Carlton Hotel - New Zealand

Hi:

Does anyone know anything about the Carlton Hotel in New Zealand? We just booked it as a one night pre-stay before our Sapphire Princess cruise next March. It says it's a five star hotel, but I was reading reviews on Trip Advisor and a lot of people say it's definitely not five star. Just wondering if anyone had any more current information on it. I don't understand how a hotel can advertise as five star and then get such terrible reviews by some people.

Also, is it a good location? Does anyone know?

Thanks for all your help.

Happy Cruising.....Sparkle 10:confused:

We stayed there in February for a couple nights before our Diamond Princess cruise. It was a lovely hotel and very good service. I would happily stay there again. We have a few pictures in our review at www.thepreismans.com

If you go to the end of the review and click on the Kodak Gallery link, there are several pictures of our room in the Carlton.

Hi:

Does anyone know anything about the Carlton Hotel in New Zealand? We just booked it as a one night pre-stay before our Sapphire Princess cruise next March. It says it's a five star hotel, but I was reading reviews on Trip Advisor and a lot of people say it's definitely not five star. Just wondering if anyone had any more current information on it. I don't understand how a hotel can advertise as five star and then get such terrible reviews by some people.

Also, is it a good location? Does anyone know?

Thanks for all your help.

Happy Cruising.....Sparkle 10:confused:

I stayed there last December and thought it very good and amongst the best in Auckland. There is no universally used star rating system in Australia and New Zealand and therefore, sometimes the claimed standards need to be taken with a grain of salt. I'd rate the Carlton a 4 star by North American and European standards. The room I had was good and I had good service. I didn't eat there so can't comment on that but Auckland has great restaurants so why would you want to eat in a hotel anyway. :) Even if you are jet lagged, I recommend trying one of the local restaurants. The Carlton's location is okay but Auckland, away from the waterfront area, is a touch hilly and a good test of the legs if you want to walk.

As for Trip Advisor I put no faith whatsoever in the reviews as they have been often wrong in my experience. Many appear to be written by the innkeeper and therefore overly glowing or by a disgruntled customer who had no idea what to expect. A bit like some reports on Cruise Critic, a minor problem can make it seem like the hotel from hell! As your stay is one night, you'll be fine even if it turns out not to be the best hotel you have ever stayed in.

Archived