Vancouver Info if needed

Shoppie or others Vancouver people,

do you recommend a bike rental near the Westin Bayshore ?

Peter

Here are a couple:

Bayshore Bike Rentals

and

Spokes Bike Rentals. This is the tourism Vancouver link with information for Spokes. The home page for Spokes is "under construction" so I didn't give you a direct link. However, there is contact info, including email address so I'm sure you can get rates, etc. from them that way.

Both are very close to the Westin Bayshore. There are also others in the general vicinity (at the foot of Denman Street and Georgia) near the entrance to Stanley Park.

Here are a couple:

Bayshore Bike Rentals

and

Spokes Bike Rentals. This is the tourism Vancouver link with information for Spokes. The home page for Spokes is "under construction" so I didn't give you a direct link. However, there is contact info, including email address so I'm sure you can get rates, etc. from them that way.

Both are very close to the Westin Bayshore. There are also others in the general vicinity (at the foot of Denman Street and Georgia) near the entrance to Stanley Park.

Thank you very much for the information.

We look forward to bike in Vancouver next week, hopefully the wheather will be fine!

Peter

Hi there, I have been reading this post and thank you very much for your time and willingness to help us all.

I just finalized our Alaska cruise on Serenade Sept 10-17. Vancouver to Vancouver.

We have booked The Fairmont Waterside because we recently stayed at the Fairmont in San Fran and loved it. Are we putting ourselves too far "out" to do the city tours, etc. I mean will we have to cab it everywhere. ( I am not even sure where we are going for the 2 days we are going to be there.) I keep seeing PAn PAcific mentioned here. Is it that much better than The Fairmont?

I will have more questions later, but I need to do some research first before I ask the same ones other have asked.

Thank you!

Hi there, I have been reading this post and thank you very much for your time and willingness to help us all.

I just finalized our Alaska cruise on Serenade Sept 10-17. Vancouver to Vancouver.

We have booked The Fairmont Waterside because we recently stayed at the Fairmont in San Fran and loved it. Are we putting ourselves too far "out" to do the city tours, etc. I mean will we have to cab it everywhere. ( I am not even sure where we are going for the 2 days we are going to be there.) I keep seeing PAn PAcific mentioned here. Is it that much better than The Fairmont?

I will have more questions later, but I need to do some research first before I ask the same ones other have asked.

Thank you!

It appears Shoppie hasn't posted since May 17 and hasn't been on the CC boards since May 24th . . . so hope you don't mind if I answer.

The Fairmont Waterfront is directly across the street from the Pan Pacific hotel and Canada Place (the cruise ship pier for all the major cruiselines except RCI - sorry).

The Fairmont is an excellent hotel. The major difference with the Pan Pacific is that you do not have the direct over the water views that the Pan P has. If you do use the Fairmont, request an upper floor with water/mountain views.

Dining and shopping are all within walking distance. If you enjoy walking, I'd recommend walking to Stanley Park along the seawall. If you want to cover the major sights in the most economical amount of time, the hop on/hop off Vancouver Trolley that Shoppie recommended in her earlier post is a good option. There is a trolley stop right across the street from the Fairmont (next to the Pan Pacific).

However, you will need to take a taxi to/from Ballantyne Pier where the Serenade docks.

ell

Hi Shoppie. Thanks for your willingness to answer our questions. We will be renting a car in Seattle and driving to Vancouver before boarding the ship. I know I will have to fill up the gas tank on the rental car before I turn it in. Do I need to get some CA $ to use? Or can I use my American credit card at a gas station? Thanks!!

HI...

Will be in BC in just a few days..(11):) I am soo excieted!! we will be renting a car for the day , and ,I just read something about a "Non-Resident Interprovince Vehicle Liability Insurance Card"...are any of you fimaliar wiht this? Is this only if I am driving (my own car) across the boarder, or across Canada? Is this instead of the Insurance I will purchace from the rental car company? Or is the Insruance Liabiality from the Rental Car company all I will need?

