Vancouver Info if needed

Thank you, thank you, thank you Urban Trekker!! Sounds like a perfect day trip for us and we will definately stop and see the sights along the way. I love the Horseshoe Bay idea with dinner there. I have printed your blog to show my husband and parents.

Edited by Pocahantas

Shoppie (or anyone that can answer): We have Thursday at noon until Saturday afternoon in Vancouver and I am having a lot of difficulty choosing the restaurants we will visit, can you help out? These are my top choices:

West on Granville

Chambar

L'Abattoire

Hapa Izakaya or Guu on Robson

Market by Jean-Georges

Bin 941 or 942

The Sand Bar on Granville Island

Tojos

Rodney's Oyster House

We love seafood but it is not mandatory that we go to a seafood restaurant. What we are looking for is great food and service. I also like a great bartender ;)

Thanks for any insight :)

That would be 1.5 litres of wine per person or 2 X.750 litres bottles per person.

Can you tell me if a person aged 19 years - legally old enough to drink in Canada but not old enough in the US can bring Duty Free across the boarder? I am thinking probably not but we could purchase it for her so as not to break the law.

Can you tell me if a person aged 19 years - legally old enough to drink in Canada but not old enough in the US can bring Duty Free across the boarder? I am thinking probably not but we could purchase it for her so as not to break the law.

I think you have of legal age for the State of washington before you can bring alchol or cigarettes into BC . The legal age in BC (Vancouver ) is

19 for both alcohol and tobacco.

Does anyone know if Vancouver has taxi's that accomodate 4 people with luggage? (Something like a van or SUV?) We'll have 4 people leaving from the train station area to the pier, and would all like to go in one cab if possible.

Do we need to make advanced reservations? Or, is it something we can just grab outside that morning? Not sure how common they are, or if they are even available.

Thanks for your help!

Does anyone know if Vancouver has taxi's that accomodate 4 people with luggage? (Something like a van or SUV?) We'll have 4 people leaving from the train station area to the pier, and would all like to go in one cab if possible.

Do we need to make advanced reservations? Or, is it something we can just grab outside that morning? Not sure how common they are, or if they are even available.

Thanks for your help!

Yes there are some mini-van types; just ask at the taxi rank. However, the majority of taxis in Vancouver now are Prius or Corollas.

Regarding the question about bringing liquor - the way you have posted the question has me a little confused - which way are you going from Canada to the US or US to Caanda.

If the former no they will not be able to bring any duty free in the US - if the latter while they can`t buy it in the US you could by it for them and they can declare it at the border as you are on Canadian soil.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Regarding the question about bringing liquor - the way you have posted the question has me a little confused - which way are you going from Canada to the US or US to Caanda.

If the former no they will not be able to bring any duty free in the US - if the latter while they can`t buy it in the US you could by it for them and they can declare it at the border as you are on Canadian soil.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Oops! Sorry about that. Yes we will be going from US to Canada. Sounds like we will be able to do this so long as we purchase it for her in the US.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

Leanne

Shoppie (or anyone that can answer): We have Thursday at noon until Saturday afternoon in Vancouver and I am having a lot of difficulty choosing the restaurants we will visit, can you help out? These are my top choices:

West on Granville

Chambar

L'Abattoire

Market by Jean-Georges

Bin 941 or 942

Tojos

Rodney's Oyster House

We love seafood but it is not mandatory that we go to a seafood restaurant. What we are looking for is great food and service. I also like a great bartender ;)

Wow.. I have not been to any of those but it's a sure fire list from what I have read..

How long did you say you had... Good luck

will be spending a few days post cruise in vancouver...does costco there sell wine?...if not, where do you recommend we buy wine?

also, massages...reasonably priced spas...would be nice to detoxify after cruise in vancouver?!...do you know of any good spas...

will be staying at sheraton wall centre...

thanks in advance

ralph in san diego, ca

will be spending a few days post cruise in vancouver...does costco there sell wine?...if not, where do you recommend we buy wine?

also, massages...reasonably priced spas...would be nice to detoxify after cruise in vancouver?!...do you know of any good spas...

will be staying at sheraton wall centre...

thanks in advance

ralph in san diego, ca

No, neither Costco or grocery stores sell wine or beer in the province of BC. Your largest selection of wine and likely you best price will be at the new BC Liquor Store which is located Bute and Alberni Sts, about 5 blocks from your hotel. One of my fellow Vancouver posters may be familiar with a private liquor store that is a bit closer.

There is also a small private beer and wine store in the Sheraton - there is another spa in the Century Plaza hotel across the street from the Sheraton - there is a large provate wine store in the 1000 Block Davie about 2 blocks from your hotel - it`s is called marquis wines - will try and find and post a link a little later but I am just about out the door for my last day of some job training regarding the upcoming Canadian Census.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Does anyone know what the taxi fare would be from the airport to downtown area hotels (we're staying at the Hyatt Regency)?

