Vancouver Info if needed

Thank you both, so much! And yes, it was the Pink Pearl (went there about 10yrs ago).

Sun Sui Wah has high ratings, as does Red Star (I believe its in Richmond). You've both given us plenty to check out before our arrival in July!

Also absolutely love the names for the tapas restaurants and thanks for the suggestion to use Open Table for reservations.:p

I'm getting hungry and still have a month to go!

K

I have many pretty good Dim Sum meals at the Pink Pearl, it is very popular in the Chinese community. It had a major fire several years back but is rebuilt and back in business. As for the La Bodega, it has been off my radar for a few years now but I used to enjoy it.

Thank you both, so much! And yes, it was the Pink Pearl (went there about 10yrs ago).

Sun Sui Wah has high ratings, as does Red Star (I believe its in Richmond). You've both given us plenty to check out before our arrival in July!

Also absolutely love the names for the tapas restaurants and thanks for the suggestion to use Open Table for reservations.:p

K

Just had a thought, but it sort of depends on *why* you didn't like Pink Pearl... You might find Bao Bei in Chinatown more to your tastes. It's a much more modern take on the small portions concept, Shanghai- & Taiwan-style cuisine rather than Cantonese as a core, and the bar concoctions are taken just as seriously as the food. Very different, very good, VERY popular - and doesn't take resos, so go early if you want a table and you don't like to wait for one. Fri/Sat, go 15 minutes before they open - but if you're happy to sit at the bar you can usually turn up just after opening time.

It's also very 'gwai lo' friendly in case you found the service more of an issue than the food at Pink Pearl... a traditional dim sum place can be rather frustrating until you get used to the subtleties of how things work.

K

As a local Asian Canadian, imho, Pink Pearl has gone downhill. Don't get me wrong, it's still popular - I think mainly because of the serving carts - but no where near the quality available elsewhere. There are fewer and fewer push-cart dim sum places around. The best one would be Sun Sui Wah on Main Street, mentioned by a previous poster. Local Chinese prefer the order per list method because the food is fresher and hot out of the kitchen. Please consider this type of dim sum restaurant. It's not as daunting as you think!

Also, if you really want good dim sum, it's worth taking the Canada Line into Richmond. Get off at any of the stops and you will be within walking distance of several good to excellent places.

Get off at Aberdeen; walk a couple blocks east to Aberdeen Centre:

- Fisherman's Terrace

Off at Lansdowne:

- easy walk to the Richmond location of Sun Sui Wah

- Jade Restaurant

Get off at Brighouse (end of line):

- Empire Seafood - our current favourite

- Kirin

- Shanghai River

Ellen: thank you, too, for the information. We will definitely check out your suggestions. No, the order-off -the-list method is not daunting nor unfamiliar to us. Just like to try new things if something interesting is seen.

Again...thank you all for the great suggestions.

We plan to arrive in Vancouver a couple of days ahead of our Cruisetour. We will be staying at the Fairmont Airport. On June 26th, we plan to take the Skytrain down to Canada Place early in the morning. From there we want to have Breakfast at Scoozis and afterwards, we plan on purchasing tickets for the HOHO bus (red route).

Throughout the day, we will tour most of the locations along the red route. Getting off at various locations and spending some time looking around and then getting back on the HOHO.

Later in the day we will probably have supper at Steamworks and then head back to the hotel via the Skytrain again.

When we return to Vancouver on Jul 14th we arrive at 7AM and probably won't be able to check into the Pan Pacific until 3PM. I presume we can check our bags at the Pan Pacific. From there we thought we would conduct our own walking tour to the Steam Clock in Gastown and then onto the Dr. Sun Yet Sun Gardens.

We'd plan to arrive back at the Pan Pacific around 3 in order to check in.

After check in I was going to take the free shuttle to Grouse Mountain and use Bus #236 to get back from there in the early evening. I believe the last free shuttle from Grouse Mtn is around 5PM so we'd have to use Bus #236 to get back.

