How many pictures do you shoot?

How many pictures do you shoot (per week)?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. How many pictures do you shoot (per week)?

• Less than 100
    • 100-199
    • 200-499
    • 500-699
    • 700-999
    • Over 1000

First thing they taught in my digital photography class was to take many photos. You do not pay per print, so reason not to take lots of photos. This way you will have plenty of choices for the best photos out of your collection.

I thought the poll question was very vague... It sounded like you wanted how many takes photos in a random week versus in a week on a cruise. I totally messed up your results... lol.... You might rephrase it..... I always take a 512 with me.... And on Hawaii, I took 2 of them.... I had over 600 photos when I got home.... And printed about 400 of those... So take lot's of memory.... It never hurts......:p

I had over 600 photos when I got home.... And printed about 400 of those... So take lot's of memory.... It never hurts.

Agree with you completely. Since digital has come along, I've printed fewer and fewer pictures. I think that's a mistake I going to start correcting. I enjoy having a big box of old photos in the house. They'll be around for years longer than this computer, and my backups.

Yes, I was thinking of pictures on a cruise week. Of course, some folks take a 1,000 shots every week. :D

I just got back from a week on AOS and took about 200 photos myself, my wife took another 100. Plus another 1.5hrs of video. My wife takes the "people" pictures and I do the "scenery" and "underwater" stuff. Works out pretty well.

I probably took fewer pictures than usual this cruise since we had our infant son with us and it wasn't as easy to shoot pictures this time. On our honeymoon in Bora Bora I took well over 400, would have been even more but my underwater camera broke 3 days into the trip.

• 2 weeks later...

For our cruise in 1996 we didn't have a digital, we took about 200 pictures with our 35mm, and then a roll of about 20 with a purchased underwater disposable (for our fun with stingrays in Grand Cayman).

Last year a week in Disney World and I shot nearly 400 with the digital. Printed a couple dozen, posted all on Shutterfly (where you can store pictures, and order pictures as well), to share with my friends and family.

I can't imagine how many i'll take on a 12 day cruise, but it will be fun to find out!! :p

• 3 weeks later...
4000? You're my hero! That's great!

That was just 1000 each (well, a couple of us actually took over 1000 each).:o My husband and I picked about 200 of our 2000+ to print. Then we took those and the rest of the best and put them on CDs for friends. It took 2 CDs for them all. The previous year we only took about 500 pictures but we only discarded a few of them. I guess we were more discriminating in 2004. For our next cruise my husband has a new camera and has 3 1G cards and a 512 mb card. I just have several 256 mb cards. We will also take our RoadStor for downloading to CDs each day.

We take TONS of photo's using the digital camera's and then transfer them to CD's. We can put them into the DVD player and watch them on the big screen TV, sort of like what my grandpa used to do with projection slides.

Before digital photography really took off, my wife used to carry the camera and would go through 10 or more rolls of 36 exporsure film. Developing expenses used to kill me after we got home and then, not all of the pictures were good. Now we can both take as many photo's as we want without worry of a huge developing bill when we get home.

The savings on developement cost alone have more than paid for the camera's and all of the digital media we've purchased. At the moment, my wife has 5 GB's of media for her 3.2 megapixel Cannon S1 camera and I have 4 GB of media for my 5 megapixel Kodak camera. That seems to be more than enough media for the both of us for right now. :D

I've only been on one cruise and we took as many as our memory cards for our camera could hold at 6 mp ea which was about 800 pictures. We bought another memory card for this cruise that has a faster read/write spead so less lagging between pictures. I have studied photography (back in the days of 35 mm cameras, though!) so my husband and I also know to take many pictures I usually take at least 4 shots of the same thing from multiple angles and settings and keep the ones I like the most.

Oh I just wanted to clear up technically we took more than 800 but previewed them all on the screen of our camera and we deleted the ones we could tell turned out awful!

I take my digital Canon, and my Nikon F4. The analogy I use is the digital is like a submachine gun (spray and pray) and the F4 is a sniper rifle. I carry enough memory for 1500 to 2000 digital pics, and how much 35mm film depends on the circumstances.

Although digital is fun and convienent, my best pics will always be from the 35mm. Its hard to beat the latitude of good 35mm film, and the optical quality and metering ability of the Nikon is unmatched by any but the very most expensive of todays professional grade digital SLR's.

The mad rush to digital means you can pick up a very nice 35mm outfit that used to cost many thousands of dollars relatively cheaply. You can get single 4x6 prints processed by places like York for less than $3.50 per roll, including shipping. With the cost of photo paper and ink, I can't really print digitals any cheaper than that. The digital advantage is in convienence, not cost, and certainly not in quality. My .02 cents worth anyway.

