Is it "worth it" to fly to San Juan for Southern Itin?

We've sailed Western Carib. 4 times, sailed Eastern twice, and Southern from FLL once. To be honest, I'm up for some new and exciting ports, Antigua, Aruba, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, antwhere that we haven't already sailed!!

In your opinion, is it worth the added time/expense/general pain in the rear factor to fly to San Juan to sail the more exotic itinerary, or were these ports comparable to the standard Eastern Route? Thanks!

I don't reaaly understand what you are asking. Is it worth the extra time/expense/general pain. What is the difference between flying into San Juan then Miami from Rochester NY 1hr tops? The price is similar, the airport experience isn't any different then any other. So what are you asking? The Southern route is great if your bored with the others there really is no difference flying into San Juan then Miami.

Just take a 10 day cruise out of FLORIDA and avoid the extra expense and long flight!

From Newark NJ/NY my airfare direct non stop to PR Presidents week was 230.00 what is so expensive about that, same as Florida maybe even cheaper.

We have done the Eastern Carib before. We were looking for a sailing on RCI during the period of April-May. The cruise price was attractive and the round trip air on American was surprisingly affordable at $400. So, spent the savings on a balcony & nice htels in San Juan. The surprise was how expensive hotels are in San Juan.

We will be going on our first out of San Juan also, we will be sailing 10/7/2007, we already booked our airfare and we are going there a day early. I hate flying (only flew twice), but what I've heard was the southern caribbean is beautiful, I am excited but a little bit scared about the flying part, I guess a few bloody mary's will calm my nerves:D

I will add to this old post to check what is now available out of Cape Liberty, NJ on Explorer. Some of the itineraries hit Southern Caribbean ports. The upstate NY cruisers can drive to the port.

Soon we will know what is available for 2008.

It is certainly worth it IMHO. I've only sailed out of Bayonne and San Juan and the San Juan experience alone was worth the airfare. The southern ports that we visited Barbados, Tortola, St Lucia, St Thomas and St Martin were all sooo beautiful, not to mention the shopping in St Thomas.

In St Thomas we took and island tour and beach stop with Godfrey of Godfrey tours-apparently well known on these boards but he approached us in the outdoor market. He was very knowledgeable and professional, I would certainly reccomend him.

I especially have fond memories of the sweeping views of the harbor and ocean from the high point on St Thomas and the picturesque view of a quaint fishing village on St Lucia. From Tortola we took a ferry to Virgin Gorda and visited the Baths Beautiful island, beautiful views of The Carib.sea on one side and the Atlantic on the other-during our tour. I've never seen a post card that was more breathtaking.

Notice that I haven't mentioned my more recent and longer w-carrib cruise yet! Enjoy whatever you decide!!

Just take a 10 day cruise out of FLORIDA and avoid the extra expense and long flight!

Sometimes that isn't an option. I wanted to do the southern itinerary but can only go a certain week. Plus I can only take a week, not a 10 day, so...

We will be going on our first out of San Juan also, we will be sailing 10/7/2007, we already booked our airfare and we are going there a day early. I hate flying (only flew twice), but what I've heard was the southern caribbean is beautiful, I am excited but a little bit scared about the flying part, I guess a few bloody mary's will calm my nerves:D

I signed your petition, I am also not a fan of flying my Doctor just gave me Zanax when we went to PR a few weeks ago for the AOS and I tried that but I still dont like flying. We are however taking a cruise out of Bayonne to the Southern Caribbean this coming Xmas and New Years and I have a 15 minute drive to get on the cruise. That is cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you look at my signature, you will see that I like sailing out of San Juan. Would have signed up for a Western itinerary next year for something different, but couldn't resist joining friends on another Southern route. Flight was less this year than previous years. Will be interested to see how high it will go for next year. :)

Jen

We've sailed Western Carib. 4 times, sailed Eastern twice, and Southern from FLL once. To be honest, I'm up for some new and exciting ports, Antigua, Aruba, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, antwhere that we haven't already sailed!!

In your opinion, is it worth the added time/expense/general pain in the rear factor to fly to San Juan to sail the more exotic itinerary, or were these ports comparable to the standard Eastern Route? Thanks!

It's a long flight coming home.......I'm glad we have done it again, but for me....I prefer the Eastern. I have not been to St Lucia or St Kitts.

going to san juan in november for the sourthern cruise on the serenade i see alot of you have been on the destiny was going to go on that one then choice serenade did we make a mistake?? we got the air i think was cheap for a family of 4 it was 387 pp from ohio only ever been to the bahamas so i think this will be a very big change for us cant wait

From Newark NJ/NY my airfare direct non stop to PR Presidents week was 230.00 what is so expensive about that, same as Florida maybe even cheaper.

