Vancouver Info if needed

Thanks for all the answers to my questions! I think we have decided it would be best if we stay by the airport. It's cheaper, and we can get the hotel shuttle to our hotel. The day our cruise departs we can take a shuttle service for $15.00 ea. to the port. Post cruise we will take the sightseeing tour with airport drop off booked through Celebrity. We have lots of OBC so it won't cost us anything!

Again, thanks for all your responses!!:D

Moose12345, good plan .... if it works for you then its a good plan. I don't know how X handles unused OBCs, normally we burn through outs but on our last cruise we had about $125 left over and on our statement they indicated that the unused balance would be credited to a BofA credit card we use. So I was busy watching the credit card online when a cheque from a 3rd party arrived in the mail....it was a little like getting money for old rope.:)

In any event about an hour after you sail under the Lions Gate Bridge look to starboard and you will likely see me waiving to you.

Thanks for all the answers to my questions! I think we have decided it would be best if we stay by the airport. It's cheaper, and we can get the hotel shuttle to our hotel. The day our cruise departs we can take a shuttle service for $15.00 ea. to the port. Post cruise we will take the sightseeing tour with airport drop off booked through Celebrity. We have lots of OBC so it won't cost us anything!

Again, thanks for all your responses!!:D

Thoughts...

• My fav Airport/Richmond hotel is the Raddision Airport. Free parking for rental car, lots of restaurants nearby (Asian), 3 adjacent grocery stores and the subway station is across the street for ultimate convenience. Forget the $15 shuttle... just $35 for the cab carload is more convenient, especially if you don't need to double back to the airport.
    https://www.expedia.ca/Vancouver-Hotels-Radisson-Hotel-Vancouver-Airport.h14039.Hotel-Information
  • Also compare rates for hotels a few blocks from the cruise terminal. Delta Suites, Marriots, and Blue Horizon are popular budget options with covenient access to amenities.

Edited by xlxo

• 3 weeks later...

Last night I got through every thread of this post!! Lots of great information but I have a few questions!

We will arrive on Wed., May 11, 16 at 11:00 a.m.....going from airport to L'Hermitage Hotel (as of right now if I don't change my mind!!) We were thinking of going to Granville Island and just doing that before relaxing in the evening because of a long day of traveling.....at this time of year will they be open till 7 pm?

Thurs.,...we would like to head out to Gastown in the morning, then hit Vancouver lookout and Fly Over Canada. Have some lunch then go to Stanley Park for the afternoon and do the park trolley. In the evening find a place for dinner. Good Plan????(Can we walk from our hotel to start out in Gastown?)

Fri.......We would like to go to Capilano Bridge and Grouse Mt. At this time of year will the Gondola ride be open??? (If Thurs. seems a better day weather wise we will switch days) Just wondering if things will be running on the Mt. that early in season to go there? We will go to Canada Place for free shuttle...do you know what time they begin?

Last question for now.....Where is LaCasa Gelato located at????

Thank you very much and sorry to bombard with all these questions....everyone is wonderful to help us out.

Last night I got through every thread of this post!! Lots of great information but I have a few questions!

We will arrive on Wed., May 11, 16 at 11:00 a.m.....going from airport to L'Hermitage Hotel (as of right now if I don't change my mind!!) We were thinking of going to Granville Island and just doing that before relaxing in the evening because of a long day of traveling.....at this time of year will they be open till 7 pm? Yes, most of the shops are open until 7 pm with the restaurants and bars staying open later.

Thurs.,...we would like to head out to Gastown in the morning, then hit Vancouver lookout and Fly Over Canada. Have some lunch then go to Stanley Park for the afternoon and do the park trolley. In the evening find a place for dinner. Good Plan????(Can we walk from our hotel to start out in Gastown?) Yes, Gastown from l'Hermitage is very walkable. However, I would check with Vancouver Trolley people closer to your arrival and to be sure they are operating in Stanley Park

Fri.......We would like to go to Capilano Bridge and Grouse Mt. At this time of year will the Gondola ride be open??? (If Thurs. seems a better day weather wise we will switch days) Just wondering if things will be running on the Mt. that early in season to go there? We will go to Canada Place for free shuttle...do you know what time they begin? Yes, the Grouse Mtn. Skyride will be operating but depending on the winter we have it could be a bit muddy up there in early May. The CSB shuttle should begin running at 0830 in May.

