Granduer cabin 8516- BEWARE!!

I returned from my wedding cruise on may 12th.

On the late afternoon of May 11th(about an hour and a half before dinner), We returned to our GS 8516 to find a waterfall pouring out of the light fixture above the vanity and the bed. Everything was soaked, and with about an inch of water in the drawers, it was obvious it had been "raining" in there for a little while.

Maintenance came and ripped out the ceiling and moved us to another cabin,(huge inconvenience) The blow dryers and the cleaning crew were in there before we even had all of our things out and before the leak was fixed.

Just wanted to tell all you future cruisers to beware, we were never told the cause nor if it was fixed. With the amount of water, I would certainly be concerned about mold and funkey smells in the future.( it wasn't very nice smelling water!)

RCCL hasn't exactly made good on the situation. We lost many of our wedding cards and sentimental things from our wedding that we had sitting on the vanity. We were given a credit for the amount of the things we can put a "price" on. But the priceless irreplacable things all we got was a "sorry, we can't do anymore for you".:mad:

Sorry to here this. My first cruise, the pipe broke for the pool and flooded our cabin. Some of our cloths and the floor was soaked. We got just a small credit and had to live with it (wet socks every time we were in the cabin). Others had the beds soaked with all clothes, they were very unhappy as the cruise was booked.

That's sad to hear rara:(. It is also sucks on how they acted towards you (you were a "TV star" after all;)). I would write a clear and consise letter to the CEO on how you feel like you were treated. They should of brought up the cruise director and/or hotel director up there to talk to you directly. Even though those things were ruined and everything, you still have one thing, you 're still married!!:)

~JS

But the priceless irreplacable things all we got was a "sorry, we can't do anymore for you".:mad:

:confused: If not money.... what could they do for "irreplacable" things???? I'm not trying to start anything and I do feel for you being on your honeymoon and all and "icky" water soaking everything has to be the worst but other than an I'm sorry and money to replace what you can what more could they do?

I'm so sorry to hear about your honeymoon disaster. We were on that cruise with you, on Deck 3 aft. If you get no satisfaction from the cruise line, I would contact Baltimore Sun travel editor Bruce Friedland, tell him what happened and suggest a story on incidents that cruise lines do/do not take responsibility for involving guests on board. Sometimes a call from a newspaper reporter is all it takes to spark a corporate giant into rectifying an unfair situation. I know -- I'm a newspaper writer in Virginia. Good luck.

priceless irreplacable things

I know how you feel! Along with many other items, we lost some priceless and irreplaceable items in a fire a few years ago. There was no way we could have protected them, however it seems that you could have put your cards in the safe if they meant that much to you.

What items did you lose that had a "price" on them and do you mind telling us what your credit amount was for?

Not to start something, but I don't know what you could have brought along that was so valuable and irreplacable. And if it was, why would you leave it laying on the vanity.

I would hate to come back to my cabin to find water everywhere....no one would be happy with that. And they moved you to a dry cabin, and issued a credit for what you could "value".

What more would have made you happy? A totally free cruise?

I am sure they did not plan the break of pipes, or want you to have water in your cabin. But things do happen, and they did try to correct what they could for you. I hope the rest of the cruise was a memory that you can tell your grandkids and enjoy for a life time.

Congratulations and best wishes on the marriage~

Not to start something, but I don't know what you could have brought along that was so valuable and irreplacable. And if it was, why would you leave it laying on the vanity.

I would hate to come back to my cabin to find water everywhere....no one would be happy with that. And they moved you to a dry cabin, and issued a credit for what you could "value".

What more would have made you happy? A totally free cruise?

I am sure they did not plan the break of pipes, or want you to have water in your cabin. But things do happen, and they did try to correct what they could for you. I hope the rest of the cruise was a memory that you can tell your grandkids and enjoy for a life time.

Congratulations and best wishes on the marriage~

I have to agree here. What else did you want? Is this a pitch for a free cruise? Sounds like the reimbursed you for everything you put a "monetary value" on, so what else did you want. New cabin, reimbursement for quoted losses. What else did you want? It's not cleare in your post what you are looking for.

It is quite a bummer to have the last night on your honeymoon disrupted.

I can see that the couple would want another free cruise, but that's asking a bit much. Unlike having a hotel give you a free night (or a credit for a nights stay), that's not possible with a cruise unless they give you the whole cruise.

I returned from my wedding cruise on may 12th.

First of all, congratulations on your marriage. May you have a long healthy and happy life together.

On the late afternoon of May 11th(about an hour and a half before dinner), We returned to our GS 8516 to find a waterfall pouring out of the light fixture above the vanity and the bed. Everything was soaked, and with about an inch of water in the drawers, it was obvious it had been "raining" in there for a little while.

