The Transatlantic Experience. Talk to me.

Hey, How's life in Sumahville? (Used to live in Cambridge, right near the line...)

I, too have done 12 TA's, starting when I was four- so the matter of being the youngest was always an issue...:D Not really. I was also on the trip with Marj/Joel and Hillary/Paul, and found the age average to be 40's...

The closest experience I've had was a similar crossing in Late November a few years ago on Crystal Harmony when I was 39. The crowd was thin...err...sparse, that is...;)...only half full ship, and mostly in their 60's and 70's, but there was a band of folks in their 30's and 40's, and the thirty of us had a great time as the ones who mostly stayed out late. But lots of fun folks in all age groups, 20's to 90's, and it didn't seem to always segragate on age lines.

The weather was literally unreal...there were several days when you couldn't see a ripple on the water because it was so calm. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ATLANTIC!!!! I walked on deck every day, and never wore more than a t-shirt and running pants, and was hot in those!

My experience with Celebrity is that the crowd skews slightly younger than some lines, but, yes, the majority of people will be older than you, no matter the line or the itinerary, as vacation $ and time off from work are involved. I say go for it. Lots of fun people, no matter what the age. If you're still concerned, I'd encourage you to choose late seating, because, regardless of age, the more active late night folks will choose that seating, and I've found it a little livelier.

Have fun,

Andrew

I have been on 4 TAs and have been lucky enough to have an aft cabin for 2 of those trips.

Apart from the fact that the balconies are much larger and have room for loungers, they are also sheltered from the wind. Since I was travelling almost due east, whatever sun there happened to be was on the balcony the majority of the day.

I found I could use the balcony every day and it was particularly pleasant to have a late night brandy watching the wake and looking up at the stars - most romatic!

Somerville's great, but depending on how long it's been since you moved, you might not recognize it! Lots of changes.

What a great surprise to find this thread has come back from the dead. Even though we nixed the fall 2007 TA, because we already have one big vacation that year, my partner and I are definitely planning to look into it in fall 2008 to make it work. I hope they rerun a Spain-Morocco-Florida/Caribbean itinerary with Millennium or Century.

Yeah, that '07 Century TA is tempting, and the prices are great (better than the Med cruise we're on) but, unfortunately, the timing doesn't work well for us...Hppe they repeat it for you in '08.

We're looking at the Mercury for Aus/NZ in '08, so might miss out on TA's that year....unless I can get my partner to relent on a QM2 crossing:D

Was just in Somerville last year (My cousing went to Tufts, and lived there for a few years after getting her Master's) Sure is different than when I was there in the mid '80's!

Andrew

• 3 years later...

Archived