Last question for now.....Where is LaCasa Gelato located at????

Thank you very much and sorry to bombard with all these questions....everyone is wonderful to help us out.

LaCasa operates from a rather obscure location on the east side of the city at 1033 Venables which even from Gastown is about a 3 km or 35/40 min walk. They have terrific product but it a long walk thru a pretty seedy and/or industrial area.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/1033+Venables+St,+Vancouver,+BC+V6A+3R9/Water+St,+Vancouver,+BC+V6B+1B8/@49.2804999,-123.1307498,13z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x5486716b0deff5ef:0xb89e227d8ab86f89!2m2!1d-123.0816371!2d49.2770652!1m5!1m1!1s0x54867179d7aebc53:0x1f28b111ed79bb5a!2m2!1d-123.1098396!2d49.2845118!3e2

Any other gelato places closer???? Thank You!

Thanks for the google map too.....I will have to use that!!

There are a ton of gelato shops in downtown Vancouver but I don't consider myself an expert on the topic of gelato. I am kind of a Garfield, "I've never met a gelato I didn't like".:D I am certain that someone will be along with a list of some good licks.

Any other gelato places closer???? Thank You!

Thanks for the google map too.....I will have to use that!!

While Bella wins the awards.... La Casa has the flavors (218). I recommend going to Bella's for one night and La Casa the 2nd. 30 minute walk or a short cab/bus ride away. La Casa is open until 11pm on some nights!

http://www.marthastewart.com/909325/visiting-la-casa-gelato-and-tasting-flavors#909325

Thank you for the Gelato suggestions!! My DH just wants some good old peanut butter gelato! We saw LaCasa on tv and I figured with 218 flavors they would have peanut butter!

Do you know when the trolleys in Stanley Park started this year, or is it different every year? Their website says to check back for 2016 schedules.

I am more excited about touring Vancouver than our Alaskan cruise! Thank you for everything!!!

Thank you for the Gelato suggestions!! My DH just wants some good old peanut butter gelato! We saw LaCasa on tv and I figured with 218 flavors they would have peanut butter!

Do you know when the trolleys in Stanley Park started this year, or is it different every year? Their website says to check back for 2016 schedules.

I am more excited about touring Vancouver than our Alaskan cruise! Thank you for everything!!!

That's the spirit...

I think La Casa rotates some flavours.... I think I saw peanut butter as one of the flavours was there. I even saw bacon.... bacon peanut butter? You might want to contact them to confirm prior to your trip....

http://www.lacasagelato.com/contact.htm

I think the trolleys operate year round... but adjust schedules to seasonal demand. Give them a call for more detailed information...

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/tours/hop-on-hop-off

The Park Shuttle trolley ran from June 13th to September 13th this year. I've seen it open as late as July, but never any earlier than mid-June so you will definitely need an alternative plan.

The regular trolley does have several stops around the park without having to change vehicles, and the others HOHO companies now offer a 'Park Loop' to compete directly - this does involve changing to a different bus though, so another potential bottleneck for reboarding on busy days (although in May you should be OK, much quieter month for tourism than the height of summer).

As to the travesty of peanut butter in gelato:eek: - well, taste is subjective so I hope hubs finds it but it's not a flavour I've ever looked for... An extra possibility with a wide selection is Marios/Amato on 1st Ave just outside the Athletes Village - they are a very large supplier to wholesale who also sell product directly through their cafe, and I know they've made some VERY odd flavours in the past (like Stilton for Prince Chuck) so peanut butter is well within the realms of possibility. Pistachio and Hazelnut are common so he can definitely get a nut fix - and actual nuts, what with peanuts actually being misnamed legumes...

As suggested by the previous poster Vancouver Trolley normally operates in Stanley Park from mid-June to mid-September, however there was one year, I think it was 2014, it stopped very early in the summer. I am not sure why the inconsistency because they are an extremely reliable company. You may care to contact them in late March or early April to find out what their start date is in 2016. Failing that, you will find that most of the very popular attractions in the park on the east side of the park and quite walkable. If you are a little more adventurous you may care to rent bikes and cycle through the park which is a very popular way to see the park. There are 6 or more (I keep meaning to count them someday) bike rental companies in the Georgia/Denman Sts area which is just a couple of blocks from the park.