Maintenance came and ripped out the ceiling and moved us to another cabin,(huge inconvenience)

Sounds like a good idea to me, and a better choice than staying there!!!!!
The blow dryers and the cleaning crew were in there before we even had all of our things out and before the leak was fixed.
Sounds like another good idea. Are you now faulting them for being quick to remedy the situation?!?!?!?!
Just wanted to tell all you future cruisers to beware, we were never told the cause nor if it was fixed. With the amount of water, I would certainly be concerned about mold and funkey smells in the future.( it wasn't very nice smelling water!)
They may not have known right away what the cause was, nor thought that it would make any difference to you. Does it matter?
RCCL hasn't exactly made good on the situation. We lost many of our wedding cards and sentimental things from our wedding that we had sitting on the vanity. We were given a credit for the amount of the things we can put a "price" on. But the priceless irreplacable things all we got was a "sorry, we can't do anymore for you".:mad:
I am very sorry that you lost things that cannot be replaced. You say that they gave you a credit for things you could put a pricetag on. That's good. What could they do for the things that have no price? Nothing.

They are called "accidents" for a reason. If someone had done this deliberately, it would have been called an "on purpose". :)

Be glad that you have each other, that this happened on the penultimate day of your cruise, and that you have been reimbursed for monetary losses.

It is always a shame to lose mementos, but the wedding is just an event; your marriage (I hope) is forever.

We just booked our first cruise with RCCL on the Grandur while reading through the message board I read your message. We were debating the Family Suite that we would like (all are on the 8th deck) and decided against the two in the midship for the simple fact that they are directly under the swiming pools.

I am sorry that you lost momentos from you wedding were you looking for an explanation of where the water was comming from or wanting additional compensation for the lost momentos? You message seemed to list both as points which you were unhappy about.

WOW maybe it is just me, and if so.. then so be it. However working in the cruise industry previously i have seen the lines give 50-100% credit for future sailings for much less.

A previous poster said something like this is not the cruise lines fault.. & that "things happen" :confused: yes things do happen, and responsible parties should be held accountable. This sounds like a maintenance issue ( RCI responsibility ) I dont think telling someone that is on their honeymoon cruise that they should just be happy, is appropriate. Also, why would you put the valuable items that are not replaceable in the safe if they have no value to anyone else but you??? invitations, announcements.. those are valuable but only to the couple who has just been married.

Now, do I think they should have a "free" cruise.. probably not, but some compensation towards a future one would not be a stretch.

Now before someone starts hollering that I am saying this just because I have only cruised with Carnival b4, stop.. I have not even posted on the Carnival boards, and the only reason I sailed with Carnival so much is cuz I worked for em & they were free!

I think we all should have just shown some support, besides the OP was actually offering info for future guests to be aware of this cabin situation!

-Mike

While I sympathize with the OP.....why, oh why, does anyone bring something "priceless" on a vacation with them? Do they not know that bad things (accidents) can happen? If something is so important to you - leave it safe at home!!!!! How can a cruise line replace something that is "priceless"? I would never bring something irreplaceable on any type of vacation! Period. Ship happens.........and that is why I don't EVER bring something that I could not bear to lose on a vacation. I think the OP needs to take some responsibility for their actions. jmho

Maybe I am confused.. the OP said this was a "wedding" cruise. These sentimental items would have been on the cruise, if they were married on board. Maybe it was just a honeymoon cruise, but her first sentence was.. "wedding cruise"!

Mike

Let's take a walk down memory lane. Remember how special your honeymoon was? (Those of us fortunate to take one) It sounds as though RCCL was less than sympathetic to these folks.

Afterall it was RCCL that they chose to spend the honeymoon with.

Imagine finding a flood in your cabin if it weren't your honeymoon.

I say free cruise.

Let's take a walk down memory lane. Remember how special your honeymoon was? (Those of us fortunate to take one) It sounds as though RCCL was less than sympathetic to these folks.

Afterall it was RCCL that they chose to spend the honeymoon with.

Imagine finding a flood in your cabin if it weren't your honeymoon.

I say free cruise.

A free cruise for an incident that inconvenienced them on the last evening of the whole cruise? I disagree that rccl was "less than sympathetic." She states they were moved, and compensated. I cannot imagine thinking a 100% compensation would be expected for something that occurred less than 24 hours before the cruise ended. That sounds extreme to me!

While I sympathize with the OP.....why, oh why, does anyone bring something "priceless" on a vacation with them? Do they not know that bad things (accidents) can happen? If something is so important to you - leave it safe at home!!!!! How can a cruise line replace something that is "priceless"? I would never bring something irreplaceable on any type of vacation! Period. Ship happens.........and that is why I don't EVER bring something that I could not bear to lose on a vacation. I think the OP needs to take some responsibility for their actions. jmho

She was married DURING the cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=6636209#post6636209 I'm not sure how many people would put their cards and wedding mementos in a safe. Maybe, she wanted to admire them and soak up the experience.

I believe RCI should at least give her a credit towards her next cruise for her last night that was ruined. I'm sure it ruined her dinner and her most precious items were soaked. The poster was simply telling people not to book that room, because of mold/mildew issues. Also, because she wasn't told what the cause was and wanted to warn others it could happen to them. Why attack her? Why is everyone so quick to judge?

