Vancouver Info if needed

Mr Spit,

The PNE was once a great fair but due do politics it has been dramatically downscaled in recent years....so no it is not the "cool Canadian" thing to do anymore. I would be inclined to spend my time in Stanley Park, Granville Is., the Capilano Suspension Bridge, the Grouse Mtn. Skyride, Gastown and things like that.

Bob;

What you are proposing is doable but once you vary from the YVR to downtown routing you are outside of the contracted amount that the limo company has with YVR and sometimes the revised fare can be big. I would be inclinded just to take a cab from the La Quinta to the pier at a cost of about $35 and have your son take a cab from Pacific Palisades to the pier at a cost of about $10....I think you will be money ahead.:)

Thanks, Putterdude (I have to tell you that it was quite a long time after I first posted on this board and you were so gracious in your replies that I realized that your name referred to the fact that you loved golf, not that your were a computer nut - took a long time before I linked your avatar to your name - it must be obvious that I have never played golf in my 70 years).

I dropped the Limo company an email just to see what they might reply. Will let everyone know what I hear

In the meantime, I talked to the front desk a La Quinta and they said that they have a private shuttle company that services cruise passengers to the piers for $13 per person.

Just as a side note, my wife and I are celebrating our 47th wedding anniversary this evening. :):):):):)

Well congratulations on your 47th, DW and I are limping towards our 39th so you are way ahead of us.

Love to hear what the limo company has to say but that $13 dollar rate is going to be extremely hard to beat.

Yes, I am a golfer, I live on a golf course in AZ during the winter for about 5 months and then return here to the Vancouver area for 7 months where I am a member of a local club. I have been known to play more than 200 games in the course of a year. I am not good at it but just play a lot.

You will pass where I live on the starboard side of the ship about an hour after you pass under the Lions Gate bridge....you will know it is me as I will be standing by the grill with a glass in my hand raised in your honour.

• 2 weeks later...
Having a brain cramp and have a quick question.......can we pay for cab fare with US currency or do we need CAD?

CAD, USD or credit cards. The only thing they might balk at is really large USD bills (50s, 100s), and frankly you'd get your change in CDN so you probably wouldn't want to do that anyway.

CAD, USD or credit cards. The only thing they might balk at is really large USD bills (50s, 100s), and frankly you'd get your change in CDN so you probably wouldn't want to do that anyway.

Thanks so much....couldn't remember for sure; will keep it to smaller bills

Any idea what the going cab rate is from YVR to Canada Place? I don't think we want to try the new transit systems due to the amount of luggage we'll have.

Any idea what the going cab rate is from YVR to Canada Place? I don't think we want to try the new transit systems due to the amount of luggage we'll have.

Depending on time of day, day of week, and traffic - approx. $30 incl. tip.

OR you could take the set rate limo for $39.

On my last trip this spring the taxi fare was closer to $35 plus tip.

The limo is High End Limo and no you don't want to make a reservation as then they get to charge whatever they wish. The contract rate with YVR is $39 + 5% tax and of course a tip.

• 4 months later...

Urban trekker,

We are planning to take a coastal Princess cruise from YVR in Sept 2010 and need info on the connections from Translink stations to most downtown hotels. Do you have to sleph luggage on our own? Has anyone used the new service, given the airporter bus has closed down?

We were looking into Hampton Inn but read on Trip Advisor that it is directly across from the Stadium which attracts large crowds.

From where do most cruise ships sail? Close to what street?

Thanks for your help.

Ed & Jean

We are planning to take a coastal Princess cruise from YVR in Sept 2010 and need info on the connections from Translink stations to most downtown hotels. Do you have to sleph luggage on our own? Has anyone used the new service, given the airporter bus has closed down?

We were looking into Hampton Inn but read on Trip Advisor that it is directly across from the Stadium which attracts large crowds.

From where do most cruise ships sail? Close to what street?

Thanks for your help.

Ed & Jean

Yes, you have to bring your own luggage, but if you can roll it through and airport, you'll be fine. All of the stations have elevators, so you dont have to drag up/down stairs

In 2010 (as soon as the Olympics end in March) BC Place Stadium will be under construction with a conversion from a dome to a retractable roof. There will be no crowds until the Grey Cup in Nov 2011..

Most (not all) ccruise ships leave from Canada Place pier in the downtown core. Cordova & Howe approx. 2010's schedule has not been published by the port authority yet, but last year Princess operated out of Canada Place

Hopefullythis map will explain all: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.235086,-123.135452&spn=0.136971,0.363579&z=12

The Canada Line that runs from the airport to Vancouver has cars that have been specifically designed for travellers with luggage...so you will have no trouble at all. The other lines will also accomodate luggage but just not with the same ease as the Canada Line.

Scottbee-

Thanks for your prompt answer. We have no trouble with taking our luggage thru the airport.;) Read that the Translink trains have plenty of room for luggage onboard, too.

Ed & Jean

Here's an album of photos I took of the new line. You'll see there's quite a lot of room on the trains for your luggage.

http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation#

Edited by scottbee

Scottbee -

The slide show of the Translink train from YVR is very helpful. We could not tell from the picture of the ticket machine, does it show you which stations are in which zones? Thanks.:)

There's a big map by the ticket machines. Right now the airport is in zone 2, downtown is zone 1, so a two zone ticket does it ($3.75). After the Olympics, they're talking about an add-fare, or moving the airport to zone three, so it might go up from $3.75 to $5.00. Also, those are weekday-day prices; evenings and weekends, it's all one zone ($2.50)

http://www.translink.ca/~/media/Images/content/fares_and_passes/fare_zone_map/ctlhz_metro_vancouver_fare_zone_map.ashx

Either way, it will be clearly marked

There's a big map by the ticket machines. Right now the airport is in zone 2, downtown is zone 1, so a two zone ticket does it ($3.75). After the Olympics, they're talking about an add-fare, or moving the airport to zone three, so it might go up from $3.75 to $5.00. Also, those are weekday-day prices; evenings and weekends, it's all one zone ($2.50)

http://www.translink.ca/~/media/Images/content/fares_and_passes/fare_zone_map/ctlhz_metro_vancouver_fare_zone_map.ashx

Either way, it will be clearly marked

Purchase a Day Pass for unlimited travel and no hassle/no worry on all of the Vancouver public transit, which also includes the superb Sea-bus which shuttles from Waterfront Station and gives you a great view of the Vancouver skyline from the harbour.

Purchase a Day Pass for unlimited travel and no hassle/no worry on all of the Vancouver public transit, which also includes the superb Sea-bus which shuttles from Waterfront Station and gives you a great view of the Vancouver skyline from the harbour.

All depends what you need. A day pass is a good deal for weekday, especially if you're travelling multi zone, but on the weekend, each onezone ticket (90 mins, $2.50) is good in all three zones, and unless you have a lot of journeys to make, the single tickets are a better deal. I personally think the best deal is the book of 10 tickets which can be had for $19/28.50/38 (1/2/3 zone) - available almost anywhere (7-11, newsstands etc).