Seatings for dinner - can I request a table?

Hi! My DH and I are about to book our first cruise, this Aug on the Rapsody out of Galveston.

I know I will need to tell them which seating time I want. But we are having a hard time deciding. It will just be my DH and I. We really want to make the most of the port days and not be rushed, but we don't want to miss after dinner shows / activities either. Any thoughts on which might be the best for us? If you have the late seating do you go to the shows and such after dinner and if so what time are they over?

Also - how many people are at a table? Would it be possible to request a table without children? We will be celebrating our anniversary, and while we love getting to know new people, it would be nicer for us to enjoy dinner without children.

I can certainly identify with your dilemna. You can certainly request anything you want but you may not get it. My best advice is to go to the Maitre'd as soon as you get on the ship to discuss it. They are usually in the dining room from 1-4 on embarkation day. I've never personally been seated with any children but they should be able to let you know who you are seated with as soon as you get on. They can switch your table assignment then if it isn't to your liking. I think they usually try to pair people up who are similar (couples with couples, same stateroom category, etc) at least, that has been my experience. Its not infallible, though, as many here have noted.

As far as seating times, on Enchantment, most of the shows started at around 10:30 or 10:45 so you could go with either seating. We picked late seating this last time and it was full so we ended up in main seating and it actually worked out well. We didn't feel we were rushing at all to get to the shows. Sometimes time was tight getting to the dining room on time and one night we did Chops.

HTH

From past experience, the late seating usually has far less children than the early seating. We much prefer it since it gives us more time in port and time to relax before dinner. A large table is our usual preference. Luckily, we have never been seated with anyone under the age of 16 or so (as part of a family unit).

Hi! My DH and I are about to book our first cruise, this Aug on the Rapsody out of Galveston.

I know I will need to tell them which seating time I want. But we are having a hard time deciding. It will just be my DH and I. We really want to make the most of the port days and not be rushed, but we don't want to miss after dinner shows / activities either. Any thoughts on which might be the best for us? If you have the late seating do you go to the shows and such after dinner and if so what time are they over?

Also - how many people are at a table? Would it be possible to request a table without children? We will be celebrating our anniversary, and while we love getting to know new people, it would be nicer for us to enjoy dinner without children.

Usually, 1st seating the shows are after dinner and 2nd seating the shows are before dinner. Then all the nightclub activity starts around 9-9:30PM.

Request the size table you want and you usually get it. If we are traveling by oursleves we like a big table of 10. Love to meet new people.

Late seating sounds like your best bet. This is what we do which gives you plenty of time. There are more adults, less kids at late seating. It is our experience that mainly adults are seated with adults - most families will request smaller tables or be seated with other families. Some shows for late seating will be before dinner and some after. Generally the shows are right around an hour.

Does anyone know if you can request before you board to be sat at a table with adults and kids ? We went on a cruise last year and was sat with a mother and her daughter both over 30 and they did not talk very much:( We like to be around a fun group that likes to talk, drink and have a good time kids or not.:D

Voyager 12/16/06

Voyager 11/26/05

S.S. Azure Seas 11/90

We also like to meet new people. This time we are sitting all together, 18 of us. Last time we asked for a big table when it was just Mom and I and the people we were sat with never, ever came to dinner. Our table for 6 was now for 2. There was a table for four on the other side and they talked to us. It was OK but it would have been nice to have others around too. We were not looking for a romantic dinner together.:o

When I sailed this cruise I prefered the early seating. The times we leave the ports of call fit in nicely with early seating (except Key West, of course). Since you'll need to be back on ship by about 5 pm anyway this gives you time to change and transition into the evening. I also enjoyed the relaxing and fun shows AFTER dinner instead of before.

There are pros and cons for both seatings. If you don't plan on taking in the shows, then second seating is nice as you don't have to rush to get ready for dinner. However, we found that if we wanted to see the shows, this really didn't give us any extra time as the shows for second seating are during first seating. Either way we still have to get ready early, Therefore, we chose first seating for our Thanksgiving week cruise this Nov.on Rhapsody.

You are going to love this ship!

Brenda

This was the set-up when we sailed on the Splendour of the Seas last month. Right after you actually check-in and begin your walk towards the ship, the 'dining' department had a table set up for questions/requests. We wanted a table for 2 and they changed it then-and-there. They crossed out the table # on the 'sign and sail' card we'd just been handed, wrote in the new #, and off we went went! They were very nice!

Good luck!

My DW & I love early because it gives us time to digest in the event we want to eat at any of the night time events they have around the ship. Also we have time to have it settled before bed. I usually ask for a table for the number of people in my group.

Archived