My questions:

1. Would I be better off purchasing a Day Pass for the Skytrain since we will be going in both directions on the same day?

2. Is my plan on Jul 14th doable?

3. Do you have to pre-purchase tickets for Grouse Mtn in order to get on the free shuttle.

Thanks in advance for your help.

We plan to arrive in Vancouver a couple of days ahead of our Cruisetour. We will be staying at the Fairmont Airport. On June 26th, we plan to take the Skytrain down to Canada Place early in the morning. From there we want to have Breakfast at Scoozis and afterwards, we plan on purchasing tickets for the HOHO bus (red route).

Throughout the day, we will tour most of the locations along the red route. Getting off at various locations and spending some time looking around and then getting back on the HOHO.

Later in the day we will probably have supper at Steamworks and then head back to the hotel via the Skytrain again.

When we return to Vancouver on Jul 14th we arrive at 7AM and probably won't be able to check into the Pan Pacific until 3PM. I presume we can check our bags at the Pan Pacific. From there we thought we would conduct our own walking tour to the Steam Clock in Gastown and then onto the Dr. Sun Yet Sun Gardens.

We'd plan to arrive back at the Pan Pacific around 3 in order to check in.

After check in I was going to take the free shuttle to Grouse Mountain and use Bus #236 to get back from there in the early evening. I believe the last free shuttle from Grouse Mtn is around 5PM so we'd have to use Bus #236 to get back.

My questions:

1. Would I be better off purchasing a Day Pass for the Skytrain since we will be going in both directions on the same day?

3. Do you have to pre-purchase tickets for Grouse Mtn in order to get on the free shuttle.

Yes buy a day pass, or book of 10 tickets (called a faresaver, you'll need 2 zones ones). Single tickets bought at YVR (Fairmont YVR is next door to the airport) have a significant surcharge ($5/ea), whereas a book of 10 tickets is only $31.50 or day passes are $9.75/ea. You can get both at the 7-11 located below the domestic baggage area at YVR

My questions:

The way your plans are laid out there is little point in paying $31.50 for a book of FareSaver tickets. A day pass for $9.75 each on June 26th will make sense then just pay the $4 2 zone cash fare on your return from Grouse on the July 14th with that you will be $4.50 better off then purchasing the FareSaver tickets. Yes, the Pan Pacific will accept your luggage in the morning of your disembarkation and yes your plan is doable. No, you do not need to purchase your Grouse Mtn. tickets in advance to ride the free shuttle to the mountain.

I'm curious about the beach and Vancouver weather... History shows temp averages in the low 70's in the summer months... Do folks in Vancouver go to the beach and swim in that weather?

Yes, very much so. Averages are just that...but any time the temperature is much over 70 people are in the water.

The way your plans are laid out there is little point in paying $31.50 for a book of FareSaver tickets. A day pass for $9.75 each on June 26th will make sense then just pay the $4 2 zone cash fare on your return from Grouse on the July 14th with that you will be $4.50 better off then purchasing the FareSaver tickets. Yes, the Pan Pacific will accept your luggage in the morning of your disembarkation and yes your plan is doable. No, you do not need to purchase your Grouse Mtn. tickets in advance to ride the free shuttle to the mountain.

Thanks so much for your input. Regarding the #236 bus from Grouse Mtn, do I just get on the bus and ask for a 2 zone fare and pay the $4 to the driver or do I purchase the ticket before we get on the bus?

I saw in a previous post that the taxi cabs take credit cards, which is good. Can you add your tip on to the credit card or do we need some cash to tip the driver?

Thanks!

Either way will be fine, I usually just add it to the credit card.

Thanks so much for your input. Regarding the #236 bus from Grouse Mtn, do I just get on the bus and ask for a 2 zone fare and pay the $4 to the driver or do I purchase the ticket before we get on the bus?

Just tell the bus driver what you are up to and he will tell you the fare and then you will deposit it in the fare box...you will need the exact fare they no longer make change. Be sure and ask for a transfer, you will need it for the SeaBus. I see July 14 is a Sunday so your 2 zone fare will be only $2.75 which is yet another reason not to purchase the FareSavers.