Im so confused:confused: and I dont want to break any laws!:eek:

Also, we are staying in NorthVancouver.. (Confort Inn)....is this area ok?

Thanks for any info.:cool:

Parrotthead, the Non-resident's Interprovince Vehicle Liability Insurance Card is for driving your own car in Canada. You can only obtain it from your own insurance company in the US. It's basically to prove you have sufficient coverage if you get in an accident (vehicle insurance is mandatory here). If you rent, you'll purchase insurance through the rental car company.

If you are staying at the Comfort Inn on Capilano Road, it is quite close to the Lion's Gate Bridge which you will need to cross to get into downtown Vancouver. You should keep an eye on the time of day you want to get across the bridge - as rush hour makes the bridge somewhat of a parking lot. ;)

It'll be an easy drive to get to Grouse Mountain or Capilano Suspension bridge, and Stanley Park is just across the birdge. Otherwise, it's a safe area, but not much else in the immediate vicinity.

Thanks ell,( this is one of the most helpful threads on this board!!): That was what I was hoping you'd say about the insurance card...;) (Insurance is mandortory here too, so I can relate...)

Yes you have the correct hotel we are at...now we will be arriving on a Saturday early afternoon...are the rush hours 'typical Monday -Friday' or do I need to take this in to consideration on the weekend too? We have to returnt eh rent car on Sunday to a place on W. Gerogia St. adn then make our way to Ballantyne Pier...I guess a taxi is the best bet for that? What is the price range we should expect? If you can guess?

I have Sophies Cosmic on my list for breakfest on Sunday...still trying to decide about Dinner Saturday...donno, was thinking about Elbow Room, not sure I will be up for it after a long flight tho...still researching that one..have you heard of a place called (something like) the Maple Cafe or Maple Leaf Cafe??..I found it online one time and cant find the website again:confused: ...I also have Mums gelito on my list...

I am sooo ready!

Parrotthead, rush hours are typically Mon - Friday, so you should be okay on the weekend. From W. Georgia, a taxi to Ballantyne is your best bet. If I had to guess, I'd say around $10 - $15.

I'm not familiar with a Maple Cafe/Maple Leaf Cafe. Maybe someone else could help you out. I'm not sure I'd be up to the Elbow Room after a long flight either. :D

If you're at all near the West End/English Bay area on Saturday night, grab a coffee and try to sit down somewhere and watch the sunset. Very relaxing way to end the evening.

Parrotthead, rush hours are typically Mon - Friday, so you should be okay on the weekend. From W. Georgia, a taxi to Ballantyne is your best bet. If I had to guess, I'd say around $10 - $15.

I'm not familiar with a Maple Cafe/Maple Leaf Cafe. Maybe someone else could help you out. I'm not sure I'd be up to the Elbow Room after a long flight either. :D

If you're at all near the West End/English Bay area on Saturday night, grab a coffee and try to sit down somewhere and watch the sunset. Very relaxing way to end the evening.

Cool...Thank you , Thank you!! I can not wait to visit! ( Im like a little kid at Christmas!):D

I'm curious whether you watched Rachael Ray's Tasty Travels-Vancouver on the Food Network recently, P'head? Sophie's and Mum's were two of RR's suggestions, as well as Feenie's. I'm checking into all of them also, even though we will be in town less than 24 pre-cruise hours!

Yes, I am such a RachelRay fan...I actually have here Vancouver Tasty Travels and Vancouver $40 a Day on DVR and am somewhat embarassed to say I watch them all the time...:o ..I just love her! We live in Texas, but she did 2 shows on Austin, Tx and the next time we went to Austin we had a 'RachelRay weekend' and visited several of the place she featured...was not dissappointed at all...

Ohhhhh, Have a wonderful holiday and we will be headed up there in less than 9 days!!!!:D

My wife and I will be in Vancouver for 24 hours or so before our Cruise.. Sept 23.

From what I can gleem on this thread and from talking to a friend who has visited Vancouver many times... The Trolley is a great way to see the city. Gastown is a great section of town, plus this area is close to the cruise ship terminal.

