Would you live on a Cruise Condo?

I would live on a ship...  

81 members have voted

1. 1. I would live on a ship...

• Would not live on a cruise condo, even on a half year share
    • @ $250K for 150 sq ft cabin & $3500 month/cabin incl food on refurbished ship
    • @$350K for 300 sq ft cabin & $3800 month/cabin incl food on refurbished ship
    • @$600K for 600 sq ft cabin & $4500 month/cabin incl food on refurbished ship
    • @$800K for 800 sq ft cabin w/ veranda & $5000 month/cabin incl food on refurb
    • @$1.5M for 800 sq ft cabin & $5000 month/cabin w/o food like ResidenSea on new ship

I ran this poll on several of the other lines and wanted to run it on several others. I have reworked the numbers a little based on previous responses. Note that the monthly fees are per cabin, not per person. And it would have an ever-changing itinerary, with a good sprinkling of US ports to allow for easy land access if need be. I plan on getting all the surveys together in a summary and publish it when done. Please feel free to expand and explain why you chose what you chose. I found the other responses intriguing.

Tips would be included, and not expected. However, if one would like to tip extra they could.

Balcony is included on one of the options. The refurb of some of these ships could allow for that on some cabins, but not all. And that would add to the cost of a cabin. House wine and tap beer would be included, and all bar drinks would be done at a competitive rate with land (like a Friday's or there abouts.)

If I had the $$, absolutely. Except, I'd have to wait a few more years until my kids are grown and gone!

I'm probably one of the few people who doesn't necessarily like to come home from a vacation, I'm never anxious for it to end.

I dream about travel, but I don't care for the business end of it (flying, shuttles, hotels, packing and re-packing). To be able to stay onboard a ship and travel the world would be awesome.

I did expect a yes or no answer to your poll, though, not just what price a person is willing to spend. My vote would be yes, a thousand times YES!

My family could come and join us for segments of the cruise, say at holidays.

Okay here are my figures...... ( I did not vote)

$250,000.00 divided by $1500.00 (750.00 X 2) equals @ 167 cruises

that equals @ 3 years worth of back to back to back to back .....cruises.

AND ALL YOUR FOOD IS INCLUDED AS WELL AS TIPS IN THAT PRICE (750.) IF YOU ARE LOOKING AT A WELL PRICED OCEANVIEW (no balcony) so none of that 3500./month fees....

If you take 3 years of 3500.00 per month fees (36 mo X 3500.00) = 126,000.00 = another 84 cruises..... that include food and tips......

so take the lowest option and just put it toward cruises you get almost 5 years of constant cruising.....

I think I would have seen pretty much everything that I would want to by ship.....

Agreed on the numbers (although I don't think you could get that rate more than about 9 months a year.) But after 5 years, you have? I have my cabin that I turn around and if things go well sell at a profit!!! It's all a dream, I just had a different ending :)

Wow. $1.5M for 800 sq. ft. plus $5,000/mo.? I guess that would be worth it if I planned to use the condo for at least five or six months of the year. But with my schedule as it is now, I'd be lucky to use it for one month, let alone two or more.

I was nearly in tears last year when I spent 2.6M on my first property in Dallas. I don't think I could bring myself do to it again anytime soon, especially on vacation property.

My question would be, where I would get the money to live there and not be broke when I left? (Like I do on a typical cruise anyway!) Most jobs that do not require you to be in an office would require a level of communication that would be not possible (or very expensive) on a cruise ships. Most cell phones do not work and internet would be expensive (i'm assuming). If i was not paying for it, I would certainly take the offer, but I figure this opportunity will be for the few rich people that can afford not to have a regular full time job.

I will respond one last time. Someone complained because I posted this survey on several threads.

Actually, Internet cost on a ship does not have to be so expensive it is prohibitive. I believe that the charges for internet access could be maintained if people were billed by the minute and bandwidth (to keep people from using up to much,) but the charge would largely add up to maybe twice what land based internet would be. And phone service would be VoIP, adding up to less that what most people pay right now. The real problem would be reliability, much like the services on existing cruise ships. The technology is improving every day.

Archived