Vancouver Info if needed

We are going to Birch Bay on Friday for a few days. We have passports and and NEXUS cards, which lane do you think we should use at the border? Do you know if they take US dollars there or should we take some Canadian cash with us.? Thanks for your help.;)

We are going to Birch Bay on Friday for a few days. We have passports and and NEXUS cards, which lane do you think we should use at the border? Do you know if they take US dollars there or should we take some Canadian cash with us.? Thanks for your help.;)

:D:D:D Just don't use the nexus lane at Point Roberts and yes.

PD - being a little devilish aren't you - perhaps you also didn't notice that it is a full moon on Saturday.

I think the fine folks in Birch Bay would be happy to see any money from tourists but you should remember the advice that we give to others when this question comes up - when in Canada use CDN $$$ when in the US use US$$$.

Have a good relaxing visit to Birch Bay - the temps are suppose to be in the high 80 - low 90's .

Cheers

Dennis

I didn't know that Sat. was the full moon. Last night after dark and with the almost full moon reflecting off the still waters of Georgia Strait (the Salish Sea;) ) one of the cruise ships sailed thru the reflection all lit up. I don't know which of the 3 it was last night but it was really quite beautiful. I was going to turn on my VHF radio and listen to which one as she was as she left Victoria traffic and contacted Comox traffic but I kind of lost interest and didn't bother.

I didn't know that Sat. was the full moon. Last night after dark and with the almost full moon reflecting off the still waters of Georgia Strait (the Salish Sea;) ) one of the cruise ships sailed thru the reflection all lit up. I don't know which of the 3 it was last night but it was really quite beautiful. I was going to turn on my VHF radio and listen to which one as she was as she left Victoria traffic and contacted Comox traffic but I kind of lost interest and didn't bother.

Hey Putt quit making us land locked folks jealous!!!! And be careful what you spend your loonies on down south!!

Finally....CC has sped up enough that I can post. Just don't have the patience to watch that little icon go around in circles a million times, waiting to go to a board. :D We did, indeed, get the Fairmont Waterfront pre and post cruise, so I am delighted. We got our cruise docs last week for our mid Sept. cruise and it was in print !!! YeeHa !!!! I saw a review of some sites to see in Vancouver and one of them was the Harbour Centre Building lookout deck. This might be a good place for pics if it is a clear day...or beautiful pics at night as well ?? What do you think ?? Also, I note it is on W. Hastings. Is that about 3 blocks from F. Waterfront??? gg

Finally....CC has sped up enough that I can post. Just don't have the patience to watch that little icon go around in circles a million times, waiting to go to a board. :D We did, indeed, get the Fairmont Waterfront pre and post cruise, so I am delighted. We got our cruise docs last week for our mid Sept. cruise and it was in print !!! YeeHa !!!! I saw a review of some sites to see in Vancouver and one of them was the Harbour Centre Building lookout deck. This might be a good place for pics if it is a clear day...or beautiful pics at night as well ?? What do you think ?? Also, I note it is on W. Hastings. Is that about 3 blocks from F. Waterfront??? gg

Yes we enjoyed the dinner up in the sky. On a clear day/night everything is great. You go around of course and the view changes as you eat/spend time. You have the location just bear right out the front door around to the second street and go left on Hastings. You can walk down the first street and enter the bottom of the Harbour Centre also. It's not far.

FYI it is not Gourmet dining but it was fine for the occasion.

Glad you got the Fairmont Waterfront, I am sure that you will be real happy with it. Many of the visiting NHL teams stay there when they are in town to play our Canucks.

Yes, the tower at Harbour Centre is worth going up to if it is a clear day otherwise save your money. The restaurant is ok....you are paying for the view.

We will do our best to have good weather for you.

Yes we enjoyed the dinner up in the sky. On a clear day/night everything is great. You go around of course and the view changes as you eat/spend time. You have the location just bear right out the front door around to the second street and go left on Hastings. You can walk down the first street and enter the bottom of the Harbour Centre also. It's not far.

