Miami Airport luggage after the cruise

marcotiel

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me with this question.

We (4 persons, 2 couples) are arriving in Miami on september 23th after our 7 day cruise with the Navigator of the Seas. Our flight to Amsterdam will not leave Miami until 9 pm which will leave us with about 12 hours to spend in Miami. Already we talked about spending the day around Bayside as our friends have never visited Miami before so we thought it is a good idea to have some lunch at the Hard Rock cafe, browse the shops and take a tour by boat through the harbour. Take a taxi to the airport to make it in time for check inn.

Here's the problem and it is called: "six pieces of luggage and four pieces of handluggage"

Any one know if we can store our luggage at the airport in the morning, take a taxi to Bayside, return by taxi at 6 pm and get our luggage to check in.

Anyone who knows if it is possible and maybe there are some people on this messageboard who have some tips for us to make sure we will not have to carry our luggage with us all day.

Thank you very much

Unlike Ft. Lauderdale, you can check your luggage very early in at Miami and then take off for the day (until your flight) with no problems.

In addition, if you are lucky enough to be flying Continental, you can check-in and check your baggage with Continental right at the Port of Miami when you get off the ship. I don't know if the other airlines do this and was thrilled to discover that Continental does.

Of course you should check in advance as policies change over night and your experience in September might be different from my experience this past January.

Get a rental car (or minivan). Luggage storage and transportation. Just did this four weeks ago, same reason. Rental car was $47.00 for a convertible, booked through Priceline as a full size car for $28.00 and upgraded at the rental counter. September is hurricane season, so rental cars will be pretty cheap.

A few suggestions from someone who learned the hard :( way this past February - post-cruise, and did it all wrong.

#1. Rent the car as the earlier poster suggested. It is the most cost-effective and time efficient option

#2. Go to South Beach. Lot's to see and do. Shop, have a meal at a nice outdoor cafe - I recommend Van Gogh's - and people watch.

You can store your luggage at the airport but it will cost you several dollars per bag (depends on the size) and the line there can be very long. When you factor in a taxi to the airport, the fee per bag, taxi to wherever you are going for the day, a taxi back to the airport, plus all the time you will be wasting going back & forth - it is a huge waste of precious time and money.

FYI: Miami is a very busy airport. Make sure you allow the full 2 hours to get checked-in/boarded there.:)

We wasted so much time and money storing our bags. wish someone had told me.:o

We are flying with the dutch carrier Martinair. I never heard of. I will have a look.

Thank you for your respons.

Any one else have any ideas?

I would bet that Continental will check your luggage all the way through.

I've flown on carriers that didn't code share but still had my luggage checked through.

I've also flown on different flights that weren't linked and had my luggage checked through. One was a commerical flight on Vanguard to Atlanta and then we boarded a charter flight to Palm Springs, CA.

Call Continental.

Agree with the above South Beach post.

• 2 months later...
In addition, if you are lucky enough to be flying Continental, you can check-in and check your baggage with Continental right at the Port of Miami when you get off the ship. I don't know if the other airlines do this and was thrilled to discover that Continental does.

Michael...I called Continental AND Royal Caribbean and neither of them had heard of this. This would be EXTREMELY convenient if this were true! Did you do this yourself at the port???

Archived