Is the coffee free on HAL?

Just Cruisen'

Yes, it's free. And with as bad as that stuff tastes, it ought to be free! Some people like it, though, but I have no idea why! They have half & half and milk, no flavored creamers. The only place you have to pay for coffee is in the specialty coffee shop.

• 8 months later...

On most of our cruises we have found the coffee to be terrible - me I can take it or leave it I prefer tea but my DH has to have it. We pack a box of Folgers or Maxwell House coffee singles. They look like tea bags and taste good nothing like instant actually tastes fresh brewed and you just have to add hot water like you would on a tea bag!

• 1 month later...

Hal does have free coffee in the dining rooms, buffet, and room service. We found HAL's coffee very drinkable.

On Princess, the coffee in the buffet was usually bitter and we added water and cream. Princess has a coffee card to get brewed coffee, I think brewed coffee has a fee in any place you order it. The dining room coffee was better than the buffet but I'm not sure it was brewed.

Also on HAL in the dining room espresso and cappucino are served at no extra charge. And it is excellent! I had it each night after dinner with dessert.

Hope this helps somebody!

Just curious, when people describe coffee on various lines as being "too strong" or "too bitter," what are they comparing it to? I don't drink coffee every day but when I do I like it fairly strong (this is from someone who loves Cafe du Monde-style chicory coffee.)

• 2 weeks later...

It is never too strong for me and my husband. We don't like to see the spoon in our coffee mug for sure, and the coffee we make at home is, to us, better than any Starbucks, Maxwell House Columbian Bold. We like 1/2 & 1/2 as well. All that to say, we have never found any cruise ship that had very good coffee. Personal opinion, absolutely. :D gg, deep in the heart of East Texas where all the dogwoods, azaleas, red buds, iris, and daffodils are blooming. :)

Archived