Vancouver Info if needed

Cab fare will run you about $10. You could take SkyTrain from Main St. Station to Waterfront Station for $2.50pp. Canada Place is about 3 blocks from Harbour Centre where you will find a BC Liquor Store for your wine purchase and a place to purchase some soda. You may be as well to bring your wine with you from the US as our wine prices in BC tend to be up 3 times what you are likely used of paying...and you can certainly bring 2 bottles into Canada duty free.

Cab fare will run you about $10. You could take SkyTrain from Main St. Station to Waterfront Station for $2.50pp. Canada Place is about 3 blocks from Harbour Centre where you will find a BC Liquor Store for your wine purchase and a place to purchase some soda. You may be as well to bring your wine with you from the US as our wine prices in BC tend to be up 3 times what you are likely used of paying...and you can certainly bring 2 bottles into Canada duty free.

Thank you, we will get the wine in Seattle, put it in ziplock bags and put it in our checked luggage on the train. Wonder if I can take a 12 pack of cokes on the train?

Thank you, we will get the wine in Seattle, put it in ziplock bags and put it in our checked luggage on the train. Wonder if I can take a 12 pack of cokes on the train?

There is a baggage limit you better check on that. Details on their website.

PD and Left CoastBC - I see that our local thread has been closed so here`s a head`s up on another change in the hotel scene in Vancouver.

The Airport Inn - which use to be the Quality Inn on Marine which used to be the Blue Boy is now apart of the Super 8 Chain - noticed it while out for a drive today so I thought that you might be interested in that news - it will be a short 100 Bus trip from the Marine Drive station on the Canada Line to the Hotel.

Cheers

Dennis

PD and Left CoastBC - I see that our local thread has been closed so here`s a head`s up on another change in the hotel scene in Vancouver.

The Airport Inn - which use to be the Quality Inn on Marine which used to be the Blue Boy is now apart of the Super 8 Chain - noticed it while out for a drive today so I thought that you might be interested in that news - it will be a short 100 Bus trip from the Marine Drive station on the Canada Line to the Hotel.

Cheers

Dennis

That part of town doesn't realy have a thing for tourists. That hotel was known as a hang out for fences and other types.

I grew up about 1 mile from that hotel. Then the police used to

sweep the bar/pub for contraband and stolen goods on a weekly basis.

Cheers

Dennis

That part of town doesn't realy have a thing for tourists. That hotel was known as a hang out for fences and other types.

I grew up about 1 mile from that hotel. Then the police used to

sweep the bar/pub for contraband and stolen goods on a weekly basis.

Thks Dennis.. will keep that in mind. People often ask about something out that way. Super 8 has a history.

DD Yup I used to put away a few there too when it was just a beer parlour :)

Things change...jeez beer was under a buck then.

We better be careful that we don`t stray too off topic but I was known to put a few away there.

I posted about it because there was a discussion about the Hotel last year after it changed from the Quality Inn chain and advertise itself as an Airport Hotel which we all know was stretching it a little so if it comes up that Vancouver now has a Super 8 we will know what they are referring to.

Cheers

Dennis

I am just beginning very early casual research for our 2012 Pacific Coastal Cruise which will end in Vancouver. At this point we are considering staying a couple of nights in Vancouver before taking Amtrak back to LA (Coast Starlight).

I would be curious to know if sightseeing in Vancouver is best done with a rental car or local transportation? Also, would we be able to connect via train from Vancouver to Seattle directly, or should we plan to spend a night in Seattle also? We have been to Seattle several times plus will have a day there on the cruise, so do not feel a need to stay there unless it would be better for connecting.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

Hi Ginny;

One of AZ undocumented aliens here...don't tell Gov. Jan or the Minutemen about me...OK.:rolleyes:

Vancouver makes little sense with a rental car, you will be pay upward of $20 pn for parking in your hotel, paying for parking at many of the attractions and quite frankly the city is becoming less and less auto friendly by the month.

Options include using public transit which while very cost efficient lack the narration that many appreciate when visiting a city for the first time...that said most attractions can be accessed by transit, transit does offer all day passes and the drivers are very helpful. The other option is one of the two HOHOs which I recommend as they let you see a great deal of the city in very little time. Each offers a two day pass. The Vancouver Trolley offers live narration while the Big Buses is canned.

You certainly can take Amtrak from Vancouver to Seattle but the connection would depend upon the time of your flight.

Here are a couple of links for you:

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/

http://www.bigbus.ca/

http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/

Edited by Putterdude

2012 May see changes once again in the Train schedule to Seattle so you connection to the Train South from there is one you will have to watch.

I would say that your best plan would be to take the train to Seattle and plan on an overnight until you get closer to the date unless you can wrestle a commitment out of AMTRAK directly yourself.

The trip to Seattle is very nice and I recommend Business class .for the xtra few $ is worth it.

The Route down from Seattle is neat also and get the biggest accommodation that you can afford. After a cruise you will feel like you are back onboard a rockin' and rollin' but more confined. :)

Scenic trip up through the mountains (big hills for us) and then back down along the coast.

Did the reverse trip from Oakland a few yrs back. Hope they have the plumbing fixed :(

Left Coast - what changes are in store for the Amtrak service - I thought the two trains are assured for the next couple of years.

Cheers

Dennis

nothing that I know of but the way it has been I just wanted AZ girl to be aware of the situation. If you know for sure we are good for that long, great. She is talking 2012...