It is the Mario's gelato product that I am most familiar with because to their wholesale network but I am not sure that they have peanut butter gelato.

We are taking a Alaskan cruise departing Vancouver on 5/5 and will arrive in Vancouver a few days earlier. We will have a rental car and are planning to drive to Whistler Village. How much time should we plan for this trip? Half day or full day? Thanks.

We are taking a Alaskan cruise departing Vancouver on 5/5 and will arrive in Vancouver a few days earlier. We will have a rental car and are planning to drive to Whistler Village. How much time should we plan for this trip? Half day or full day? Thanks.

From downtown Vancouver plan that it is a full 2 hours in either direction and there are places that you may care to pull off and enjoy the scenery. There is a lot to see and do in Whistler so I would be planning on a full day.

From downtown Vancouver plan that it is a full 2 hours in either direction and there are places that you may care to pull off and enjoy the scenery. There is a lot to see and do in Whistler so I would be planning on a full day.

Thanks, that's just what I needed to know. We will plan on a full day. Will probably have more questions before May:)

Another vote for full day... for some... may be two days with all the distractions.

90 minutes on Google Maps one way from the cruise terminal.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Canada+Place,+999+Canada+Place,+Vancouver,+BC+V6C+3T4/Whistler+Village+Gondola,+Skiers+Plaza,+Squamish-Lillooet,+BC/@49.6996797,-123.6745472,9z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x5486719d24e2e021:0xb7057fe085c86109!2m2!1d-123.1111209!2d49.2888248!1m5!1m1!1s0x5487234b79cfe7dd:0x420ac013d874c617!2m2!1d-122.954338!2d50.1127627

Highway distractions...

While I realize you have a car... here's what the tour groups think are important if you want to shadow their itinery....

http://vancouvertours.com/tour/whistler-tour/

While I'm in total agreement that a full day is a necessity for even seeing the bare minimum of sights on the Sea to Sky route up to Whistler, I'd also encourage a Plan B based on weather. Firstly because, while Whistler advertises as a four season destination now early May is a crapshoot - May is the second-rainiest month after October; likely to be muddy around the elevations of the village; skiing may still be available on certain slopes or might be totally shut down (statistically there is zero snow on the ground by the end of April at Village elevation, but it continues to snow a little higher up) but the biking trails may not be open yet. Depending what you're here to do, this might have zero to significant impact on your plans.

Secondly, while you will be arriving after the mandatory Winter Tire period ends (so you won't be breaking the law driving up in a rental with All Season tires on) early May still has a chance of around- or below-freezing temps on parts of the road, especially if you set off early in the morning. An unfamiliar road with lots of corners, scenic views, wildlife (especially problematic when idiots stop at the side of the road on a corner to get photos of bears), few opportunities to overtake safely, occasional banks of fog and if you get unlucky even black ice can make for very hairy driving conditions. I'd check road conditions and weather reports for Whistler and Garibaldi week or so in advance of coming - the odds are slim that there will be really poor weather, but you know yourself best in terms of your driving experience in potentially-dubious conditions.

It's not all weather-dependent though, there are indoor things to do in Whistler - like the excellent Squamish Lil'wat Cultural Centre (eat lunch in the cafe, it's good) - and en route the Britannia Mining Museum is another excellent attraction with indoor things to see. The actual drive itself is one of the highlights - as long as you can see the scenery of course - and offers several scenic view points to stop at and enjoy the views, plus a gondola ride up the mountain and several waterfalls (this one is right off the highway, very easily accessed).

Edit - sorry for redundantly duplicating some of your info xlxo, didn't see your reply when I started typing.

Edited by martincath

Thank you XLXO & Martincath for all the very useful information. We will read through everything and pick out the highlights. We will definitely watch the weather reports before the trip to Whistler. We are from S Fla. and have no desire to drive on icy roads:eek:.

Sorry but to go back to Vancouver questions....since the Stanley Trolley probably won't be going in May....we thought we would still walk to Gastown, do the lookout, and Fly over Canada. Then have lunch...

What would you recommend for lunch in the area? Just sandwich, etc???

Then we can catch the HoHo trolley at Canada Place correct? We will just ride on that for the afternoon and see some of Stanley Park and other attractions.

I also read somewhere that a free shuttle to Capilano bridge is at Library Center. Is this correct? Then it said at the bridge catch public bus #236 to Grouse Mtn. If this info is correct then do we have to go back to bridge to pick up the shuttle to get back or is there something we can catch from Grouse Mtn. Sorry I know this has been answered a thousand times, but I have written so many notes and trying to organize all my information! (This will be on our 2nd day and this is all we are planning)

Thank you so much again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is highly unlikely that the Vancouver Trolley HOHO will be operating in Stanley Park in early May but you could check with them in April. There are any number of eateries where you can grab a light lunch in the Gastown area but one would be Steamworks just east of Waterfront Station.

The regular Vancouver Trolley can be caught at Canada Place or any of its other stops and it does make several stops in Stanley Park. However, it does make its last stop at about 4:30 pm so it may not be the best plan for an afternoon unless you just wish to ride around and not get off much.

You can catch the shuttle to the CSB at any of its stops. The #236 bus will take you to the Grouse Mtn Sky ride. For you return to the city you may care to take the #236 bus right down to Lonsdale Quay and transfer to the SeaBus that will take you to Waterfront Station or you can take it down to the CSB and take their shuttle back into the city. The Mountain does offer a shuttle but it doesn't begin operation until late in May.

http://www.capbridge.com/visit/shuttle-service/

Sorry but to go back to Vancouver questions....since the Stanley Trolley probably won't be going in May....we thought we would still walk to Gastown, do the lookout, and Fly over Canada. Then have lunch...

What would you recommend for lunch in the area? Just sandwich, etc???

Then we can catch the HoHo trolley at Canada Place correct? We will just ride on that for the afternoon and see some of Stanley Park and other attractions.

I also read somewhere that a free shuttle to Capilano bridge is at Library Center. Is this correct? Then it said at the bridge catch public bus #236 to Grouse Mtn. If this info is correct then do we have to go back to bridge to pick up the shuttle to get back or is there something we can catch from Grouse Mtn. Sorry I know this has been answered a thousand times, but I have written so many notes and trying to organize all my information! (This will be on our 2nd day and this is all we are planning)

Thank you so much again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd also agree that HOHO is better started in the morning - especially since it has some Gastown stops, so you can avoid the walk merely by changing the order in which you visit things (all the HOHOs run counter-clockwise). If you want a really, really, really good sandwich in Gastown try Meat & Bread.

Yes, the bus between Cap & Grouse is correct info - but the starting location for the shuttle isn't, it starts at Canada Place (the multiple routes are also seasonal, so check their map again closer to your trip - probably only one of the red/blue routes will be in operation in May).

The HOHO Trolley only starts at the library unofficially (as in they stage here which isn't the official first stop, but they will let you get on - this neatly avoids the throng of cruisers all piling on at Canada Place and for the HOHO people avoids issues with time enforcement for buses waiting at Canada Place). Confusion arises because the trolley people run the Stanley Park Shuttle and have also run the shuttle to Cap, so people sometimes use Trolley and HOHO and shuttle interchangeably to mean the same thing or different things!

Since you will probably need to take transit anyway to visit both sites PDs suggestion of using transit to get back is a good one - you'll get a different view coming back via the Seabus.

I thought perhaps I had erred so I just got off the with the Capilano Suspension Bridge and the Blue Line for the shuttle does operate from May through October and it DOES have a stop at Library Square. It may be an idea to double check with them in late April in case the their marketing department has a change of mind.

http://www.capbridge.com/visit/shuttle-service/

Edited by Putterdude

The Cap shuttle blue route has been getting earlier each year - 17th May 2013 (which was the first and only year the route began at the library), 9th May 2014 and now 1st May 2015 - so indeed it seems there will be a good chance of the library pickup being available next year for a May 11th stay (sorry, I was thinking of the other recent poster who was arriving several days early before a May 5th cruise...)

From L'Hermitage the library is of course the most convenient pickup point for you Sunlover, although it is first-come first-served so if all the seats are filled at the two stops before this one you won't get on... might be worth the extra walk to the start of the line to maximise your chance of a seat.

Thank you....could one of you be our tour guide for 2 days!!!:D

So the first stop for the Cap. would be????? We will definitely just walk there to get a seat!! Thank you.

I think we will just do the HoHo trolley the first day and start in the morning. Especially since the lookout and Fly Over Canada have later closing times.

Thank you again. I am sure I will have more questions closer to the trip!