Vancouver Info if needed

Am I right in reading that all RCI ships dock at Ballantyne? Going to be coming in to Vancouver on May 4th on Vision of the Seas and can't find which pier we will be at. This has been a wonderful thread and most helpful. We are going to try and stay on a few days (two women coming off a group cruise) Any suggestions for inexpensive hotels B&B's. We are open to anything that's clean and safe!

I have few questions. Will the Celebrity Mercury sail from Canada Place next May-September, to sail Alaska?

Planning on staying a Westin Bayshore the night before the cruise next July, and like to know if we can tour the Stanley Park (ride the shuttle bus in the park) late afternoon or the morning of the cruise? Also would like to do a flower garden tour if we have time. Any suggestions?

I understand the Westin has a shuttle bus from the Airport to Hotel, and then take a cab to the pier. This is my plan so far. My spouse has trouble walking long distance so I trying to plan ahead, and flying in the day before.

One last question. We love fresh fried seafood do you know a close restaurant

in this area. Thank you so much for this thread and information. Suemoon

I have few questions. Will the Celebrity Mercury sail from Canada Place next May-September, to sail Alaska?

Most likely. The schedule isn't out yet for next year, but in the past, Celebrity has sailed from Canada Place.

Planning on staying a Westin Bayshore the night before the cruise next July, and like to know if we can tour the Stanley Park (ride the shuttle bus in the park) late afternoon or the morning of the cruise?
This year the shuttle ran 10:00am to 6:30pm. and likely the same next year. I think going the morning of the cruise would be fine. It only runs inside the park, so you'd have to walk or take a taxi to the park to get on for the first stop.

Have you considered doing the Hop On/Hop Off trolley instead? (Not free though.) You'd get to see more of the city sights and it goes to Stanley Park as well as other areas.

Also would like to do a flower garden tour if we have time. Any suggestions?
There's a very nice rose garden in Stanley Park. Otherwise, there's Van Dusen Gardens, Queen Elizabeth Park, and the Nitobe Japanese Gardens at the University of BC. These are all outside of the downtown area and you'd need a car or taxi to get to them.

One last question. We love fresh fried seafood do you know a close restaurant in this area.
There are a lot of seafood restaurants in Vancouver -- from upscale nouveau to Chinese to Japanese to steak & seafood chains. What exactly do you mean by "fresh fried seafood"? Do you have a price range?

THis is a great thread for us, since we will be visiting Vancouver for 2 days post-cruise and have never been there before!

According to Trip Advisor, the Hampton Inn downtown is Number 1! Has anybody stayed there or heard anything about it? Is it walking distance from the port when we disembark?

Thanks for any help!

THis is a great thread for us, since we will be visiting Vancouver for 2 days post-cruise and have never been there before!

According to Trip Advisor, the Hampton Inn downtown is Number 1! Has anybody stayed there or heard anything about it? Is it walking distance from the port when we disembark?

Thanks for any help!

NOPE. not close at all. It's over near BC Place a football stadium. You could wander downbelow Canada Place and take Sky Train and get off at Stadium Station but then its still quite a slog with stairs etc... but with luggage this would ot be something I would want to try ever.

Take a cab. Your hotel is walking distance to Granville Island via a small px ferry though and Yale town.

I don't actually have a question :p , I just wanted to say thank you to all of the wonderful Canadians who are making my trip soooo much easier. I only wish I could spend more than 1 day in what I'm sure is an absolutely wonderful city and country. Next Time for sure!

Thanks again!!!

Hi there -

I'll be in Vancouver next week. Can you tell me about your favorite restaurants in the area? We'll be staying at the Sheraton Wall Center. They don't have to be extremely close by there but within a short cab ride would be nice. And any with great city views. Mostly with a variety of foods, not too ethnic or chain restaurants.

Trisha

Best western downtown Vancouver is a decent hotel. I've stayed there on business before check out http://www.worldexecutive.com/ ymmv but I got a good deal on a kitchenette. Granville street where this hotel is located is kind of dumpy looking but perfectly safe although your car will be broken into if you leave stuff visible (applies to all areas of Vancouver).

The Howard Johnson on Granville street is ok as well but beware that it's closer to some of the bars on Granville which can be noisy. The best wester and the comfort inn are better in terms of decore.

The comfort inn on Nelson st has been renovated recently and has decent rates. Again this hotel is near the bar district which can be noisy but most downtown vancouver hotels can be.

Keep in mind these three hotels are all more on the south side of town away from the waterfront. It's at least a 15 minute walk to the waterfront from this area.