MD

Last 7 day I brought home almost 500. Each night I went through what I had taken that day and deleted the ones that were dupes, etc.

When I got home and loaded them on my pc and I deleted even more so I ended up with a little over 400 that I eventually saved.

Take lots, delete later, that's my moto.:D

• 5 weeks later...

Excellent advice. I even did that will old photo camera (point and shoot and SLR). I remember some advice from a pro, "in one roll of film, if you get one or two really good shots, you've done well." Of course, his definition of a really good shot might have higher standards than mine. On our cruise to Hawaii we took well over 1500 photos but only saved 450 after the final review at home. Like love2vacation, we delete after review in the cabin on TV and then again at home.

Excellent advice. I even did that will old photo camera (point and shoot and SLR). I remember some advice from a pro, "in one roll of film, if you get one or two really good shots, you've done well." Of course, his definition of a really good shot might have higher standards than mine. On our cruise to Hawaii we took well over 1500 photos but only saved 450 after the final review at home. Like love2vacation, we delete after review in the cabin on TV and then again at home.

How many?

The short answer is; As many as needed.

Coming from a long history of film shooting, I still avoid the "P" button on the camera, expose carefully, carry more than one lens and strive for the composition that I want rather than snap and crop later. I used to shoot 25-30 rolls of film very carefully (not a rich man!) during a week's vacation and since I've gone digital the number has gone way up. I'll end up with 1200-1500 "keepers" out of 1600-2000 shots, but that number may skyrocket if I'm shooting something like whale-watching where you may fire off 20-shot bursts all morning to catch a fluke or a breach. (Reduces the percentage of "keepers"...not because thay come out bad, but who needs 45 identical pictures of a whale nearly fluking?:D )

As for prints, I have found that a hi-def tv is so much better than a album of mini-lab 4x6s, that I scarcely print at all anymore. There are no fingerprints and it's easier on ageing eyes! I usually take a couple of hundred of the best photos, assemble a story/timeline and create a DVD slideshow set to appropriate music. My wife and I make copies as gifts for fellow travellers and keep one to enjoy whenever we're too long between trips. For 8x10 or larger prints, I either print at home on good, heavy photo paper, like Ilford Gallerie, or for the occasional larger prints, send them to a lab and have them printed and mounted.

Memory. Don't ask! Let's just say that I got tired of running out of memory and have "taken steps"! I also carry an Epson P2000 PhotoViewer with a 40 gb hard drive (an anniversary gift from my very understanding wife!) to back up and review photos.

I wrote a short article on "how much memory" HERE, if you're interested.

Photography is a big part of travel to me. I can't imagine going somewhere beautiful or interesting and not bringing back as much of it as possible.

It's not a contest to see how many you can take, but I don't think you can take too many either.

Dave

Pierces, thanks for the link to your article. It sums up a lot of information in a very concise and easy to understand manner.

Thanks for the kind words! That's what I was shooting for!:D

We're leaving for Alaska on Sept. 2 and expect to, as you did, take ridiculous quantities of photos! Hard to imagine a more photogenic place on earth!

Dave

A standard for me has been about 30 rolls of film. We're taking four cameras with us in a month on a cruise. We took them all last year when we went to Sedona, AZ for a week. We have video, digital, 35 mm SLR w/ various lenses, and a 35mm snapshot camera. All get used a lot, depending on conditions and what we're taking pictures of.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I don't like to take random shots and try to break a record of 4000 per week. I believe that a bit of foresight and planning a picture results in better success overall.

Second, I take more than I bring home. When I can, I eliminate those that I know are NG during the trip. That way I don't use up all the memory. I have taken only a 256 chip on a two week cruise in the Mediterranean that gave me very nice momentoes.

Some may not agree, but I like to direct you to all the pictures I have on our website: http://www.*****.com/Medit.htm

Third, I too have boxes of old pictures that are just sitting on a shelf. I also have several albums organized shortly after our trip, but now I find that using the web I can share them more easily with friends and relatives, without having them sit thru one of those, ahem, boring sessions.

• 1 month later...

I seem to be consistently around 600 shots on a 7 - 9 nighter. I shoot with 2 - 512 meg cards in a Nikon D-70. I have my laptop with me so I unload daily.

I bring all shots home, weed out the really good ones and send them to print. I also have a personal photo archive on the web for my family.

I also prefer to stage or plan the shots rather than snapping every little thing.

Usually take between 1000 and 1600 photos, it all depends. Some photos will be deleted later of course.

Never print them on paper, do not have any extra space to storage them at home. Put all my photos on cd's.

I bring my iBook on my cruises so I don't need to carry many memory cards, always one extra if something goes wrong.

Also got a digital video camera, shoot around 1-2 hours.

Archived