I looked at some of the OP's earlier posts and it seems that the wedding took place on the second day of the cruise so it would seem that she received all those "priceless" items during the cruise. Unfortunately, she never really had the opportunity to safeguard these items. A free cruise seems like a bit much since this happened the last, however, some sort of partial credit to use on a future cruise would seem appropriate.

RaRa,

I completely understand how devastating the loss of your wedding momentos were. Afterall you had a group about 34 onboard, had bachelor and bachelorettes parties onboard and in PR which I'm sure youwere given a lot of things that were priceless. Total strangers gave you gifts that while not worth much surely were special to you. Why I remember you had at least 3 "original" wedding veils of which the baseball cap was my favorite. Did the blowup dolls survive?

How do you replace gift cards and various wedding momentos. You entertained everyone at Karaoke, the star of the Newlywed Game, and was glowing the entire time. Just all around a very good person. I know a lot of people demand a cruise for missing a port but having wet clothes, having to to pack and move,your wedding momentos drenched and then handled in a manner which they can't be restored (understand RCCL urgency) I think should get more than $200 credit. By the way, when your leather sandals dry they will probably shrink and be unusable.

Ok, I was not looking for a pity party here, nor was I trying to create an issue, I'm just not that way. I merely wanted to make the next occupant of that cabin aware that there may be a mold issue to consider... a health issue I believe.

As for all of you who are criticizing me for my priceless and irreplacable items, I am speakeing of little things I collected from my wedding site and from St Thomas to put in my wedding scrapbook. (you scrapbookers know what I mean) Not exactly things you put in the safe. by the way it was all wet in there also!

Yes it was my wedding cruise, I wanted to admire my cards and other gifts I had received, even the poem read at my ceremony was given to me and it is now ruined.

So all of you who are so quick to judge, think back to how special your wedding was and how much you waqnted to hold on to every memory from it.

I don't think a free cruise is the answer here, but you try to be shoved out of your room by people you don't know grabbing all of your things, shoving them in bags and just dumping them in a new room leaving you to try and find your toothbrush goodness knows where 30 mins before the last dinner of the cruise so you can go and tell all 38 of your sailing guests that this has happened and you won't be able to spend the last night with them.

No RaRa you certainly are not the pity seeking type. To have an unremovable black mark on your wedding gown courtesy of alterations....and then tell them to "forget about it" is not a person trying "to make good" on any little situation.

I still hope you get a free cruise...and hope it will be on my next cruise. You are just so cheerful! I really enjoyed meeting you and your new spouse!

By the way....insist they throw in aobut 20 extra Ben and Jerry's free coupons! You know where I live.

I am so sorry for what happened to you. I too am a momento keeper/scrapbooker and I would be crushed. That is why in case of fire, my husband knows to get the photos out and I will get the kids. ;) You can not replace those things entirely but you could ask guests to resign books, rewrite the poem, rewrite gift checks:D etc. In 10 years it may be good for a little laugh but right now it hurts really bad.

I am also sorry everyone jumped on you as soon as this post went out. You needed to vent a little and this was the perfect place. Why others think that everyone is looking for a FREE CRUISE is beyond me. Can't someone just complain a little? Maybe the OP would have been happier if they "helped" her move instead of shoving her stuff into bags without regard for personal items. Good luck in the future! Have a wonderful marrriage!

Rara...

Congrats to you!

I've been married 20 years now. We were married outside at my father's house. The day we got married it STORMED! My dad's house was too small to have the wedding in. By the time the ceremony was supposed to happen, the rain stopped, but there was still so much mud. My wedding dress was NASTY and stained. I'd rather have my man than the "stuff". I'm sure you agree. It seems many good marriages start out with a "catastrophe". :) We didn't even have a honeymoon. I bet your ceremony was beautiful. I'm soooooo envious. We took our first cruise last October for our 20th anniversary. Now, that was an experience! We were originally going to cruise out of Mobile. Then Katrina hit and the ship was used for the victims. I decided to rebook a cruise out of Tampa. Well, wouldn't you know it....Wilma brewed up and was heading towards Tampa. We had to start driving to Tampa, because Carnival didn't cancel the cruise. Nope, we didn't have cruise insurance. :) Needless to say, we sailed out a few days late and didn't go to any of our ports of call. We even stayed in a hotel with all the hurricane evacuees. It was quite an experience. We still had a blast and are hooked on cruising. I will now buy insurance, though! My marriage started out during a storm and my twentieth was no different. Good luck to you!

Not exactly things you put in the safe. by the way it was all wet in there also!

OK, I guess I am the only person that puts everything in the safe. :D Fire proof, yes! I didn't think that it wouldn't be water proof. :( I really am sorry for your losses and inconvenience. Hope you get what you want out of all this and thanks for the warning.

Archived