Am I missing something?-Copenhagen

I stumbled across the UK version of hotels.com and ended up booking 2 rooms for 4 nights at the Admiral hotel in Copenhagen for Euro 1050 ($1334 US)

The same price on the US hotel.com is approx $400 more!

This discount on the UK site seems to extend to the other listed hotels as well i.e. the Savoy-a mere Euro 717 ($910 US) but $1309 on the US site!

My reciept for the Admiral states that conversion to local currency may vary slightly but by $400? I don't think so.

So what am I missing? I made sure the web sites were from the same company and they were-same letterhead, same little guy logo. I love a bargain but am definitaly wondering what's up with such a disparity in prices!

Aileen

That's slightly more than the rate that I received from my TA and from the internet for the Admiral when booking from the US for mid May.

Perhaps they are different room types that you were being offered on the two sites? Were breakfasts included in both rates and taxes? Perhaps hotel.com US has a higher fee structure? Or maybe rooms are discounted on a different time schedule in the US versus the UK. That's what's nice and what's frustrating with booking a hotel on the internet. You can find great deals but you also have to pay up front. If something comes along later at a better rate hotels.com won't give you the lower price but with a TA you can cancel the original booking and get the lower price. Have you tried booking directly with the hotel? Sometimes they give the best price of all!

Good Luck!

Carol

event.png

re: booking outside of the U.S.

I found out (I think on Tripadvisor.com) last year that to book through a company or website that is U.S. based will almost always get you higher rate quotes. We booked our hotel in Copenhagen through Copenhagen's own tourism site and the same hotel was $100/night less that what out TA had quoted...and that included breakfast each morning. True, we did have to pre-pay (I think it was just 1 night as a deposit). So...you are not missing anything and, as we had a great experience w/absolutely no complaints, you should experience the same!

Have a great time. We just loved Copenhagen and will be back 6/07.

The web site (both US and UK) were advertising just 2 rooms left and when I booked the Admiral through the UK site, the rooms on the US site were no longer available.

As for the higher rates, we are going in June, that probably has a bit to do with it! And no, breakfast is not included. But the taxes are!

The cancellation policy is generous, we can cancel up to the day before our arrival with no penalty so I'm not too worried about losing any money is something better comes along!

Thanks for the input

-Aileen

We have always booked our own hotels contacting the hotel directly through the hotel website. Since I am a non-smoker, getting a no smoking room is very important to me. Booking through the internet does not necessarily guarantee that you will get a no smoking room. Smoke free rooms in Europe are becoming more available, but are not to the same availability as in N/A.

I like to have my confirmation letter in hand, direct from the hotel, outlining what they have promised me and at what price - never had a problem. I've found also, that you can bargain with the hotel directly...if you cut and paste an internet quote into your letter... they will always match the quote or better it.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got a bid that was accepted. Got the Marriott for $97 thru priceline. Now I need to cancel my other reservation. It seems like the Marriott is further away from Tivoli but the weather should be nice so it shouldn't matter too much. Good to walk anyway, especially after eating those pastries!!!

Archived