FYI it is not Gourmet dining but it was fine for the occasion.

Thank you so much LCBC from gg in HHET (Hotter than Heck East Texas ) :D . Come on Canada and Alaska temps. gg

Glad you got the Fairmont Waterfront, I am sure that you will be real happy with it. Many of the visiting NHL teams stay there when they are in town to play our Canucks.

Yes, the tower at Harbour Centre is worth going up to if it is a clear day otherwise save your money. The restaurant is ok....you are paying for the view.

We will do our best to have good weather for you.

We love the views from the Waterfront and the staff is just the best we have ever had. Heh....wouldn't that be fun to see some Dallas Stars, but I know they don't start playing til Oct. and I think they do not play the Canucks til January or so. We have only been to one of the Stars games....100 mile drive, heavy traffic, and very pricey tickets.....but oh my....what fun and action. I would like to have season tickets to the Cowboy games and the Stars. Like front row 50 yd. line, and front row, behind the Stars bench. Not asking for much, huh ??:D Thank you for the info on the observation tower. That is close enough to walk and safe enough at night.....right ??? gg

Sorry what is a Dallas Star....Cowboys I think I have heard of?:rolleyes: VancouverCanucks.jpg

Yes the Harbour Centre is safe to walk to from the FW. Having been in Vancouver before I am certain that you are aware that we have a lot of "street people" but if you are approached just a polite but firm "NO" will send them on their way. Here is the tower's link if you don't already have it.

www.vancouverlookout.com

Sorry what is a Dallas Star....Cowboys I think I have heard of?:rolleyes: VancouverCanucks.jpg

You know, Putt....."the STARS at night, are big and bright, (clap, clap, clap, clap) deep in the heart of Texas." :D

Yes the Harbour Centre is safe to walk to from the FW. Having been in Vancouver before I am certain that you are aware that we have a lot of "street people" but if you are approached just a polite but firm "NO" will send them on their way. Here is the tower's link if you don't already have it.

Thanks for the advice re: the walk to Harbour Centre and the web site. We NOW understand about the polite, but firm "NO" re: street folks. Last year, my husband and I were walking "somewhere" in the area of the Canadian Mounties store (sorry, do not recal the name). This street guy just kept following us and wanting money and trying to make us feel bad. Suddenly, a guy in a business suit, walked up, and began to have a conversation with us, asking us if we needed directions, etc. The street guy immediately left. The Canadian Angel, told us to not make eye contact with these folks and that if we noticed, these street people can spot a tourist a long ways off. Thank you for your advice, Putt. I know all large cities have a lot of homeless. We are a bit sheltered re: this in our city of 100,000. But, OMG,,,,,,,,we love Vancouver. gg

I no longer live in the city but up the coast about an hour and a half after you pass under the Lions Gate bridge, our little seaside burg does not have any homeless folk just the occasional stoned American draft dodger left over from the Vietnam War as they bought all of the waterfront up and are multi-millionaiers and now sit around write poetry, paint and watch the cruise ships sail by.;)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=vancouver,bc&daddr=sechelt,bc&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=29.565544,-116.022234&sspn=0.010937,0.021307&ie=UTF8&ll=49.395781,-123.473282&spn=1.047495,2.727356&t=h&z=9

Will be staying at the Inn At Westminster Quay pre-cruise. Ship departs on a Sunday. There is a Skytrain station across the street. Can we bring our luggage on the Skytrain (probably one large bag on wheels per person)? I hate riding in taxis.

Yes you can - they allow bikes on most trains and strollers and wheel chairs + you will be traveling on a Sunday when there is less commuter traffic on the line.

Also because it is a Sunday there is only one zone fare required $2.50 per person.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Will be staying at the Inn At Westminster Quay pre-cruise. Ship departs on a Sunday. There is a Skytrain station across the street. Can we bring our luggage on the Skytrain (probably one large bag on wheels per person)? I hate riding in taxis.

