Med 2007?

DisneyJen

Instead of hijacking the other threads I thought I would start a new one :p

DH and I have never sailed the Med ... and I think SD would be the perfect way for us to be introduced to that area. I think with some help from some friends we can talk DH into visiting this part of the world.

So, which itinerary is the best for first-timers in the Med?

Ctbjr I am sure you will have some wonderful input on this topic.

Thanks for the input carlyecat and surfklutz.

We have toured, on land, France, Belgium, Amsterdam and Sweden. We have not done Italy and I think this might be the best way to see it ... especially with a few days in Rome.

More thoughts?

Italy would be great. The Amafli Coast area is beautiful. We did it on Windsurf and it included Dubrovnik which was fabulous.

Here's a great one:

DatePorts of CallArriveDepart16-JUN-2007Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy (Embarkation) 2:00 PM 6:00 PM 17-JUN-2007Capri, Italy Morning Afternoon 17-JUN-2007Sorrento, Italy Evening Overnight 18-JUN-2007Sorrento, Italy Evening 19-JUN-2007Positano, Italy Morning Evening 20-JUN-2007Giannutri, Italy Noon Evening 21-JUN-2007Viareggio, Italy Morning Late evening 22-JUN-2007Portofino, Italy Morning Late evening 23-JUN-2007Monte Carlo, Monaco (Debarkation) 6:00 AM 10:00 AM

Gosh, I guess I have been asleep at the switch here. Sorry to be slow chiming in. I do think that you are correct, DJ, that seeing the Med via SD is the way to go! I also think that the other posters are right on target with their suggestions.

We have done a number of itineraries on SD in the Med and after our July cruise will have cruised the area from Monte Carlo/Nice on the west to Istanbul on the east. I can't yet speak to the Athens/Istanbul portion but have to say that so far our favorite areas are the French and Italian Rivieras. We also absolutely LOVED Croatia and would suggest an itinerary that includes a port (or 2) in Croatia if possible. Mrs. CTBJR developed quite a liking for a Croatian wine that she met on board SD that week, in fact.

That should give you something to chew on for now and to discuss at dinner on Saturday. Please keep us posted on your discussions and include us in your planning, if you're so inclined.

Must be spening too much time in the office Ctbjr:p Of course we will keep you in the loop on planning as we wouldn't dream of sailing SD without you and Mrs:D

Croatia looks really interesting.

Stay tuned.

• 4 weeks later...

We are about to post the Istanbul to Rome itinerary. This way we get a little of Istanbul and Greece and a little bit of Italy. Getting very excited to do the booking process. I just hope that that cruise isn't chartered out. I've read that a lot of SD's cruises are.

I just returned from my travel agent and booked the Istanbul to Rome cruise in Sept. 2007. My only question now is "How do I wait that long."

I looked at other cruise lines for similar trips, but all of them had a little bit in the itinerary I didn't want. We've never sailed on SD before, but love the small number of passengers, the casual atmosphere (especially in dress). The only thing I'm not crazy about is no balcony, but I guess we can live with it, if everything else is so good.

Anyone else thinking of this cruise?

Mary Lou

• 2 months later...

Hi Disney Jen....

sorry to jump in late with this one...but I haven't been participating on the "board" for a while....our last cruise on SD was in June 2005 when we treated ourselves to a 2 week back to back cruise from Nice to Rome to Nice ....unfortunately they seem to have dropped this itinerary....but it was just perfect......we even had "carlylecat" on board with us for one of the weeks..."purr..fect"...

anyway as I was saying..the cruises were fantastic and a great way to see the French and Italian Riviera's...but if I had to choose just one of the weeks it would have been the Italian Riviera cruise...our ports of call were slightly different to now but we managed to fit in Portofino, Positano and Portovenere (my favourite) as well as Sorrento and Capri ...loads of people went ashore to eat dinner at the Hotel Splendido while we were in Portofino which though I am sure was a wonderful occasion could not beat the perfection for me of a romantic dinner for 2 on the deck of SD1 looking up at Portofino in all it's night time glory..... the guests at the Splendido had to make do with looking at little old me down in the bay...

having said that... I did adore Corsica and it's definitely somewhere I would go back to ...but Sardinia was a real disappointment as the Aga Khan refused permission for SD1 to go anywhere near the Emerald coast....

it's amazing that we have travelled all over the world but that was the first time I had visited any of those ports of call....but what a way to do it...SD did us proud.....and I'm sure that where ever you finally choose in Europe your SD cruise will be brill....

good to be back..

xxH

OK not to gloat, well maybe just a little. :D This Wed we leave for Dubrovnik for 2 weeks on SeaDream!!!! Croatian coast, Turkey and The Greek Isles. We've been planning this so long I can't believe the time has come. Look here I am on Sunday afternoon, supposed to get caught up on the office work and I'm back lurking on the cruise board! Very Excited!!!

Bon Voyage Magooatsea!!

Sounds like a wonderful trip. I think DH would have to drag me off the ship, kicking and screaming, after two weeks:p

I like ctbjr's suggestion on the computer card so we can live vicariously through you:D

I'm a virgin, errrr I mean a "newbie" when it comes to computer cards at sea.

How do I do that? Would be glad to post for everyone. I've always enjoyed everyone's banter and it's obvious I'm a bit addicted to the computer, so I'm sure I'll go into withdrawls if I don't get on one!

Not to worry Magooatsea as we all were

virgin, errrr I mean a "newbie"
at one time:p

I didn't handle the connectivity when we were on SD. I left that to DH and Ctbjr. I am sure Ctbjr will be able to fill you in on the process which I am sure is quite painless. As I recall it involved talking to the communications/radio officer but I could recall wrong.

I am married to a self-confessed "Crackberry" so I know all about technology withdrawl:rolleyes:

There are 2 options for computing at sea on SeaDream. There are 2 computers in the Library on Deck 4. You can purchase an access card at the Reception Desk that allows you a total of 60 minutes on those computers for perhaps $20 or so. Unused time will be credited to your account at the end of the cruise if you turn in your access card.

The second option is to either bring a laptop or use a laptop provided by the ship in your stateroom. The cost is $35/day and the radio officer on the ship will set it up for you.

Hope that helps. Looking forward to your onboard reports!!!

Archived