Voyager vs. Oosterdam...Help

My wife and I were looking to take our parents on their first cruise in Oct. and are trying to decide between VOS and HA's Oostersdam.

Was wondering if anyone has experience on Oosterdam.

My wife and I did EOS last year and loved it, but we can get a balcony on the Oosterdam for the same price as an Oceanview on VOS.

The VOS is a repo cruise and has 6 sea days out of the 8 day cruise.Wasn't sure if that is good or bad for first timers.

My parents are 58 and we are 33. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, seeing how this will be their first cruise.

I have not been on the ships you mentioned but I have been on both lines. Realize HAL is VERY subdued-very little entertainment going on after dinner outside of the Broadwat style shows. If you like live music in the lounges-very little of that. Now I am not a super party person-I am usually asleep by 1 a.m. at the latest but I do love paino bars and live bands-not much of that on HAL. The band only played live for what they called the "coctail hour" which was a little before your dinner seating in one of the lounges.

Now they had suberb shows and food and it did seem to be a notch or 2 above RCCL-they also had great cabins-very roomy- but I would have preferred better entertainment. If there is plenty of entertainment you won't be in your cabin much anyway.

I was just on the Oosterdam the first week in March of this year, and I was just on the Mariner June 13th, 2004. I would definately pick the Voyager. The cabins on the Oosterdamn are incredibly small, and have no storage space. The bathrooms on the HAL ship are better though. We also experienced awful room service on Oosterdam. The entertainment was far superior on RCCL than HAL, IMHO. If you need any further info or clarification, let me know.

I would definitely pick the Voyager. We just returned from the 5/30 Canada sailing and were very impressed with the ship - only regrets were that the weather wasn't warmer so we couldn't enjoy the pool and outside decks (not an issue in your case) and that there weren't a few more days on board! Incidentally, I'm 58 and DH is 63 - not into the rock climbing or Johnny Rockets, but there is so much to do.

Sailed with HAL to Alaska - good food, nice cabins, but got the distinct impression that the staff just didn't like Americans - very cold. The RCCL staff couldn't have been warmer and more accommodating.

Archived