Dry Dock Grand Princess

TEXASMUNK

I was on the Grand last month and my room steward indicated to me he was going home to his family when the Grand dry docked (he thought) sometime in september for 13 days. He was very excited about it so it seemed accurate to me.

I just checked the Princess Cruise finder and the Grand is scheduled for three 12-day cruises in September: 9/1, 9/13 and 9/25, so it's not September. There's only one cruise scheduled for October, a 12-day cruise on 10/7. There are three 12-day cruises scheduled for November, starting on Nov. 1. So, by deduction, the Grand will be going into drydock on October 17 and sailing again two weeks later, on November 1.

Does anyone know what they are planning to do during the Dry Dock? Should be expect new carpet and such?

I would put my money on a balcony sprinkler system similar to the once just installed on the Star as one of the renovations....:cool:

while that is very practical and I completely understand, that would not be nearly as much fun as new carpet or possibly upgraded bedding. :rolleyes:

We sail Grand Princess in November and then again in April. Wonder if by April, I will be able to come back and post that she is in terrible condition, after all, she will be "6 months old" by then and we all know how much folks complain about things. Only kidding!!! Actually we we on her this past December and she looked awesome...when I heard about the drydock I was kinda surprised...saw no wear n' tear anywhere. Outstanding condition.

All I know is I am bummed out having to wait another 6 months for our next cruise!

PS...Grand Princess Friends and Family Cruise next April!!!!!! Join us!!!!!

We ain't friends.....YET!!!! But Grand Princess can change that!

According to that health website that lists each ship's health inspection results (sorry I am at work and don't have the site to share right now) some of the dry dock work will be repairs or changes in the kitchen or food areas to bring the ship up to code.

Someone on another thread posted that there is quite a bit of painting and repairs going on right now--whoever it was that posted that was "live aboard" the Grand Princess.

We sail November 25th, so we are just a few cruises after the ship comes out of dry dock. I will definitely post a review.

--Susan

Two weeks is a long time for a dry dock, so I would expect some updates and fix-ups. Generally, work that requires the ship to be out of the water is done in dry dock so they'll probably clean and repaint the bottom, inspect the external mechanics, etc. Carpet replacement, painting, etc. is generally done on a regular basis, even during your cruise so that wouldn't be a reason for a wet or drydock. It'll be interesting to see what they have planned (other than the balcony updates and sprinkler system.)

Archived