The ship really is full....

MuddyWater

I am posting this for all my fellow port employees wherever you are.

I love my job, but I have to share one of the most interesting points that I encounter at the terminal on a daily basis. This may help save some people from grief they experience before they even board the ship. After the embarkation rep tells you that the ship is full, please leave it at that. I may write a short story on the reasons that I have heard as to why an upgrade is needed...I will share some (if you recognize yourself be ashamed, very ashamed...just kidding).

1.) I have been in the hospital for 4 months and if I have to look at another 4 walls I don't know what I will do.

2.) I have diabetes and I think that entitles me to an upgrade (who, what?)

3.) I know Bob Dickenson personally and he would want you to give me an upgrade (he said this with a straight face and all).

4.) We're on our honeymoon and I deserve an upgrade to stay married to this idiot for 3 days (also serious).

5.) This is the passenger speaking, as he leans in close and whispers, "ok listen, just upgrade us to a balcony and I will give you $300."

These are just a few of the manyyyyyy I hear on a daily basis. Some people cry, some get really angry, and some just flat out beg, but it all boils down to....THE SHIP REALLY REALLY IS FULL, it's not a joke! If it is off season feel free to go to the purser and ask them, but please, don't call us liars or tell us that we don't like you. I am all for asking cause if you don't ask then you'll never know, but just leave it at that. Smooth seas to all!

Isn't it amazing the number of people who will book the cheapest cabin available and then get upset upon arriving at the pier and finding out their cabin assignment. I booked a 4A and didn't get a balcony?:mad:

I never book a guarantee category I wouldn't be happy staying in. Unfortunately, the DH only likes balconies so that's what we book. Upgrades aren't important since I honestly don't care which deck we are on. Every deck has advantages as well as disadvantages. I'd be embarrassed to beg for an upgrade. Heck, I'm just happy to be on the ship! Sorry the Carnival employees have to deal with this.:o

It always amazes me how many folks want an upgrade. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to how they are given but I say book what you will be happy with and then you're not disappointed.

Muddywaters, I bet your stories could fill a book!

Because we need a handicap room we always book a specific room. I never expect an upgrade but have received a credit when prices do down. If I did not need a handicap room I would book a guarantee in the catagory I wanted and be happy with what ever I got. I feel guarantees are a gamble and sometimes your lucky and other times you are not.

That's not always true though. On our Glory cruise and our Conquest cruise there were people in our group with problems in their cabin and they were moved to different cabins even though the "full ship" sign was up. One was even moved from a 6A to a cat 9 cabin.

If the cruise lines would stop playing the stupid game we would not all have to go thru it.What ever happened to the best price guarantee? That turned into the best price guarantee before you got into penalty phase, never mind the deals with in 30 days of sailing. The book early and get the best price is a joke.Why do we have to check to see if our rate dropped? Why don't the TAs do it?Because it lowers the commision!

If the cruise lines would sell the rooms as they are and leave everyone as they are it would stop the crying. I understand the economics of it, move the lowers up so you can sell the lowers again and fill the ship, thus this is the exact reason it should be done on a first book first up basis.

They should auction off the rooms on board after sailing this way it is a level playing field for everyone.

I hate the price structures and I am stuck in it right now. I have an inside guarantee for a winter cruise I booked a year in advance. I found out that my Mastercard points are only valid in a Cat4b and higher so I need to book a cat4b. I tried and this is what happened.The rates are $500 higher for my cabin right now if I were to book it today,but if I booked it today and then wanted to go from the inside gurantee to a 4b the cost would be $58 total for the room...but since I am under the old rates it would cost me $558 to go from an inside to an inside?????

Ok,thats my two cents.

Steve

Kristie~Can you imagine if the ship really had no rooms and your friends had to stay in those cabins? Perfect example really..

Steve, yikes, that really sucks, for lack of a better term. If you have a travel agent then they need to get on that ASAP, otherwise just keep checking and hopefully that will go down. Good luck!

Archived