Tipping Tipping Tipping Questions

YellowRoseTexas

Since this is my first cruise - I want some advice on tipping...:confused:

I am wondering what to tip for excursions - for example we have -

Misty Fiords Flightseeing -

Glacier View Kayaking -

What about the White Pass railway? Tip everyone on the Train?

What about the bus drivers that take us to our destination -

what is appropriate? Thanks for any and all reply!

there's a "parallel" thread about tipping on fishing charters going on at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=343246

BQ- So did you tip Capt. Larry $20 and the naturalist $20? Was there also a deckhand on the boat, or do they just run a crew of 2 on the Orca Odysea? Or was that $20 total for everyone to share?

-Case

there's a "parallel" thread about tipping on fishing charters going on at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=343246

BQ- So did you tip Capt. Larry $20 and the naturalist $20? Was there also a deckhand on the boat, or do they just run a crew of 2 on the Orca Odysea? Or was that $20 total for everyone to share?

-Case

I put $20 in the tip jar. And gave Pam $5 for the round trip shuttle.

Typically, on a whale watch or something with a "crew", they'll share their tips with each other. If you're on a trip with a single guide, $10 pp is pretty good.

As a guide myself, i always figured that if i averaged $5 pp i was pretty happy.

BTW, (not to offend my Canadian friends...)here's a guide joke: What's the difference between a Canadian and a canoe? A canoe tips.

-Case

What's up with this "question"/"remark"? Am I sensing some unpleasantness on this board? I've noticed some defensiveness from this poster recently.

I like this board because of the comradary(sp?) and sharing of OPINIONS of experiences from past Alaska travels.

Case, unless I'm completely wrong, change the "tone" of voice! On other posts about Whale watching w/ Capt. Larry it seems that there's jealousy that he gets such great reviews. By confronting BQ it seems that you are trying to corner her with the tip issue while trying to "point out" something regarding Capt. Larrys boat staff.

Opinions?

with all due respect, your confrontational question is just as defensive as what you interpret his question to be. not a flame, just an observation.

What's up with this "question"/"remark"? Am I sensing some unpleasantness on this board? I've noticed some defensiveness from this poster recently.

I like this board because of the comradary(sp?) and sharing of OPINIONS of experiences from past Alaska travels.

Case, unless I'm completely wrong, change the "tone" of voice! On other posts about Whale watching w/ Capt. Larry it seems that there's jealousy that he gets such great reviews. By confronting BQ it seems that you are trying to corner her with the tip issue while trying to "point out" something regarding Capt. Larrys boat staff.

Opinions?

Re-reading my post, Yes, it did come across a bit confrontational which was unintentional. I think I felt upset about the way his question was posed to Budget Queen.

I still stand by the basic opinion that it's rare on this board to have anything other than pleasant sharing by tourists. Recently, I've noticed some edge to the poster and wondered while I was reading his posts if he had an axe to grind.

I could be completely off base, but, I have wondered the motivation behind some posts.

with all due respect, your confrontational question is just as defensive as what you interpret his question to be. not a flame, just an observation.

Nope... no flame or animosity intended. I knew BQ went on an Orca tour, so I was asking how she tipped on that particular tour. In the parallel thread I mentioned earlier, it's been stated that 15% of the tour price is a good base tip. There's also been some confusion as to whether that's 15% for EACH crew member, or if that's a total tip that's divided. I was asking how BQ handled that, and she answered quite effectively (and in line with what I was suggesting elsewhere...)

If there is ANY negativity coming through in my tone, I'm sorry. It's purely unintended and likely mis-read anyway. On the off chance that there are any psychoanalysts out there, I MAY be harboring some mild frustration that some businesses are allowed to post all sorts of contact info here at cc, while any mention of MY businesses or websites results in pulled threads and posts. I've tried terribly hard, however, to keep from voicing any frustration over different rules for different businesses.

Don't (intentionally or not) read any tone into my posts... for the most part I'm not to be taken completely seriously, other than the facts that I post are accurate and from a local's (first hand) point of view.