I see that there's a skytrain, and was considering it, but I'm afraid we'll have too much luggage (and too high a kid to adult ratio) to easily get on and off of the train; not to mention, I'm not sure there would be enough room to store all of our luggage.

I also saw that there's a "shared ride" van that will take us from the airport to the hotel, but it only leaves once an hour and takes 45 minutes to get to our hotel. So I'm wondering if a taxi would be much more expensive (we'd need three taxis with our sized group).

Also, does anyone know how to handle infants in a taxicab? We have young children and will not have a carseat.

Does anyone know what the taxi fare would be from the airport to downtown area hotels (we're staying at the Hyatt Regency)?

I see that there's a skytrain, and was considering it, but I'm afraid we'll have too much luggage (and too high a kid to adult ratio) to easily get on and off of the train; not to mention, I'm not sure there would be enough room to store all of our luggage.

I also saw that there's a "shared ride" van that will take us from the airport to the hotel, but it only leaves once an hour and takes 45 minutes to get to our hotel. So I'm wondering if a taxi would be much more expensive (we'd need three taxis with our sized group).

Also, does anyone know how to handle infants in a taxicab? We have young children and will not have a carseat.

The cab fare from the Hyatt Regency to YVR is about $35. Children are exempt from the car seat regualtion in taxis.

A taxi will take about 20-35 minutes depending on the time of day that you arrive. Traffic can be quite bad (especially during rushhours). There should be some mini-van taxis at the taxi rank, and you're looking at about $35 as another poster said (yes they will take credit cards). As for skytrain, if your children are very small and in strollers, Skytrain is pretty easy as it's all elevators/level-entry; and there's plenty of room on board for luggage; but given your situation a taxi probably works best.

Just booked a cruise for September leaving out of Vancouver and ending up in Seward. I'm now looking at flights and trying to see the cheapest way to arrive and leave from these two ports. We would be flying from Atlanta.

I notice a lot of talk about AMTRAK from Seattle to Vancouver. We could get a cheap airfare from ATL to Seattle, but didn't know if taking the train from Seattle to Vancouver would be a good or bad option and if it would be to costly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Terry from Georgia

It operates on an very timely basis, particularly during the cruise season. It distance between Vancouver and Seattle is only about 120 miles and if there ever is a problem they have their bus backup.

West on Granville

Chambar

L'Abattoire

Market by Jean-Georges

Bin 941 or 942

Tojos

Rodney's Oyster House

I have lived in Vancouver all my life and have eaten at all those restaurants.

I have to say that by far my favourite is West Restaurant on Granville. Please note that it is a way out of the downtown core but only about 15-20 minutes by car or taxi from the port. West has BY FAR the best bartenders in the city and they can make some beautiful, stunning drinks. Definitely not your typical bartending fare. The food there is also always top notch.

If you want some funky and Japanese, Hapa Izakaya on Robson is a fantastic choice. Vancouver has some of the best asian food in the world... both Hapa Izakaya and Tojo's will not disappoint for Japanese food, but Hapa Izakaya is more funky whereas Tojo's is more formal. I would give the food at Tojo's an edge, but it is also significantly more expensive than Hapa.

Avoid Sand Bar at all costs. Great views, but food is terrible :)

Hope that helps!

I have lived in Vancouver all my life and have eaten at all those restaurants.

I have to say that by far my favourite is West Restaurant on Granville. Please note that it is a way out of the downtown core but only about 15-20 minutes by car or taxi from the port. West has BY FAR the best bartenders in the city and they can make some beautiful, stunning drinks. Definitely not your typical bartending fare. The food there is also always top notch.

If you want some funky and Japanese, Hapa Izakaya on Robson is a fantastic choice. Vancouver has some of the best asian food in the world... both Hapa Izakaya and Tojo's will not disappoint for Japanese food, but Hapa Izakaya is more funky whereas Tojo's is more formal. I would give the food at Tojo's an edge, but it is also significantly more expensive than Hapa.

Avoid Sand Bar at all costs. Great views, but food is terrible :)

Hope that helps!

I've got to disagree about the Sandbar if it's lunchtime. I'm pretty fussy, and I find that it's a great place for lunch. Also, the Bistro downstairs at Bridges has 1/2 price wine on Wednesdays.

Viv

We'll be in Vancouver June 22 for a couple of days post cruise and wanted to do the Eye of the Wind tour at Grouse Mountain. Heard there might still be snow at Grouse - do you think it would effect the Eye tour? Were going to do the Imax, maybe lumberjack show and spend the whole day there...worth it or should we come up with a plan B? Thanks!