Venice Pier to San Mark's Square Question

We are going to be in Venice for a day and a half and have arranged private tours both days. The tour guide suggests meeting at San Mark's. What is the usual cost to get from the pier to San Mark's via water taxi? Is there a better way? The tour operator will pick up at the ship both days for about 20 Euros each.

Thanks for the information.

Pat

Do not even consider using water taxis. They are very expensive and it can easily cost you $35+ to go a very short distance. Your ship will probably provide water shuttle service from your pier to the pier in front of St Marks Square. Each line has their own method, but some charge a few dollars per trip or a bit more for unlimited transport. You can also walk over to P. Roma and pick-up a Vaporetto (water bus) which would take you around the island to St Marks Square. Venice is a very easy place to explore on your own, and the main transport is on your feet and using Vaporettos.

Hank

Hank,

Thanks for the information. I think I meant water bus rather thaan taxi. I called Royal Caribbean and the lady said they do not provide shuttles, which surprises me. Can you approximate the cost of a water taxi?

Thanks.

Pat

Pat,

We used the vaporetto in July 2003. The cost at that time was 22 Euros each for a three day pass (unlimited use). If you walk from the dock, out through the gates, head up an incline to the road (the causeway comes in from the left). turn right and go a few hundred yards to th p. Roma vaporetto stop on the left. You can buy passes in the ticket office. This appeared to be a major ticket office, near to the parking areas.

Try to get into the front seats for one of the best deals in tourism today - riding the Grand Canal in a vaporetto.

We also got a real nice beer at the cafe/bar adjoining the P.Roma stop. The cafe was frequented by the water bus drivers and line handler/gate keepers. Maybe it was the heat or just the fact that it was our final stop, before the ship left this fantastic city, that made it a very enjoyable half hour just watching the canal and the people and vaporettos coming and going. Great memories.

I think the Vaporetto cost is still 3.50 Euros for one way, 6 euros for round trip and 10.50 eurs for a single day pass and 22 Euros for a 3 day pass. My wife and I truly love to walk, and we only use the Vaporettos when its too darn far. With a decent street map, you can find shortcuts through the streets to cut your distance. Venice really needs to be experienced on foot since the small streets are full of shops, cafes, etc. We also love to go out to Burano to escape the heavy day crowds in Venice. I must admit to surprise the RCL no longer runs shuttles. In fact, I would expect them to run shuttle service for 2 or 3 times the Vaporetto rates (this is the new RCL). Keep in mind that we are Diamond C&A, but I still have problems with a cruise line that would mark-up some wines in excess of 600%, and charge for a hamburger (Johnny Rockets). For us, its become a love/hate kind of thing.

Hank

Hank

We are on Brilliance. Thanks to a previous post, I looked at the Venice pier and we are scheduled at a "berth" number 18 nearest to Piazzale Roma. I can't tell how far that is from San Marco. Any idea?

Thanks.

Pat

As Suekay some RCI ships do moor along the Venic "front" & not go all way round to marritima. If you go to vtp site quoted by Mike you can check cruise ship docking schedule, it was accurate for our westerdam trip.

If you are in marritima the Aililaguna service runs half hourly from top of dock to St Marks for 3.50E each way, cheaper than the vaporetto ticket down grand canal...but having said that you must not miss the vaporetto ride down the grand canal, it really is magical

czar22

Which cruise line are you on? Princess provides unlimited service to and from the ship for $10PP

1952 - Excalibur (freighter)

1972 - Song of Norway, Caribbean

1980 - Hawaii American Curise line, Tahiti

09/01/2002 - Veendam, Alaska

05/29/2003 - Pacific Princess, Alaska

11/26/2003 - Star Princess, Australia/New Zealand

5/28/2004 - Star Princess, Venice to Barcelona

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;05;28;21;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

11/06/2004 - Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Mike, the AAA guide mentions two different Alilguna shuttles, one which goes to Murano first, and the other that takes a more direct route, and doesn't stop at Murano. Is the 20 minute time the more direct shuttle? We just purchased a 3-day Venice card, and included the Alilguna shuttle, as we're going in a day ahead of time and will be there from Tue to sail away on Thu afternoon.

Mike and Mary

7/8 Venice to Barcelona - Retirement Reward

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;7;8;15;0;00&timezone=GMT+0200

Now it's starting to come together. I have decided for several reasons (primarily pay toilets) to purchase the Venice Card, but i thought I saw that the Alilguna was excluded. Glad to see it's not. I looked at the schedule on their site and must be doing something wrong because it appears thaat the last run is about 4:40 in the qfternoon. Can one of you kind people give me a push in the right direction?

Thanks!

Pat

We were in Venice early April on Star Princess, when I called them (Star) they said they did not have a shuttle. When we boarded our ship in Berth 18 they actually did have shuttles for $10 per day. It was the Alilaguna. They apparently rented them for their service. You may get lucky and have a shuttle after all. Hard to imagine a ship would not provide a shuttle?

Also on the Alilaguna, it seems they sort of do what they want, when they want. I had emailed and called them to make sure there was service from airport to pier and was assured they do on week ends only. When we arrived at airport they said they were not running from there that day. Then when we saw that Princess had rented the shuttles we assumed that was why.

Mike,

Thanks Mike for those great websites. I have reserved our Venice Pass for October!! I believe in being organized! It is 29Euros for the three day without museums. As we have been to Venice a number of times previously we didn't need the extras.

We love walking the streets of Venice, but we also like to go out to Burano and also we may get tired feet along the way so it is great just to have the pass.

Jennie

The next cruise is always the best!

3RD OCTOBER, 2004 PRINSENDAM

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;03;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pjtiern:

Now it's starting to come together. I have decided for several reasons (primarily pay toilets) to purchase the Venice Card, but i thought I saw that the Alilguna was excluded. Glad to see it's not. I looked at the schedule on their site and must be doing something wrong because it appears thaat the last run is about 4:40 in the qfternoon. Can one of you kind people give me a push in the right direction?

Thanks!

Pat<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you order your Venice card (We did online), you have to specify if you want the Alilguna shuttle or not. Doesn't make a difference in the price, but you have to specify that you want it.

Mike and Mary

7/8 Venice to Barcelona - Retirement Reward

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;7;8;15;0;00&timezone=GMT+0200

I have a question regarding our transport from our hotel back to the airport.

We are arriving in Venice by ship, staying 3 nights and then flying to Paris.

We thought of getting a water taxi from our Hotel - on the Grand Lagoon - to Piazza Roma and then either getting a land taxi or the airport water bus (is this the Alilaguna?) Which would be the most convenient. We will have 2 suitcases and 2 pices of hand luggage. Also can anyone help with the cost of the land taxi.

Even though we have been to Venice before we have left either by train or car.

Thanks for any input

Jennie

The next cruise is always the best!

3RD OCTOBER, 2004 PRINSENDAM

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;03;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Hi Jennie,

The Alilaguna WWW.alilaguna.it Airport Service departs from St Marks Sq and is the more scenic way to get to the airport especially if you are not in a rush and you have fine weather. A land taxi from Piazzale Roma is the quickest and most convenient way of getting to the Airport.

WWW.actv.it wil give you details of the regular water buses from or near your hotel to Piazzale Roma.

Mike

Jennie if you do go the piazza Roma way there is a blue bus every 30 mins most of the day & costs only 3E per person baggage included, we just used this route may7th & found it good. there is also a baggage depository in piazza Roma for 3E per bag

czar22

Archived