Which airline???? I want to do this in 08. When did you book?

(Not STILL posting to this thread -- this was my first here -- but the topic is relevant and the current postings are too. So many people post that someone should do a search before they post a new thread. Now you're saying to just start a new thread. What's the big deal? And, what's the difference?)

Just 8 weeks ago we flew from Chicago to San Juan. It was very worth it and actually cheaper to fly here than to Florida. Our flights were $213 pp round trip non-stop. (booked through Expedia 3 months earlier). We love the port at San Juan. It is very clean and well kept! We went on Crown Princess to the Southern Carib. It was awesome! In fact we are doing RCCL AOS next Jan to visit some of the islands we missed. We did; Barbados, Antiqua, St. Lucia, St. Martin, and St. Thomas all in 7 days. We had 1 day at sea. We like being able to go to as many islands as we can.

SOUTHERN ALL THE WAY!

Can someone explain to me why people are responding to a thread that is about 30 months old. I know the OP has moved way beyond this thread, so why the heck are you people posting to it? Jeez!!!!!:eek:

jc

Can someone explain to me why you are so freaking rude?!?

Maybe this will help someone else out who might have the same questions. There was NO need for you to be so nasty about it. Besides, what difference does it make to you if someone replies to a 30 month old thread? Jeeze!!!!! :eek:

Which airline???? I want to do this in 08. When did you book?

(Not STILL posting to this thread -- this was my first here -- but the topic is relevant and the current postings are too. So many people post that someone should do a search before they post a new thread. Now you're saying to just start a new thread. What's the big deal? And, what's the difference?)

I booked Continental out of Newark to San Juan the absoulute first day they released the airfare, which I think is about 340 days in advance the next day it went up like 50.00 a ticket I guess it is priced by demand. I should also add that I flew in on a Friday pre cruise 2 nights and left on a Monday 1 post night it was cheaper for the air fare per person and we got really good hotel rates so it paid to do this.

And to Mr Jeeeeeeeeeeeez why did you even read the threads if you knew it were so old. Aparently there are still questions that need or want to be asked... Go take a chill pill

Can someone explain to me why you are so freaking rude?!?

Maybe this will help someone else out who might have the same questions. There was NO need for you to be so nasty about it. Besides, what difference does it make to you if someone replies to a 30 month old thread? Jeeze!!!!! :eek:

Thank you! Couldn't have said it better!

We are flying to San Juan this November for a cruise - for us airfare was about $150pp more expensive than flying to Miami. We felt it was totally worth it.

Can't vouch for airfares from your area, but they are only a few dollars more to San Juan from here. We loved it so much that we are going back for our Thanksgiving cruise on Serenade. We went down 2 days early last time. Going down 1 day early this time and staying 2 days after the cruise.

So much to do. Go to the Bacardi factory if you get time! You get 2 free drinks.

I have been checking airfare from OHio to San Juan for months and the cheapest that I

have found is $700pp. Where can I find better airfare?

We've cruised out of San Juan for most of our cruises, and generally find that even with airfare we do better flying to San Juan than taking a 8-11 day out of Florida. We've done 3 different Southern itineraries on several different ships. Our favorite is the St Lucia-Barbados-Antigua itinerary.

Cruzn Buckeye, we actually got really good rates for next January's cruise. We're flying Cleveland-San Juan and then doing a stop in Orlando and returning to Cleveland on the way home - for just over $300 per person. Got those rates several weeks ago, but I know they've gone up since. Keep looking, at every airport you'd consider driving to. We live in suburban Cleveland, but last year drove to Pittsburgh, because that's where we found the best fares.

Jodi

going to san juan in november for the sourthern cruise on the serenade i see alot of you have been on the destiny was going to go on that one then choice serenade did we make a mistake?? we got the air i think was cheap for a family of 4 it was 387 pp from ohio only ever been to the bahamas so i think this will be a very big change for us cant wait

You definitely did NOT make a mistake! You'll love Serenade! We've cruised her 3 times, and keep going back :D If you do a search, you'll find that just about everyone who goes on her loves it.

Jodi

Absolutely...flights are reasonable...hotels are reasonable...you can get way down to Venezuela area going out of San Juan...I'm out of Ft. Lauderdale this time and it has been a hassle...probably will always go out of San Juan from now on....

Archived