-Case

BQ- how much did you tip Keith on the bear watch tour. I always find it harder to figure out when the owner is the tour guide too.

Thanks

The same, $20. I don't care WHO the owner is, if I enjoy a tour, I tip.

Well, I can only say I got a great deal of information from BQ and CCC and everyone else. So with that in hand - I will be sailing on the Spirit for the first time May 17 and enjoy the experience and knowledge I have received from this board! :D Thanks!

Well, I can only say I got a great deal of information from BQ and CCC and everyone else. So with that in hand - I will be sailing on the Spirit for the first time May 17 and enjoy the experience and knowledge I have received from this board! :D Thanks!

Yes, what we Alaska newbies do without ALL of the imput from experienced tourists and the local citizen's and business owners?

Many thanks to the year-round effort given to this board!

Eileen

As I'm relatively new to cc, it would be very interesting if any of you who came on any of my excursions would point yourselves out or somehow let me know you're a cc reader. (Maybe a note attached to that big tip you'll leave at the end of a tour? :D )

-Case

As I'm relatively new to cc, it would be very interesting if any of you who came on any of my excursions would point yourselves out or somehow let me know you're a cc reader. (Maybe a note attached to that big tip you'll leave at the end of a tour? :D )

-Case

What is your business?

If I'm taking my kids on the helicopter/dogsled excursion and have paid $1852 for the 4 of us, am I correct in assuming that I should tip 15% of the total for over $275? Who would get it, the helicopter pilot or the dogsled person, or split?

What is your business?

I run a charter boat (whale watching, fishing, sightseeing, scuba diving, etc.) that was recently voted "Juneau's Favorite Adventure Tour!" I'm actually not allowed to advertise here, so I'll refrain from mentioning the company name - don't want to have this informative thread pulled! :cool:

I'm here on cc because I was born and raised here, and I just want to help folks enjoy my home...

-Case

If I'm taking my kids on the helicopter/dogsled excursion and have paid $1852 for the 4 of us' date=' am I correct in assuming that I should tip 15% of the total for over $275? Who would get it, the helicopter pilot or the dogsled person, or split?[/quote']

If you spent $1852 on my boat, I would get the message that you were thrilled with the tour if you left $150 or $200 behind, and that would be shared by me and my deckhand.

I don't know the tipping practices for the team helicopter tours (if you're just flightseeing, tip the pilot)... in this case we've got a pilot, musher, and maybe a milkbone for the dogs? :D I wouldn't hesitate to ask - either at the tour checkin (there will be someone recording names, weights, fitting boots, etc.) and see what they say... or you can ask the pilot. If they tell you they share all tips, you can just tip the pilot at the end of the tour. If each "host" is tipped separately, you'll have to figure out who made the trip for you.

Bottom line is have fun, and be sure to let the folks that make it happen know that you enjoyed (or not) what they had to offer. The worst feeling (for me) is when folks leave a tour sending mixed signals... no tip tells me I didn't meet their expectations, but a smile on their face tells me they had a good time... don't be afraid to let operators know what you did or didn't like. There's always room for improvement!

-Case

>>it's been stated that 15% of the tour price is a good base tip. <<

If that was even close to being the case, I'd have retired years ago and be living in a huge log home instead of a tiny cabin. The "industry standard" for guides taking groups on multi-day trips is $3-$3.50 per person per day - higher on day trips, but not that much higher.

Murray

>>it's been stated that 15% of the tour price is a good base tip. <<

If that was even close to being the case, I'd have retired years ago and be living in a huge log home instead of a tiny cabin. The "industry standard" for guides taking groups on multi-day trips is $3-$3.50 per person per day - higher on day trips, but not that much higher.