The mariott pinacle is a good hotel but is pricey. I get a corporate rate here so I stay for $130 a night. Just so you know how low you might be able to get on priceline :) The pinacle's rooms are a little small but the beds and room in general are very nice and clean and newer.

The Rennaisance Vancouver Hotel harbourside is a nice hotel but is older than the pinacle. I haven't stayed in any of the water side rooms but it's a good hotel.

Restaurants in Vancouver :

Chains

Cactus Club is a trendy local chain that has pretty good food. I haven't had a bad meal here. It's middle of the road price wise. The waitresses dress a little racy though.

White Spot is ok mediocre family restaurant fare. Service is always just ok to downright bad. Food is fine.

Must go places

Sun Sui Wah Restaurant has great dim sum. Dim sum is kind of like a chinese brunch. The servers push carts around and you pick what dishes you'd like. Most of the servers cannot speak english all that well so speak slowly to them to find out what they have!

The Banana leaf restaurant is out of this world good. They serve malaysian food which can be spicy so watch out! Try the green beans with prawns.

I like La Bodega restaurant (near the Best Western and HoJo). It's a tapas place with real jugs of Sangria.

If you stay in a hotel with a kitchen I would consider buying some crab at granville island and cooking it in your room! IMHO west coast dungeness crab is the best in the world. Of course I get it for free because I catch it myself!

First, is the YVR shuttle..you can't miss it as it's a big ugly green bus that runs from the airport (www.yvrairporter.com for schedule) about every twenty minutes to most downtown hotels including the Renaissance.

Thanks for the info!! It also services the pan pacific hotel which is right near the port!

Can you also get the shuttle from the hotels to the airport?

Yes, as long as the hotel is on their scheduled route.

Click this link -->Vancouver Airporter and go to the "Maps" section of the navigation bar.

The map of Downtown Hotels show the shuttle stops (in BLACK numbers).

They also have a PDF schedule you can download.

Can you tell me how long it will take to get from the cruise ship pier to the Vancouver airport. We'll be arriving on the Carnival Spirit next Sept on a Wednesday morning and my husband thinks we will have no problem getting to the airport for a 12:15 flight. (I'm a little nervous about that but Gee! wouldn't it be terrible if we missed our flight and were stuck there for a day.:D

I appreciate all the wonderful info on this thread even though we aren't planning to stay and enjoy the city this trip. I have bookmarked some of the links posted here for future reference. Thanks for any assistance.

Helabama

Cactus Club is a trendy local chain that has pretty good food. I haven't had a bad meal here. It's middle of the road price wise. The waitresses dress a little racy though.

We ate there...twice. Wow, what a great place! And the food was pretty good too! :D

Can you tell me how long it will take to get from the cruise ship pier to the Vancouver airport. We'll be arriving on the Carnival Spirit next Sept on a Wednesday morning and my husband thinks we will have no problem getting to the airport for a 12:15 flight. (I'm a little nervous about that but Gee! wouldn't it be terrible if we missed our flight and were stuck there for a day.:D

I appreciate all the wonderful info on this thread even though we aren't planning to stay and enjoy the city this trip. I have bookmarked some of the links posted here for future reference. Thanks for any assistance.

Helabama

You shouldn't have any problems making a 12:15 flight. Do self disembarkation and you get to get off early. It is very organized at the pier for taxis and a ride to the airport should cost you about $30 Canadian. It's only about 15-20 minutes depending on traffic.

Helabama

First, while you are likely sailing out of Canada Place, please be aware that cruise ships sail out two different piers in Vancouver: Canada Place and Ballantyne. They are both about 20 minutes by taxi to/from the airport.

Helabama

On a Wednesday morning, to be on the safe side, I think you need to allow at least 30 minutes to the airport. If all goes well, you should make a 12:15 flight.

A tip: If you're taking a taxi (and you dock at Canada Place) go straight upstairs to the front of the Pan Pacific Hotel for your taxi. You'll avoid the long line-up at the cruise terminal level.

With heightened security to the US these days (and possible changes in security levels) make sure you allow extra time for security and immigration checks.

You must go through US immigration at Vancouver airport first, then through security. Recommended time for check-in for US departures is 90 minutes and boarding gate deadline is 20 minutes (this last being a "hard" deadline). We've seen people denied boarding when they didn't make this.

Do you know if you are eligible for the Onboard Check-in program? If so, it will save you a lot of time.

You shouldn't have any problems making a 12:15 flight. Do self disembarkation and you get to get off early. It is very organized at the pier for taxis and a ride to the airport should cost you about $30 Canadian. It's only about 15-20 minutes depending on traffic.

That is great news. By making the 12:15 flight we will make great connections and get back home the same day. I'm a little gun-shy about early post-cruise flights after missing a 1:15 flight in NYC a couple years ago. Thanks very much for the info.

