Question About Upgrading

Hello all! Me and my fiance are cruising on the Explorer of the Seas out of Port Liberty on the 30th of June and I had a technical question about upgrading.

We are booked in a category N inside stateroom room. There has not been any price drops for us (it's actually gone up several hundred dollars from what we booked at), but I noticed that the category X Balcony Stateroom Guarantee has opened up at $1299, just a little over what we paid for our room. I was wondering if we would be able to upgrade and pay the difference for one of these rooms, or if that would be not allowed because it is after our final payment.

We've booked through a TA, and I've emailed him with the same question, but I thought I'd see what you guys said as well.

We actually did something similar. We had a promenade room and found the balcony X guarentee after our final payment was actually less than what we originally paid. so we got the upgrade to a D2 and also got a credit for $800! So I suspect you can do the same and pay the additional charge. Good luck!!!!!

We actually did something similar. We had a promenade room and found the balcony X guarentee after our final payment was actually less than what we originally paid. so we got the upgrade to a D2 and also got a credit for $800! So I suspect you can do the same and pay the additional charge. Good luck!!!!!

WOW.. Sweet!!!

Watch the pricing... especially 2-3 months prior to sailing... IF an W, X, Y, or Z (guarantee) category comes up GRAB them... they're run of ship and are a great value. They usually come at a 50% discount off of rack. You might be able to get a balcony cabin for the same (or a little more $$) than what you have now. And sometimes they assign your cabins within days of your switching.

Congratulations.

Carolyn

Just reread your post...

Re: Explorer... GRAB that cabin...

On our sailing (July 14th) folks that booked a balcony guarantee got assigned to a D cabin and all are in decent locations.

You'll even have your assignment within days of switching (so you can always switch back if you don't like placement).

Carolyn

Well, we upgraded to guaranteed. While it wasn't for free (due to some TA issues, mainly he went on vacation and didn't tell us he was leaving), we managed to upgrade from interior catagory N cabin to balcony stateroom guaranteed for just $240 for the both of us. I'm still not happy about it completely, but that $240 is a small price to pay to have a sweet cabin on our honeymoon.

I used to be a TA person, but I think I'll do it on my own from now on. I'm an extremely travel savvy person and can pretty much beat the Agents almost everytime (especailly on airfare). I still think TA's have their place and their customers, I know people that couldn't think to travel without a TA, but it's just not for me anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

You all mentioned that you check on line often to see if some other guarantee cabin open up. Can someone tell me how did you do it? I booked for a Mediterean cruise for July on Splendour of the sea. My TA told me that there never a guarantee for Europe cruise,only assign cabin. do you know is that true? I heard that there are chance if you book for guarantee cabin, you can get upgrade for free,but in this case there won't be any chance of that? Anyone have any experience w/ upgrade for free for Europe cruise or had guarantee cabin for Europe cruise? Also, please tell me how to check on line for any cabin open up?

Thanks,

S.

not knowledgeable about euro travel but to check pricing on any cruise go to rci online and search your cruise (ship & date) just like you would if you were looking for a new cruise. current pricing will be detailed for each cabin cat. compare pricing to what they were and what you're currently booked for to see if you find a price change or a different cat. that is more appealing. usually pricing goes down just before sailiing to fill any empty cabins. keep checking. you'll probably get lucky.

Well, we upgraded to guaranteed. While it wasn't for free (due to some TA issues, mainly he went on vacation and didn't tell us he was leaving), we managed to upgrade from interior catagory N cabin to balcony stateroom guaranteed for just $240 for the both of us. I'm still not happy about it completely, but that $240 is a small price to pay to have a sweet cabin on our honeymoon.

I used to be a TA person, but I think I'll do it on my own from now on. I'm an extremely travel savvy person and can pretty much beat the Agents almost everytime (especailly on airfare). I still think TA's have their place and their customers, I know people that couldn't think to travel without a TA, but it's just not for me anymore.

Well if this TA charged you a fee to do the upgrade, that stinks. All TA's are not the same.

cruisinfanatic: I believe that weezer meant that the TA didn't jump on the new fare in time and so missed the "no fare difference" window of opportunity. The balcony guarantee rate was now $240 more than weezer had paid for their interior cabin, instead of the same price.

Archived