Just tell the bus driver what you are up to and he will tell you the fare and then you will deposit it in the fare box...you will need the exact fare they no longer make change. Be sure and ask for a transfer, you will need it for the SeaBus. I see July 14 is a Sunday so your 2 zone fare will be only $2.75 which is yet another reason not to purchase the FareSavers.

Once again, thanks for the info.

You buy the ticket on the bus (you'll need Canadian coin for this). Ask the driver for a two zone (one zone evenings/weekends) ticket (she/he needs to press a button), and drop in the coins (Canada has $1 and $2 coins) and it will spit out a magstripe encoded ticket. That ticket is then good on all forms of transit (hold onto it) for 90 minutes.

if you're going to be shooting around town, the book of 10 pre-paid tickets are really handy. If you just need one or two rides, you can just buy on board.

A special thanks to all the cruise critic members who provided info on your wonderful city. We arrived on Thurs the 13th and took a cab to Pan Pacific hotel, what a wonderful place. We walked Gastown and found a meal at a small eatery the locals seemed to like. Your city was clean the air is fresh and its was delightful to walk around and we felt very safe.

On Friday we received a call our son in law had been severely injured in Florida and we had to return ASAP.

We notified Holland America to cancel cruise along with prepaid items and excursions I think it went smooth as could be expected thank goodness for insurance. We called to cancel return hotels and tours.

Made flight changes for Saturday and spent the day trying to make the best of our time left. The HOHO big red bus was a good distraction.

Sat morning we left early enough to be ahead of cruise passengers but we did have to go look at the ship once before we departed. Going thru the check points was quick and easy since no one was there. Returned to Fla at 2 AM ready for a nap. Thanks again to the great cruise critic folks. WE WILL BE BACK!!!!

Since this thread has been so helpful thus far I thought I would post my question here. We will have 2 full days in Vancouver on 7/3 and 7/4 prior to our cruise on Friday. There are a few things that we know we want to do but I'm not sure how to schedule them between the 2 days. There are 4 of us including 2 teens and we will be staying at the Sunset Inn so we also need to figure out how to transport ourselves on public transit from/to that location.

1. Capilano bridge

2. Stanley Park

3. Queen Elizabeth park and Bloedel Conservatory

4. Granville Island

5. Gastown

6. Grouse Mountain

Can we fit all this into 2 days? Which should we do in the same day to save time and will we be sorry if we skip Grouse Mountain? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Susan

Since this thread has been so helpful thus far I thought I would post my question here. We will have 2 full days in Vancouver on 7/3 and 7/4 prior to our cruise on Friday. There are a few things that we know we want to do but I'm not sure how to schedule them between the 2 days. There are 4 of us including 2 teens and we will be staying at the Sunset Inn so we also need to figure out how to transport ourselves on public transit from/to that location.

1. Capilano bridge

2. Stanley Park

4. Granville Island

5. Gastown

6. Grouse Mountain

Can we fit all this into 2 days? Which should we do in the same day to save time and will we be sorry if we skip Grouse Mountain? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Susan

This would be too much for my family. Stanley Park can be a full day. Gastown plus Granville Island the other day. If you must go to Capilano bridge and Grouse Mountain, expect that to take up most of one day, but you won't have as much time as you might want in Stanley Park.

OK I'm being lazy and not scrolling through all 109 pages so if this has been asked a million times, please forgive me.

We arrive in Vancouver on July 5th on the Celebrity Millennium. We are planning on storing our luggage at Canada Place while we take a HOHO tour of Vancouver. There is still a place to store luggage right?

Also, after our HOHO tour, we need to get to the Amtrak station to catch our train to Seattle. It leaves at 5:45 and since we have luggage, we need to be there about 4ish I think. What is the quickest way for 5 people with luggage (and one set of crutches) to get from Canada Place to the train station? Cab? If so, about how much can we expect to pay?