On a Wednesday morning, to be on the safe side, I think you need to allow at least 30 minutes to the airport. If all goes well, you should make a 12:15 flight.

A tip: If you're taking a taxi (and you dock at Canada Place) go straight upstairs to the front of the Pan Pacific Hotel for your taxi. You'll avoid the long line-up at the cruise terminal level.

With heightened security to the US these days (and possible changes in security levels) make sure you allow extra time for security and immigration checks.

You must go through US immigration at Vancouver airport first, then through security. Recommended time for check-in for US departures is 90 minutes and boarding gate deadline is 20 minutes (this last being a "hard" deadline). We've seen people denied boarding when they didn't make this.

Do you know if you are eligible for the Onboard Check-in program? If so, it will save you a lot of time.

Thanks very much for the additional information. We have to book our flight soon and will take all this into consideration. We will qualify for the onboard check-in but we won't count on that. In June we returned to Vancouver from an Alaska cruise. Four people in our group used the onboard check-in. One was declined for no apparant reason while her husband was accepted--no one could tell her why she was declined. So I would hate to count on that to determine if we make our flight.

Again, thank you and thanks to everyone who has posted such helpful information.

Helabama

:) All replies will be so appreciated. There will be 5 of us or 3 of us depending on if inlaws travel with us or not. We will be taking the Princess Sapphire cruise to Alaska (and doing our own 2 weeks on land after). We would love a bunch of suggestions for nearby reasonable hotels (nothing fancy, but a nice free buffet breakfast arrangement is a huge plus).

We are traveling with our soon to be 14 year old son. We are looking for something close to YVR and the port Princess uses to have a possible free shuttle for pick up from the airport and to then get us to the ship dock the next day if such a thing exisits. We have no idea on what to expect. Please let us know what you might suggest, and if the hotel has the free buffet and shuttle. We do not need anything fancy as it's a place to relax and maybe go out for a stroll or a possible trolly ride while doing some "close to home" exploring. We like family style diner types for food as well.

Thanks so much and have a great day!

:) All replies will be so appreciated. There will be 5 of us or 3 of us depending on if inlaws travel with us or not. We will be taking the Princess Sapphire cruise to Alaska (and doing our own 2 weeks on land after). We would love a bunch of suggestions for nearby reasonable hotels (nothing fancy, but a nice free buffet breakfast arrangement is a huge plus).

We are traveling with our soon to be 14 year old son. We are looking for something close to YVR and the port Princess uses to have a possible free shuttle for pick up from the airport and to then get us to the ship dock the next day if such a thing exisits. We have no idea on what to expect. Please let us know what you might suggest, and if the hotel has the free buffet and shuttle. We do not need anything fancy as it's a place to relax and maybe go out for a stroll or a possible trolly ride while doing some "close to home" exploring. We like family style diner types for food as well.

Thanks so much and have a great day!

I suggest you go to the "Alaska" forum and do a search for "Vancouver hotels". You will see many threads on this very topic and lots of good suggestions and ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

We are cruising from San Francisco to Vancouver on May 5-12, 2006. I would like to know what hotels you recommend in Vancouver as we will be staying there for three days after the cruise and flying home from Vancouver. Also what is the weather like in early May? Thanks for your help!

Teri

This is my favorite site for vancouver. Check it out. There are a lot of great hotels and some of not so great prices (expensive)

http://www3.telus.net/cruise_watch/info.htm

There is a map here with hotel positions. check it out and then maybe do some pricing to find your own comfort zone.

Weather in May.?? It's the coast. Could be really nice or really rainy. sorry that's as good as it gets.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

We'll be getting off the Spirit at Canada Place and staying at the Hampton Inn on Robson street downtown.

Any idea how far that is from each other?

Also, we will not have a car until we leave for Seattle. we're just in Vancouver for two days. Plan on doing the trolley tour the first day. What else would be in walking distance to our hotel?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi/ The Hampton Inn is at the end of Robson Street about 6 blocks from where all the shopping action is but it is walkable. (without carrying anything other than a backpack) From those 6 blks you turn towards Canada Place and it is another 6 blocks.

All the area is walkable for those in reasonable shape. But it is not close to anything really down there.

Head off in the other direction SW sort of and you are fairly close to Yale town and a water taxi to Granville Island.

You have to get around BC Place (Huge Sports Dome) and GM Place (hockey rink) to get south and East. However 2 blocks that way to Sky Train which is a great way to get around and see the Lowermainland to the East.

You are however not where I would call the centre of any immediate action.

Google your hotel on Google maps and it all be comes quite clear.