Since our other thread is now closed just a brief note that another old drinking establishment in downtown Vancouver is no more - the demolition of the old Cecil hotel is just about finished. To be replaced with a 20 + storey condo tower.

Finally have finished booking both legs on my Panama Canal cruise.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Ginny;

One of AZ undocumented aliens here...don't tell Gov. Jan or the Minutemen about me...OK.:rolleyes:

OK - I'll keep your secret! Do you sneak across the border at night?;)

Thank you for the helpful links. We aren't going to fly out of Seattle - we're planning to take Amtrak. The website is confusing. I am not sure if we can get on the Coast Starlight in Vancouver or if we would get on the train in Vancouver and transfer to another train in Seattle?:confused: I know things can change for 2012, but just trying to get an idea in my head as I seem to be the one arranging things for other people going with us as well.

I would say that your best plan would be to take the train to Seattle and plan on an overnight until you get closer to the date unless you can wrestle a commitment out of AMTRAK directly yourself.

(

Thank you. That is what it looked like to me on the schedule, but then I saw another schedule that looked like the Coast Starlight had a beginning point in Vancouver. Very confusing.

The other advice you gave me is also much appreciated. Looking forward to the trip and also hope the plumbing is fixed!:eek:

It sounds like you want information re a transfer from the Seattle Train station to SEATAC and I am afraid I can't help you with that information...I am sure that there will be someone along who can. If not then maybe a post on a Seattle thread would help you.

Edited by Putterdude

It sounds like you want information re a transfer from the Seattle Train station to SEATAC and I am afraid I can't help you with that information...I am sure that there will be someone along who can. If not then maybe a post on a Seattle thread would help you.

Is this for me? If so, no no.....we are continuing on the train from Seattle to LA. From LA we will either fly home or drive. We haven't decided that part yet. I was wondering about the Amtrak connection from the Vancouver - Seattle train to the Seattle - LA train (Coast Starlight) and if an overnight would be required in Seattle or if we would just be able to stay on the same train.:confused:

Is this for me? If so, no no.....we are continuing on the train from Seattle to LA. From LA we will either fly home or drive. We haven't decided that part yet. I was wondering about the Amtrak connection from the Vancouver - Seattle train to the Seattle - LA train (Coast Starlight) and if an overnight would be required in Seattle or if we would just be able to stay on the same train.:confused:

Ahh, it is now clear....our resident expert in all things Amtrak is the Urban trekker and I am sure that he will be along shortly with a very definaitve answer for you.

Aren't you glad that winter is over...this has been our worst one here in 7 years.

We aren't going to fly out of Seattle - we're planning to take Amtrak. The website is confusing. I am not sure if we can get on the Coast Starlight in Vancouver or if we would get on the train in Vancouver and transfer to another train in Seattle?

Are you taking the train because it's cheaper than flying? Just wondering because we'll be in Vancouver in a few months and never thought of taking the train back to LA or PHX. BTW, how long is the trip?

Happy to answer this question about Amtrak as I have done this several times.

Unless you want to stay over night in Seattle you will take an Amtrak bus from Vancouver to Seattle - it is a direct connection - off the bus - into the station - check your baggage if any - and if you are in a sleeper you should get the call to board shortly after arriving at the King Street station which is under redevelopment so little in the way of amenities at the present time.

The downside is that the bus leaves Vancouver around 5:30 AM so you would ned to get to the Station early - the current schedule shows a 30 minute wait in Seattle - this could be longer if the bus gets in early which it did the last time I took it for this connection.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Geomarc - FYI - Amtrak doesn`t go into Phoenix - you would have to get off in Maricopa - also the service from LA to Maricopa is only Sunday, Wednesday, Friday at present.

Seattle to LA is around 36 hours leaving Seattle in the AM and arriving in LA the following evening.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Ahh, it is now clear....our resident expert in all things Amtrak is the Urban trekker and I am sure that he will be along shortly with a very definaitve answer for you.

Aren't you glad that winter is over...this has been our worst one here in 7 years.

Yes - hopefully it's over. I am anxious for it to get nice and warm again so I can start complaining about the heat, LOL!:D

Are you taking the train because it's cheaper than flying? Just wondering because we'll be in Vancouver in a few months and never thought of taking the train back to LA or PHX. BTW, how long is the trip?

No, we are taking it for the scenery and the experience. It is not cheaper when you get a sleeper or bedroom. We just think it would be a fun way to extend the vacation. We will take it back to LA and then either fly or drive home to Phoenix. We haven't decided on that part yet. If we drove we would have to get back to the San Pedro port from the train station to get our car. I am not sure how convenient that would be. If we can get a good airfare it just may be better to fly to the cruise and then back from LA again.

The Amtrak schedule states that it takes 35 hours to go from Seattle to LA.

Happy to answer this question about Amtrak as I have done this several times.

Unless you want to stay over night in Seattle you will take an Amtrak bus from Vancouver to Seattle - it is a direct connection - off the bus - into the station - check your baggage if any - and if you are in a sleeper you should get the call to board shortly after arriving at the King Street station which is under redevelopment so little in the way of amenities at the present time.

The downside is that the bus leaves Vancouver around 5:30 AM so you would ned to get to the Station early - the current schedule shows a 30 minute wait in Seattle - this could be longer if the bus gets in early which it did the last time I took it for this connection.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you! That is exactly the information I was looking for. So we have to decide if we would prefer to take the early bus connection or do an overnight in Seattle. At this point I think the bus would be our preference. Does the train wait for the bus if it is late?

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl