Confused about Amtrack coach vs. business class

Cruisechick82

Looking up the fare for our sail date for Amtrack from Seattle to Vancouver it lists 2 Coach seats at $68 total with an upgrade to Business Class for an extra $26 total. However when looking at the descriptions for the Dining car is says that First class tickets include a meal, while Coach passengers can dine for an additional charge. Is Business the same as First Class? I dont see First Class listed as an optional upgrade. I thought people last year said Business class included a coupon for so much $ off food? Anyone know what the story is, I'm a little confused.:(

If you have time, order a Chinook Book http://www.chinookbook.net for the Seattle/Puget Sound area. There's a 2 for 1 Amtrack coupon in it which made our fare $34 for the two of us. We didn't opt to upgrade to business class. I couldn't get a straight answer about the food situation and figured we wouldn't eat that much breakfast anyway. The only other difference I saw was a free newspaper and a place to plug in a laptop (laptop is staying at home - this is vacation!)

Wow bdwyer, I wish I had known about the book before I got our tickets! It could have saved us a bundle. The biggest reason I booked the business class seats is due to info I found on this board. The seats are roomier, and you are first on/first off. I found it challenging to jockey for seats when we used the train in DC and am anxious to avoid that. Also, having the outlet for the computer (or DVD player) will be helpful for the kids.

I've never taken the Amtrak that you are referring to, but I have travel Amtrak several times from Richmond, VA to New York City. The first time we took the train, we did not book business class. What a really BIG mistake! We went at Christmas time and retuned with a suitcase full of Christmas presents. When we got to the station to return home, we were unable to sit where we could see our bags (there was no checked baggage on the train). Somewhere between NY and VA, that bag was stolen. The loss was covered by my homeowners insurance, but I really had to scramble to replace all of the presents stolen.

After that experience, I always traveled business class. The seats are wider, the cars are cleaner and in better condition, and I feel a lot safer!

I have no idea about Amtrak in the Seattle area, but that's my experience! I would always suggest paying the extra. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Ditto the recommendation to pay the extra for business class. Not sure how the Seattle-Vancouver route is, but in Southern Calif. we have ended up sitting on the floor with coach tickets!

For clairfication- Coach seats on Amtrak, seattle/Vancouver are ASSIGNED, and you can ask for a location, if available. It pays to be there early and at the begining of the line. Bargain indeed!!!! And coach seats -very very nice.

Archived