It depends which cruise line you're on. If you're on a Carnival Corp ship (Carnival/Princess/Holland America/Regent), you'll be departing from Canada Place. Skytrain is definately the way to go; All of the stations are wheelchair (and hence luggage) accessible, and on a Sunday it's all one zone $2.50.

When you arrive at Waterfront, exit the train to the left, go up the escalator, immediately turn right, so up a 2nd escalator and the cruise ships are straight ahead maybe 100m (110 yards). There are elevators, but they exit the other side of the station and will add a 2 block walk, easier to drag your suitcase on the escalator

If you're going on an RCCL (Royal Caribbean/Celebrity) ship, you'll need to get off at "MAIN STREET" station, cross the street and grab a cab to reach Ballantyne Pier. Ballantyne is not easily reached by public transport as it's in the middle of a container port.

Check the calendar here to confirm what dock you'll be leaving from;

http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/schedule/index.php

Is this doable with luggage? YES. We've done it for the last two cruises we've taken out of Vancouver.

Is it safe? Yep, I ride Skytrain to work every day (from one station down from New West station).

Is it crowded? It can be, weekdays from 6:30-9:00 and 3:30-6:00, other times, no.

How much does it cost? $2.50/ea (normally it would be 3.75 for 2 zones, but evenings/weekends it's all one zone)

How do I buy a ticket? There are ticket machines at the station, they take cash, coin, debit and credit cards.

How long does it take? less than 30 minutes from New West station (approx)

Hey PD - interesting story on the front page of today's Vancouver Sun about the activities of some of the people you are referring to in your last post.

Didn't see the ariticle to which you are referring as I was down in America for the weekend but I think I know what you are talking about. Heaven's that is the cash crop up here on the Coast and she is a new judge up here and is rapidily being becoming known as "the hanging judge" so good on her.

Putterdude what is your opinion of the Meridian 910 beach. I am looking at that hotel ot the Plaza 500. Thanks for your input.

It is a great location and will have everything thing that the Plaza 500 doesn't have. I am not that familiar with the hotel but it is smack in the middle of Ut's backyard so I am sure that he will respond to your post. The other hotels to consider in the area would be the Best Western-Downtown on Drake St., the Hyatt Regency on Burrard St. just north of Georgia St., or perhaps the Le Soleil on Hornby St., all of these should be had at about $200 but not for suites.

Re the Meridian 910 Beach - it is really an apartment style hotel - as PD says the location is excellent - 1/2 block to the Granville Island ferries - three blocks to either the Davie or Granville St shopping and eating areas and 1.5 blocks from my condo.

The Plaza 500 is on the other side of the water and the area around that hotel is a massive construction zone as we continue to work on our new rapid transit line to the airport.

You are basically on our False Creek seawalk which you can follow west towards English Bay and Stanley Park or east towards Yaletown and Science world - all those construction cranes you see across the water is our 2010 Winter Olympics Athlete's village.

There is also a community shuttle bus that you can catch across the street that will take you either to the downtown shopping area or Yaletown if walking is a challenge.

Hope this helps and hope you enjoy your visit to our fair city.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Putterdude! I just got an e-mail from the Vancouver aquarium that there is a full road closer on September 1st till 10am due to a triatholon. We have a 11am reservation for a Sea Otter tour, what is the best way to get to the aquarium? Thanks in advance!

Hi Putterdude! I just got an e-mail from the Vancouver aquarium that there is a full road closer on September 1st till 10am due to a triatholon. We have a 11am reservation for a Sea Otter tour, what is the best way to get to the aquarium? Thanks in advance!

You can take the #19 bus along Pender St. or W. Georgia St., get off at the entrance to Stanley Park (ask the operator when to get off) and walk, you just a follow the signs and it is only a few minutes walk on level ground. Or if you are staying at a downtown hotel you may even care to walk from your hotel, it is about a 20 min walk from most hotels.

Lovey and I like to stay at the Westin Bayshore for the location. It is perfect for the seawall walk and the park.

You are quite right, you can't beat it for it's location relative to the park, it's views out over Coal Harbour and it is just a wonderful hotel in the Weston style of things.:)