Dover to Dublin and a glimpse of Ireland

tgh

We have a few days ex the Constellation before flying out of Heathrow.

We have never seen the green Isle and are toying with the idea of a few days in Dublin.

Hiring a car off in Dover , driving to Holy head and then catching the ferry is one option , although nobody seems to want to offer a one way hire.

The other is training it to lhr and flying .

What should one do when attempting to get a glimpse Ireland in two days ?

Dover to Holyhead is a pretty long drive, but can be done in a day. However, beware the very limited ferry sailing times (from memory, only two sailings on the slower ferry per day, one at about 9am and one at about 2pm). You may be wise to stay overnight in Holyhead before sailing, thus losing a day of your break. Ferry operators are Stena and Irish Ferries. There is also a fast ferry service with more options for sailing times, but the Stena fast ferry goes into Dun Laoghaire (a few miles from Dublin). Irish Ferries fast ferry goes into Dublin. Sorry, this is all done from memory as have limited time at present, but check their web sites for exact details.

My v. humble suggestion is a day in Dublin using the green and cream open-top tour buses (take an umbrella; it isn't called the Emerald Isle for nothing). You can hop on and off as you wish, the drivers are very well informed and entertaining, and the buses take you to all the main tourist attractions, as well as driving through some of the normal residential areas (quite a contrast).

Day 2, possibly a tour of the Wicklow Mountains. Alternatively, you are only about 100 miles from Belfast (v. beautiful city, ignore any preconceived ideas, almost entirely devoid of tourists).

Enjoy your trip; it is a beautiful city.

Mary

Hello Tgh

I just came on your post tonight and having driven from dover to holyhead or liverpool too many times to count I would not recomend it to anyone on holiday but I would look at maybe Southampton airport to Belfast or Dublin though you would have to check on the Dublin flights .I think you might be able to hire a car in belfast and dehire it in dublin or maybe the Aircoach would be an option from Belfast city centre to Dublin airport. try Aircoach.ie and flybe.co.uk from Southampton. Airt

Thanks to you both for the info.

Only half sensible option is to fly Lhr>Dublinand return, as we both fly out of lhr.

At best we get two full days on Irish soil.

Present inclinations are to fly in , hire a car and stay overnight in the Wicklow region. After that we could buzzaround and see a bit of the countryside.

It would be great to drive Wicklow>Limerick>Galway>Dublin..

Thats about 450Km .. a very short distance by Aussie standards .. but perhaps a bit ambitious in the Emerald Isle.

All a bit silly perhaps.. but at least we get a look at the country and can come back in the future and look more closely.

tgh, just bear in mind the state of the roads in Ireland; they are glued together with bits of old rubbish that they find lying around. You'll be pushed to average much more than 30mph. Also, no dual carriageways outside Dublin area. Galway is absolutely beautiful, and not many tourists (they are all rushing around the Ring of Kerry).

Hope you can fit in at least half a day in Dublin.

Mary

We found it less expensive to take National Coach into London and fly from London to Dublin than flying directly from Southampton.

In Dublin I highly recommend the Ariel House Hotel in Ballsbridge. http://www.ariel-house.net/index.html From Dublin Airport take the Air Coach to Jury's, Ballsbridge and walk one block to the B&B. It is quite near the Dart Station and easy to get into the city center.

It seems all too hard.. Baggage allowances are lower for the local carriers .. all sorts of issues.

I think we will hire a car at Dover and check out Devon or maybe Wales.

Much less stressful, we can cover the miles or vegetate as the mood stikes us.

Thanks for all the help

tgh, I went through this last fall. We have longer, 6 days, and considered flying to Dublin as well (never considered driving there). One our options also was hiring a car in Dover and just bopping around for a few days. I did find one Dover car rental place that would do a one-way rental, Dover to Heathrow. This way you can plan a pleasant itinerary over to the west country, or up to Oxford, or just stay in Kent and see the sights there.

(BTW, we decided to fly back to Portugal from Heathrow, after a morning in Canterbury. We have a private driver to do this.)

Archived