Any hints on great hotels to stay for one night before a cruise?

Can't wait.

We took the Vancouver Trolly our first day in Vancouver and it was wonderful. We were able to get off wherever we wanted and spend as much time in each stop as we wanted. They now offer transportation from any hotel to either of the ports. They picked us up at the Times Square Suites at the time we requested, it was just the 4 of us and our luggage. I think it was $11.00 per person, and we got a discount since we used the trolly previously.

Nancy

We'll be arriving mid-day on Sept 1st for 2 nights before boarding Infinity. Heard that there is a Maritime Museum in Vancouver - do you know anything about it and is it close to the Hyatt? We were also wondering if any of you very helpful Vancouverites know anything about a restaurant called West - I think that's the whole name.

I'm also researching dining options....I've read about a place called Inlets Bistro in the Blue Horizon Hotel on Robson St. http://inletsbistro.com/dinner.shtml

Anybody here have experience/opinions to share?

Otherwise, I'd love to get any suggestions for other nice, similarly priced places for a casual dinner in the area?

I'm also researching dining options....I've read about a place called Inlets Bistro in the Blue Horizon Hotel on Robson St. http://inletsbistro.com/dinner.shtml

Anybody here have experience/opinions to share?

Otherwise, I'd love to get any suggestions for other nice, similarly priced places for a casual dinner in the area?

I've never been to Inlets, so can't comment on whether it's good. But looking at their menu, I'd recommend Cardero's for a similar style, but with a much better view. It overlooks the marina, next to the Westin Bayshore and is along the walkway to Stanley Park. Great views of the water and mountains and very good food. It's very popular with locals. I LOVE their seared ahi tuna. :-D

Couple of Questions

We'll be arriving mid-day on Sept 1st for 2 nights before boarding Infinity. Heard that there is a Maritime Museum in Vancouver - do you know anything about it and is it close to the Hyatt? We were also wondering if any of you very helpful Vancouverites know anything about a restaurant called West - I think that's the whole name.

West is one of the best restaurants in the city. Very pricey, but the service and food are to die for.

The Maritime Museum is in the same building as the Planetarium. It's been a long time since I've been, but I remember it being not very big as far as museums go. I guess it depends on your personal interest.

It's at Vanier Park (across the Burrard St. bridge), which is a bit far to walk from most downtown hotels unless you really, really like walking. HOWEVER, it's one of the stops on the Vancouver Trolley tour, so that would be a good option for you. Or you could just grab a taxi.

Any hints on great hotels to stay for one night before a cruise?

This depends on your price point and what constitutes a great hotel for you. If you're willing to try, you can get 4* hotels by bidding through Priceline, and I'd say any of their four stars in downtown are great deals for the price.

If price is no object, I'd recommend the Pan Pacific for great views and being right over Canada Place; the Wedgewood for excellent service and more intimate feel; the Westin Bayshore for the view and proximity to Stanley Park; the Fairmont Waterfront for the service; partial views and proximity to Canada Place; Sutton Place for proximity to shopping on Robson, . . .

So you see, it depends on what you want. There are also smaller, funkier types of hotels with great charm - e.g. the Sylvia Hotel. If you could be more specific as to what you're looking for, people might be able to give you better recommendations.

ell

Hi! All you Canadians have been so friendly and helpful!! We love you guys!

Ok, here is a Victoria question...I understand that the ships dock in Ogden Point, on/near Dallas Road...and that this is a bit of a distance to the InnerHarbour and the Castle (Craigdrroch)...what is the best way to get to this area? Is it walkable, or is a taxi, or bus of some kind better? Any guess as to the fare if transit is needed? We are only in Victoria for 5 hours (11am-4pm) and want enjoy it.