While I have your attention: on the HOHO tour, what would be the one place we should get off the bus and see? And would they have wheelchairs available? My youngest broke his foot 2 weeks ago and was put in a cast last week (the ortho boot wasn't working as well as hoped) and is on crutches so we are trying to limit the amount of walking unless we can get a wheelchair.

Thank you all for your help!

See answers in red.

OK I'm being lazy and not scrolling through all 109 pages so if this has been asked a million times, please forgive me.

I'll forgive you - but only if you promise to learn how the Search function works for the future...

We arrive in Vancouver on July 5th on the Celebrity Millennium. We are planning on storing our luggage at Canada Place while we take a HOHO tour of Vancouver. There is still a place to store luggage right?

Yes - PriorityBaggage (NB: website still not updated - you can call them for up-to-date-pricing, but last summer it was as follows:

CANADA PLACE CRUISE TERMINAL

(604) 683-3696

Hours: 7:30am/0730 Closed: 4:00pm/1600

(Closed MONDAY, THURSDAY and closed on days no ship is docked at Canada Place Pier)

Prices:

$5.00 – Small i.e. Carry-on luggage

$6.00 – Regular i.e. Average sized suitcases, Small boxes

$7.50 – Oversized items i.e. large trunks, larges boxes and sports equipment

Prices are per piece, per day.

Also, after our HOHO tour, we need to get to the Amtrak station to catch our train to Seattle. It leaves at 5:45 and since we have luggage, we need to be there about 4ish I think. What is the quickest way for 5 people with luggage (and one set of crutches) to get from Canada Place to the train station? Cab? If so, about how much can we expect to pay?

Cab should be $10, but you might have to wait for a minivan cab (the regular cabs are Prius, no way they'll handle 5 plus luggage). Suggest you ask the bellman at the Pan Pacific to call one for you when you pick up your luggage.

While I have your attention: on the HOHO tour, what would be the one place we should get off the bus and see? And would they have wheelchairs available? My youngest broke his foot 2 weeks ago and was put in a cast last week (the ortho boot wasn't working as well as hoped) and is on crutches so we are trying to limit the amount of walking unless we can get a wheelchair.

Totem Poles and Rose Garden in Stanley Park are both very popular getting-off spots which really can't be seen properly unless you do get off. NB: these are only stops for the Trolley, the other HOHOs don't actually stop inside the park.

Thank you all for your help!

1. Capilano bridge

2. Stanley Park

4. Granville Island

5. Gastown

6. Grouse Mountain

Susan

I agree with previous poster (and thanks for that papadave, always good when folks who were here as tourists offer their perspective!).

I'd drop 3, and do the others as a North Shore day (Cap Bridge and Grouse) and a Downtown Day (Granville Island, Stanley Park) and visit Gastown on whichever day you feel up to a little wander about early evening - frankly the big tourist hits in Gastown are not many, and close together (Gassy Jack Statue, Steam Clock, and Water Street between them).

There are tons of restaurants, bars, clubs and stores in Gastown but not really much in the way of *attractions* per se. Once you've walked around a little to take in the vibe and read a few of the historic plaques, you're basically done unless you're dining in the neighbourhood. Chinatown has a great garden (Dr Sun Yat Sen, basically the most authentic Suzhou-style garden anywhere outside China), a nice photogenic arch, a few more plaques and old buildings and combined with Gastown could make up a couple of hours worth of wandering/reading/photo-taking - plus there's a night market on over the summer that's worth seeing if you're nearby.

I'd be happy to pencil in a walking route that takes in the more photogenic parts of Chinatown & Gastown while minimizing the risk of seeing anything unpleasant going on. Depending how old your teens are, and how experienced they are in large urban areas, you may want to avoid anywhere in Gastown away from Water Street - while I've never felt threatened by any of our local inhabitants I've certainly seen a few things I'd rather not have, and you may not want to have a conversation about social justice/addiction/prostitution etc. to your kids...