Question about RCCL...

Hi, if anyone can help, that would be great with these questions:

What exactly is a hump cabin?

If I take my laptop on board a cruise, where's a good place to store it safely while I am at a port? In a suitcase? Where else can I keep it safe?

Thanks!

1) It's a cabin located on the Hump of the ship. (For instance, on most RCCL ships, there is a area that visibly sticks out of the ship. The balconies are usually larger on these cabins)

2) Good Question. Can't answer that one.

I think I kept my ThinkPad (x series) in the vanity drawer..You know the long desk type one..

It really should be safe even left out,but I kept mine put away,mainly to keep it from getting bumped around,or stuff dumped or spilled on it.

There is plenty of room to store it in your suitcase or its case..

Do NOT leave your laptop out in the open. Even if you trust your cabin steward you should not leave your laptop out in the open. I have walked into my cabin while the cabin steward was cleaning the room without the cabin steward knowing I was there.

First of all, the door is wide open while the cabin steward is cleaning your room. Sometime the cabin steward needs to get something and leaves your room, with the door still open. Other times their back is to the door and the vaccum cleaner makes so much noice they don't hear me come in.

I bring a cable lock. I also lock the suitcase the laptop is in. If I cannot find something to lock the cable to, I lock it to a second suitcase.

A word about hump cabins: Love them, especially the exact center of the hump or the sides where the balconies are somewhat larger (not as big as aft, but bigger than the usual ones). Edited: TrueBlueTory: I must make a minor clarification to your post. I know you say "usually" larger (so obviously not always), but I think "specific ones" would be more accurate. The balconies on the end curves of the hump and the balconies of the hump cabins on either side of the elevators (Radiance class) are indeed larger. The center and next-to-center balconies really aren't. We don't mind that the center humps are not larger because the views are so amazing, and we just love the location.

beachchick

I noticed that you are from St. Maarten. Love it there! Do you by any chance know anything about the Dolphin swims on the island?

Sandi

Hi,

Thanks for the compliments on our island. :D

There is no dolphin swim here as yet. Word has it that its under construction or development. Not sure when it will start. But there is one in Anguilla which is a short ferry ride away.

Thanks for the information on the "hump" cabin. We just booked a cabin right in the middle of the hump (9584) on our Radiance of the Seas cruise to Alaska next summer. I've always heard the views were the best from these cabins; now we'll be able to find out ourselves.

We no longer take our laptop along, but when we did, we would store it in a locked carry on bag under the bed.

We just bought extra memory cards for the camera and don't bother to keep up with anyone while we're on vacation. Fortunately, we can leave all our work behind when we leave, I know that's not the case for many people.

We have always left our laptop in our cabin without locking it away, and have never had a problem.

The hump cabins are the best for the view. Our balconly was not larger, we were in the middle.

Kim

We have always left our laptop in our cabin without locking it away, and have never had a problem.

The hump cabins are the best for the view. Our balconly was not larger, we were in the middle.

Kim

This reminds me of my friend who lives in Thousand Oaks (one of the safest cities in America). He always left his wallet in his unlocked car. One day the police were at his front door, returning his wallet to him. Now he locks his car and takes his wallet into the house with him.

As to your laptop, I hope you don't have anything that cannot be replaced on it.

"If I take my laptop on board a cruise, where's a good place to store it safely while I am at a port? In a suitcase? Where else can I keep it safe?"

The in room safes are small, however, I believe my husband has managed to squeeze his laptop into the safe. It depends on how compact your laptop is.

"If I take my laptop on board a cruise, where's a good place to store it safely while I am at a port? In a suitcase? Where else can I keep it safe?"

The in room safes are small, however, I believe my husband has managed to squeeze his laptop into the safe. It depends on how compact your laptop is.

Most laptops have a place to insert a cable lock. I use that and attached it to something in the cabin. If there is nothing in the cabin to attach it to, then I attach it to another large suit case. Then the case that has the laptop is also locked.

Archived