** Also, this is our last port stop(we leave Victoria at 4pm) and we dock in Vancouver the next morning at 7am...now from what I can see there is a ferry that goes from Victoria to Vancouver and takes about 1hour and 40 min...so , does anyone have an idea of what this ship (Serenade -RCI) will do for the inturem time? Im very confused by this and thought maybe some of you have seen the beautiful Serenade just coasting in the bay all night long or something...we have joked that they will turn off the engines and we will row to Vancouver form Victoria:D :rolleyes: :p

** Also, this is our last port stop(we leave Victoria at 4pm) and we dock in Vancouver the next morning at 7am...now from what I can see there is a ferry that goes from Victoria to Vancouver and takes about 1hour and 40 min...so , does anyone have an idea of what this ship (Serenade -RCI) will do for the inturem time? Im very confused by this and thought maybe some of you have seen the beautiful Serenade just coasting in the bay all night long or something...we have joked that they will turn off the engines and we will row to Vancouver form Victoria:D :rolleyes: :p

We did a repo in May on Radiance and wondered the same thing. We pulled away from the Victoria dock since another ship needed the berth (too bad we couldnt have stayed longer to have more time in town) and then went about 45 minutes away and they actually did turn off the engines. We ended up just drifting along the west end of San Juan Island for most of the night which was cool since that's where the orcas usually are and where our whale watch tour earlier in the day brought us). We didnt however seen any more whales :(

We went to bed a bit after midnight and were still just drifting. When we woke up we were in Vancouver.

Hi! All you Canadians have been so friendly and helpful!! We love you guys!

Ok, here is a Victoria question...I understand that the ships dock in Ogden Point, on/near Dallas Road...and that this is a bit of a distance to the InnerHarbour and the Castle (Craigdrroch)...what is the best way to get to this area? Is it walkable, or is a taxi, or bus of some kind better? Any guess as to the fare if transit is needed? We are only in Victoria for 5 hours (11am-4pm) and want enjoy it.

** ...so , does anyone have an idea of what this ship (Serenade -RCI) will do for the inturem time? Im very confused by this and thought maybe some of you have seen the beautiful Serenade just coasting in the bay all night long or something...we have joked that they will turn off the engines and we will row to Vancouver form Victoria:D :rolleyes: :p

Parrotthead,

Most of the cruise ships run a shuttle from Ogden Point to the inner harbour area. However, it's very walkable (and safe). We walked the route this past May and it goes through a very pleasant residential area. There are also lots of taxis available.

Craigdarroch Castle is NOT at the inner harbour and is not easy walking distance unless you're used to a lot of walking. It's about a 40 -45 mintue walk, part of it uphill. I know you can get it as part of the Double Decker bus tour. They're situated right in front of the Empress Hotel.

Here's a link to a page on Craigdarroch's website about recommended ways to get there: How to Get to the Castle

AND about the last leg of the cruise, all the passengers will be asked to hang off the side of the ship and "kick" your way into Vancouver. :D :D But really, you'll just be going very, very slowly!

Parrotthead,

AND about the last leg of the cruise, all the passengers will be asked to hang off the side of the ship and "kick" your way into Vancouver. !

Thanks ell52...this is about what we expected...glad we dont have to use the oars..they give me splinners;) ...

My DD said she was watching a special on the History Channel and saw that there is reportedly a 'sea serpent/monster' in Vancounver bay:eek: ...(she cant remember its name tho)...so she said she will not be putting her feet in the water, she said if it comes to kicking and paddling our way back to Vancouver, we will just have to be adrift for ever :p

(My girls are 17 and 18 and have always wanted to go to Canada..so they are actually more excieted about visiting Vancouver and Victoria than Alaska):)

We live in Texas, but she did 2 shows on Austin, Tx and the next time we went to Austin we had a 'RachelRay weekend' and visited several of the place she featured...was not dissappointed at all...

Hi Parrotthead...

Since I gave you some feedback on another Victoria thread ... and since you are impressed with the Canadian helpfulness you've experienced :D ... now it's your turn! :rolleyes:

I'm heading to Austin for a conference in September, so I'd appreciate some suggestions for must-see sights or great, reasonably-priced restaurants. Many thanks! (sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread, honest! And I'll gladly answer Victoria ???s)

Karen