $1000. E-mail cost only someones time. (no telling how long it would take to gather all the addresses) But if the info was posted on their website maybe they felt that was sufficient considering more than 2 months notice prior to the sailing. And I'm with GC on this one. Always, always, always check for changes to itinerary before leaving the house. It only takes a minute and could save hours of grief and aggravation. That holds true for planes, trains, automobiles, hotels and cruise ships.

Notification would only need to be sent out to the number of cabins, not the number of people, but that does not change your point.

I agree that we should all check our itineraries before we travel, but that does not excuse the company either.

I have a trip to Cozumel planned for July. I have received two e-mails regarding changes in times from the airline. Neither change has been for more than 15 minutes, but I have been notified and appreciate the notification. If a change is made that morning, I don't expect them to notify me, but I do if time permits.

To the OP it is a shame that you have been flamed by the Carnival supporters on this board. Carnival could have taken a few extra minutes and said that they were sorry that they dropped the ball and should have notified you.

This seems to be all that you asked of them in your communication after your return.

I have read every post in this thread and the vast majority of the posters cannot grasp that it is the attitude displayed by Carnival that is the problem and nothing else.

The people who are flaming you just don't get it, in spite of what they think Carnival is not above reproach and is not always right.

Then again there are those of us that would not be offended if Carnival didn't personally write us if there was a change in our itinerary. There are those of us that when we SAY we are a savvy traveler, we mean it... due diligence means something to us. If there are people out there that expect to be notified of every change, they might want to avoid hurricane season... because the changes happen often, and you have to be on your toes and check yourself. The change was made PUBLIC 2 months in advance. How upset can you truly be if you never bothered to verify your vacation/itinerary??? In two months prior??? It amazes me how many people will plunk down a few grand, but not even BOTHER to read their contract. That is what concerns me more and more these days... nobody reads anything. They pay their money, but don't bother to see what they are actually buying. Amazing.

To the OP, I never say your answer... what did your docs say??? Did they also state you were going to Calica??? I wonder why the rest of the people on this cruise aren't up in arms... because if this were a huge issue, believe me, they would be here... there would be hundreds of threads on it.

>>I will still maintain, Carnival already stated in one notification that "when possible", apparently it wasn't possible for the 2nd notification.. no further explanation needed.<<

Please give me one reasonable scenario to explain why in the course of TWO MONTHS it was "not possible" for them to send an email precisely the same way that they had done the first time. Did their email system crash for 2 months? Did Sally the email person get sick? Did they forget to pay their network bills? I'm open for other ideas...

>>I will still maintain, Carnival already stated in one notification that "when possible", apparently it wasn't possible for the 2nd notification.. no further explanation needed.<<

Please give me one reasonable scenario to explain why in the course of TWO MONTHS it was "not possible" for them to send an email precisely the same way that they had done the first time. Did their email system crash for 2 months? Did Sally the email person get sick? Did they forget to pay their network bills? I'm open for other ideas...

I have no idea. What is your reason for not checking your itinerary?? What is your reason for not calling or looking online? I'm sure you have a good one, even though I can't tell you what that is... just as I'm sure they have a good one, I can't tell you what it is. Bottom line is they really don't have to. And I know that is not what you want to hear, but Carnival isn't alone in this... it happens on other lines as well... so since you say you will never cruise Carnival because of this, know that it could happen on any other cruise line... but also know that if this is the very worst thing that happens, you are doing okay... if the rest of your cruise was great, then you did okay!!!!! I know it is disappointing, but hopefully you learned a valuable lesson and when you cruise again, you'll make a quick check. While I agree, an email would have been NICE, it didn't happen. We all wish you would have found this place earlier, or Carnival.com earlier, but that didn't happen either. All you can do is move on... and hopefully start planning another cruise... on whatever line you choose, I hope you have a great time!!!

Well, I am not even sailing till Feb., but the itinerary changed for the Destiny and I too found out on this board. When I phoned Carnival they confirmed it, but said if enough complaints they could go back to Aruba. I have still not been notified "officially" whatever that is, but I do agree, this is a pain when trying to confirm what to do at ports. I suppose I will get something concrete down for Antigua and St. Lucia and then they will go back to Aruba!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sure many people in this world wish that was their only problem:rolleyes: so I guess I am just thankful I'll be cruising!!!!!!!!:p (And thankful I can find things out on this board)--so don't be too hard on the poster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I am not even sailing till Feb., but the itinerary changed for the Destiny and I too found out on this board. When I phoned Carnival they confirmed it, but said if enough complaints they could go back to Aruba. I have still not been notified "officially" whatever that is, but I do agree, this is a pain when trying to confirm what to do at ports. I suppose I will get something concrete down for Antigua and St. Lucia and then they will go back to Aruba!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sure many people in this world wish that was their only problem:rolleyes: so I guess I am just thankful I'll be cruising!!!!!!!!:p (And thankful I can find things out on this board)--so don't be too hard on the poster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, if it weren't for these boards, half the time I would be lost!!! I don't know how anyone survives without them!!!!

Archived