Murray

Murray-

Perhaps different industries or different types of guides have different standards? When I'm traveling, I certainly expect to tip MUCH more to my fishing guide or helo pilot than I would give to the girl making my morning coffee or serving lunch... I guess I don't understand how a flat "per day" tip can relate to the individual tours folks take while cruising. Does the person who guided you whale watching get $3, AND the person who served your lunch get $3 and the captain of your cruise ship get $3? Isn't there a difference in the services provided by each of those folks? Or is that $3 per day, so the whale guide gets $1, coffe house chick gets $1 and ship captain $1?

There's a volume issue to consider too (from the guide's point of view.) I take 6 passengers on my boat...if each one tipped $20 that's $120 - not bad for a 1/2 day trip. If each passenger on the Allen Marine boats tipped $20, they would have $6000 in tips...which does seem awfully high to me.

Wow... I've been in the service business for over 30 years, and now even I'm confused!

-Case

>>I've been in the service business for over 30 years, and now even I'm confused!<<

I guess that's the reason the subject comes up so often - there's no formula that works. You tip at whatever value the trip was to you. I doubt that any guide or pilot averages anything close to the tips that a cocktail waitress does - is that reasonable? My tips have run the range from $0-50 for the same small job, from $300-1600+ for the same 10-day trip, and the size of the group, whether 15 or 45, isn't the main factor by any means. Having said that, the size of the group I'm in is a huge factor in how I determine what to tip.

Murray

(p.s. - only 3 months until I retire - and then have I got touring/tipping to do! :D )

Here is a summary of how DW and I tipped during our first (just completed) Alaska cruise:

Bus ride from pier to Tatoosh Island departure point - $10.00 for the driver. She was a very nice, talkative lady who gave a running commentary during our drive. Answered questions and told about herself.

For the excursion we left $40.00 in the jar on the "beach". There were 6 kayaks and 4 guides. We felt like we had our own personal tour guide. A wonderful experience.

Our Northstar Trekking Flight - Glacier hike was cancelled due to bad weather, low ceiling and snow on the glacier. So no tipping there. However, we used the savings and time to walk around Juneau and spent almost as much as the excursion would have cost. We did do the Mt. Roberts tramway and gave the kid (driver) in the gondola $5.00 He looked like he could use it and was very thankful for it.

On the Railway - snowshoe adventure in Skagway, we didn't tip the shuttle driver because he was also a guide. We didn't leave a tip for the train ride as we had no contact with train staff except for the conductor when he took the tickets from our guides. We did hand $40.00 to the guides when we arrived back at the train station and shook hands and said our good-byes. The snowshoe adventure was another excursion where the guides did all they could to make us feel like they were there for us. We stopped at trees, grasses, molds, open areas to discuss topography and any other spot where us tourists asked questions about the most simple of things.

In each of the tours, DW and I felt that the staff had more than earned the tips we left.

So, leave the men and women something. If you don't tip because you didn't like the excursion or staff, tell someone so they can take it into consideration and make changes deemed necessary.

I run a charter boat (whale watching, fishing, sightseeing, scuba diving, etc.) that was recently voted "Juneau's Favorite Adventure Tour!" I'm actually not allowed to advertise here, so I'll refrain from mentioning the company name - don't want to have this informative thread pulled! :cool:

I'm here on cc because I was born and raised here, and I just want to help folks enjoy my home...

-Case

And the Red Dog Saloon????

...I guess that's the reason the subject comes up so often - there's no formula that works. You tip at whatever value the trip was to you....

Can I get that engraved on a plaque to immortalize it for all time? There's your advice folks... As far as I'm concerned, that's the "end-all" answer to the eternal question on tipping!!!

Thanks Murray... I couldn't have said it better myself.

Red Dog Saloon servers can make as much as a fishing guide or pilot in a day, but I'd say that's only an exceptional server doing a super job making their customers feel at home and having a good time.

mel- it sounds like you had a good time, and tipped according to the value of the service. That's the way I think it should be. Everyone be sure to take that advice too... if something isn't to your liking... say something! If you didn't get what was promised (canceled helicopter or something) of course there's no tip expected...

Always remember to have fun...sometimes I have more fun NOT spending lots of money, and sometimes it's great fun to throw a little cash around...

-Case

Archived