Walking Tour in Copenhagen

Anyone familiar with Richard Karpen's walking tours in Copenhagen? He dresses as Hans Christian Andersen and does 90 minute tours which start at the Tourist Office. However, the guide books say he does not take reservations, you just show up at 10;30 am. His tours are said to be quite good but I wonder how big the groups are. If they are more than 15-20 people its usually hard to keep up and hear. We would love to hear from anyone who has taken one of his tours.

Yes, we did this a couple of years ago. We enjoyed the morning tour so much, we had lunch and went back for his afternoon tour. I would say there were 15-20 people in the group and you have to walk right along from place to place. I don't recall that we had any difficulty hearing at the different stops on the tours. Well worthwhile if you want some personal insight into the history of the city.

My son and I took one of his tours last year. It was excellent and well worth the moderate cost. I would say we had a group of 10-12. We did not make reservations, just showed up a few minutes before the scheduled tour and bought our tickets directly from him. He's very good at stopping in spots where people can gather around him and hear; also, his voice carries well, so I wouldn't worry about that.

He also gave us excellent advice on restaurants!

We took his Romantic Copenhagen walking tour last summer. He's personable, friendly and very knowledgable. He'll take as many people as whoever shows up. He had about 8 people in our group. We had a great time and he was willing to even point us in the right direction for some GREAT danish!!! Would definitely take one of his tours again.

Another option that we used last summer was a bike tour. Our guide was extremely knowledgeable about current Danish events as well as Danish history and there were only four of us on the tour. He took us to some extra sites and we covered lots of ground throughout the various parts of the city. It was much more up close and personal than a bus and more coverage than walking. I found him on the Internet and didn't pay til we were done our tour. We did have a little trouble finding his location, but we eventally did and he waited until we found him. I will dig out his email if you want more info. By the way, he was far less expensive than the ship's bike tour and his was longer.

Archived