Kids and motion sickness medicine

I'm going on Expolore to Bermuda in June. This will be the first cruise for my kids, 10 & 13. They have done the ferry from Canada to NY and were fine, but I hear it sometimes gets rough going to Bermuda.

My question is what do you suggest for medication. What has worked for your kids, how much do you give and what if any reactions they might have had. When it comes to medicine, I really hesitate giving them anything unless it's absolutely necessary. I'm really paranoid about allergic reactions, but I don't want them seasick either. Please let me know what worked for you.

Thanks,

Andrea

I did the Western Caribbean with my kids and they were fine on the ship. We did an excursion in a small boat in wavy water and my 6 year old started getting sea sick. We gave her a children's non-drowsy dramamine and she felt better after a while. Now that I know she is prone to sea sickness I will give it to her beforehand or just avoid small boats. I purchased the shildren's dramamine at my local Target and it was behind the pharmacy counter although you don't need a presription for it.

Check with your pediatrician, but typically the "non-drowsy" medication is meclizine, sold under the brand name Bonine and Non-Drowsy Dramamine...and it is labeled as for 12 AND OVER only. For kids, regular Dramamine (that can make you drowsy) is all that is labeled for use under age 12.

I've used Bonine for our older one starting from when she was 11. Check with your own doctor, but we give her 1/2 tablet at night and she's fine for the next 24 hours. I'm not a big advocate of unnecessary medication and we've given it to her only because she has a very proven case of motion sickness. With my younger one I just wait to see if he needs anything, but have not had to use even though he's cruise several times, both in calm and rougher condidtions. People say the drugs work better if you give them ahead of time, but I find that even after we start sailing and my daughter starts complaining, it will still help her.

We were on Brilliance 1 1/2 yrs ago on New Years. DD (8) was very ill. Called the nurse (wanted her to be seen by MD -- refused to interupt his evening) from Guest Services and was told to just give her bonine.

Guess it's ok for them, I just didn't give it to her since she was on very high dosage of antibiotics (for prior ailment).

Carolyn

My pediatrician said Benadryl works well. She said it had the same type ingredient. She said she tended to stay away from Dramamine b/c of the drowsy effect. Benadryl can make children drowsy too but I think to a lesser degree.

Check with your pediatrician, but typically the "non-drowsy" medication is meclizine, sold under the brand name Bonine and Non-Drowsy Dramamine...and it is labeled as for 12 AND OVER only. For kids, regular Dramamine (that can make you drowsy) is all that is labeled for use under age 12.

Yes, you are right. I checked my package and it is indeed the "regular" dramamine for children and not non-drowsy. They are orange chewable tablets.

Benedryl and Dramamine are EXACTLY the same thing.....Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride. It's the main ingredient in Tylenol PM as the sleep aid. So beware taking either if you want to stay awake:eek: !

Bonine and Dramamine II are Meclazine. It's still can cause drowsiness in some people, but tends to be "Less Drowsy" then the previous formulas (it does for me....so I take 1/2 tablet each night before going to bed. I sleep soooooo good! Don't know if it's the motion, or the pills, but I wake up well rested:) !)

I bought Ginger capsules to try on our next cruise. Hopefully that works as well for me as some of the people that have recommended it here.

Be sure to contact your own doctor before giving your child any of these medications. Only your own doctor knows what's best for your child.

Take Care,

Jaime

you can get peppermint candy for them to chew on. this is a old remendy

for motion and air sickness i learn from my doctor when they had recalled the patches. because i do get motion sickness. work great and his natural. you can go to dollar stores and get a whole bag of them

you can get peppermint candy for them to chew on. this is a old remendy

for motion and air sickness i learn from my doctor when they had recalled the patches. because i do get motion sickness. work great and his natural. you can go to dollar stores and get a whole bag of them

I sucked on peppermint candy when I was pregnant. I get really sick and nautious during pregnancy, and the peppermint candy worked like a charm.

I was at Target the other day and bought enough Bonine for our family of 4 to take next month on our 7-day on the Mariner. Our girls were on a 3 or 4 day a few years ago with my parents (I think it was Majesty) and neither of them took anything or got sick. I'm just concerned because of an episode I had on Lake Michigan about 15 years ago, on a small boat, in very rough water. I know the Mariner's a big ship and that can make all the difference. In the 70's we would always vacation in Florida and go out in the ocean on drift fishing boats, and I never got sick. Better to be safe than sorry, I plan on taking the Bonine day before we sail, but I have enough to cover the entire family if need be. I would be so bummed if I got sick on a vacation that I've looked so forward to for the past year!

My oldest (8 yrs old) gets extrememly sea sick the first 1-2 days at sea - before she gets her sea legs. I have found that fresh apples help. We also bring along children's chewable Pepto Bismal for nausea. I also found some ginger gum (made by the SeaBands people) that worked like a charm for her. I tasted some and thought it was gross but she liked it and it helped her upset stomach. She is quite small for her age so I'm really compulsive and avoid medicines (as she is about 10-15lbs under what the weight limits are for her age).

We are sailing on the west coast in December for the first time. I've heard it gets pretty rocky over there. I'm going to call her doc and see if she suggests anything. If she can't take anything, I'll stick with the apples, gum and Pepto.

Archived